IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Anyways I just fell in love with the STI today, my friend just bought one and he let me give it a run and I was impressed so much. Anyways to shorten this out

I have a 2006 Acura RSX Type-s (Blue) with 7000miles bought it off the dealer brand new and I put $4000.00 down and as of today my payoff is $23000.00 (Roughly)

anyways Im just trying to get some advice from people here that have traded-in, sold cars in past and can help me out.

I really want an STI but I don't know how to get rid of the RSX my payments are $465.00/month so I would want my payments for the STI to be in that range and it is affordable for me and my budget. But I know the STI is more off hand but what can I do to get rid of the RSX and get in a STI? is it possible, am I going to loose money? anyone that has some expert advise help me out and get me in an STI ASAP ;)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
superbike said:
I have a 2006 Acura RSX Type-s (Blue) with 7000miles bought it off the dealer brand new and I put $4000.00 down and as of today my payoff is $23000.00 (Roughly)
Wow! What's your APR? I've seen those car's sell for 23K. And since they've stopped production for this car I would think you could have gotten it dirt cheap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YeloFva said:
Wow! What's your APR? I've seen those car's sell for 23K. And since they've stopped production for this car I would think you could have gotten it dirt cheap.
well it was the color i guess i got it a lil above sticker price 24,460 + tax + other crap my apr is 4.9%

·
Premium Member
5,283 Posts
First, you topic header makes my brain hurt. Second, prepared to get "talked to" because your young and want an STi, someone will say somethin. Third, your car is only worth 18k-21k ( http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/acura/rsx/index.html )at the dealership so your gonna get even less than that. So your upside down with the car. Even finding at 04 STI in the low 20's your car payment is gonna stay about the same. Fourth, How did you put down 4K on a car you paid just over 24k for, but still owe 23? That doesnt make sense. Fifth, welcome to the forum ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crewchief said:
First, you topic header makes my brain hurt. Second, prepared to get "talked to" because your young and want an STi, someone will say somethin. Third, your car is only worth 18k-21k ( http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/acura/rsx/index.html )at the dealership so your gonna get even less than that. So your upside down with the car. Even finding at 04 STI in the low 20's your car payment is gonna stay about the same. Fourth, How did you put down 4K on a car you paid just over 24k for, but still owe 23? That doesnt make sense. Fifth, welcome to the forum ;)
i got the perm. wax, and lojack :( dealer lubed me well
they said the perm.wax is good to keep the color etc.. and lojack so bad people wont steal my car. but i think i got the KY extra lube done on me
so ya 4G downpayment = freebie
it sux so bad this rsx is a piece of **** by the way, so slow it just revs high but stays in one place doesnt even move im so sad that these sleezy sales men took advantage of me like that a nice young school boy :( but seriously i dunno what to do?

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
The rsx type s is not a POS by any means. Seems like you paid alot for the rsx though...

Its not slow, and it does rev high which is a plus. I used to have one.

Car salesman are always sleezy, they are salespeople.

What should you do? Well you just bought a new car. Instantly it depreciated by a whole lot. I say look for a used STi if anything so you wont be upside down.

·
Premium Member
5,283 Posts
superbike, how old are you? 16? I say look on autotrader.com for a used 04 STI. If you dont wanna get screwed again, do your homework first, than buy, not the other way around. RSX's are not pos and 210hp is not bad for your first car (I assume).

·
Registered
305 Posts
This is probably not what you want to hear but my advice to you would be to keep the RSX and try to pay the loan down to the point where you will no longer be upside down. Then save up some money for a decent down payment, sell the RSX and buy the STi. Unless you have money to burn this is the only sensible option. You just bought a new car and like LightWerkz said you took a huge hit on the depreciation the minute you drove it off the lot. The RSX is a nice car. Enjoy it until you are in a better position to buy a STi.

In the meantime I would read up on techniques for dealing with car salesmen. They are a sleazy lot. You have to really know the tricks of the trade when dealing with those guys or they'll take you to the cleaners. Edmunds has some good advice. http://www.edmunds.com/advice/ Also do an internet search. You'll find some good info.

