IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently bought a used 2017 STI, it looks like the "sti performance exhaust" was added on to the car when it was ordered new so the car already makes some noise for sure. But im curious what the best way to get some crackles and pops and the actual "subbie rumble" out of the car. Im a huge fan of the loud obnoxious exhaust but I also can't lose my cat because I have to do yearly emissions testing. What do you guys suggest? Is there any harm in just doing a cat back straight pipe?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
may be a stupid question but if i was to do a muffler delete then i shouldnt need to retune or anything right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys so I had the Sri performance exhaust on there from the factory... appearently that exhaust wouldn’t work with one of these bolt on exhausts that you guys are talking about (it doesn’t even match up as far as piping!) so what I had to do was just get a custom cat back straight pipe... and to be honest I’m slightly disappointed. I assumed it would be louder and crackle and pop a bit. How do people get that ridiculously loud sound and pops? Do they pull the cat off? Is it a downpipe? Or does it come from the tune?

·
Registered
945 Posts
2 step/anti-lag is the monster of all crackles/pops but if you're straight piped, it should pop on downshifts or upshifts periodically at perfect rpms. You can also get a "burble/crackle" tune when you get a protune. Brentuning is popular for that and can be done e-tune. Though any tuner can do it for you, just have to ask..

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
If the OP isnt ready to go catless, i doubt he is interested in "2 step" and anti lag. Anti lag on stock turbo is useless lol. I think if the OP wants some more noise from the car without increasing performance and losing the cat then he should go for a different exhaust or muffler deletes.

A protune will help with the pops and crackles if that is what is requested at the time of the tune but honestly, the main point of a pro tune is to custom tune the car to safely extract power.

·
Registered
723 Posts
My '16 has stock everything, but I installed the Tomei catback last summer and I get little pops and burbles all the time. It's obviously not straight pipe or anti-lag levels, but it's easily noticeable. Looking forward to hitting the track with it this season and seeing how it really sounds.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Back when I had the Corsa Catback my car sounded ridiculous in regards to burbles and crackles, albeit the volume was too much for me. And they generally can be had