·
Registered
451 Posts
before you pull the trigger on any new car purchase i think you need to do some research on buying cars. IE read the tricks that dealers use to get you to pay full price.

on the one hand you are in a better place, because you have a car that works. you can walk in and tell the sti salesman i can't get out of this car unless XXXX. and they might sell. chances are though they won't because you owe way to much on the car.

my advice: pay a little extra on the car payment every month, keep it for at least a year, and make sure the sti is the car you want to get. seems like you're changing your mind a lot.

you could look at a Used evo, i see those near 21-22 all the time. the biggets issue is you're rolling your debt... meaning you are upside down on your loan as soon as you bought the car.

I was upside down on my old car a couple G's which meant the discounts the dealer gave me on my car were worthless. but the STi is going to be in my garage for a LONG time. I bought it as an upgrade car, and there isn't much to upgrade away from an STi

·
Registered
412 Posts
ouch. 23K still remaining AND you put down 4K? RSX Type S is a great car, love the interior. FYI, RSX has a great resale value, but right now, you are upside down. only thing you can do is trade her in for a used STI. i would just keep the RSX and start modding her to your likings.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have an RSX Type S, and trust me... the year we have in RSX type S is a great year for modding. My RSX Type S was neck a neck with an EVO 8 MR with an ARC intake, and HKS Carbon Ti exhaust. we went from a 60mph and 10mph roll. and both times I only lost by 1 car... pretty dam good for a 205whp car. :) I've got an Injen CAI, Apexi WS Exhaust, Hondata ECU Reflash, megan racing header, megan racing testpipe, and hondata IMG. With N/A bolt ons these cars can MOVE. all of the EVO guys I cruised with were very impressed with the RSX. But now that I have the STi, I bring that out more often!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
i use to have an rsx and i loved it. the car has power man just turbo it. i would say your going to lose alot of money if you plan on selling it anytime soon. and it seems that your 17 or so. i would recommend you keeping it but otherwise get a use sti or find somehow to sell it for 24k but i highly think yuo can get it for 23k.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
i'd say stay with rsx. since there are so much mods for those cars and its got great potential. one of the best honda engine ever made. i've seen many type beating s2000 with just intake and exhaust. By the way, i think rsx is a great car. saves lot of gas and fast when you need to be.
just keep your car and wait until new sti or new something comes out. sti chasiss is a pretty old. and new sti will definitly improve a lot.

but if you really want sti. you will be paying more than what you should. sicne you owe 23k, and you probably only get 15k on your car. you will pay 8k on top of your new sti. you can get decent 04 or 05 for around 22k.

just keep your car and turbo it. it will be faster than anything else in the street.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Keep the RSX and wait for the STi in 2008. That way you won't be upside down in your loan. Cheer up! the RSX is a great car.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
if it is a 23k payoff and you want a new sti which around 32k otd. your looking at 9k negative equity. which means its about 41k + apr of about 6%= $43,460. 450 a month is about 32,400 for 6 years which means you need to put down about 12k. i was in your shoes but only had 2k down and 3k negative equity. but i could afford 600 a month. so how much can you put down? oh and don't run your credit until you are sure about the purchase.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
disturbed1 said:
if it is a 23k payoff and you want a new sti which around 32k otd. your looking at 9k negative equity. which means its about 41k + apr of about 6%= $43,460. 450 a month is about 32,400 for 6 years which means you need to put down about 12k. i was in your shoes but only had 2k down and 3k negative equity. but i could afford 600 a month. so how much can you put down? oh and don't run your credit until you are sure about the purchase.
That's not how negative equity works. If he has a $23k payoff and they give him $14k on a trade he has $9k in negative equity. He is probably looking at $2-3 negative equity so a loan on the STI for ~$34k

·
Registered
383 Posts
i say keep the rsx its an awsome car, sure the sti is a beast but the rsx is easier to maintain u have to think about the insurance on an sti and omg the gas milage, trust me its a huge diff from the rsx. Just save up for a lil bit and enjoy ur ride its awsome

1 - 20 of 38 Posts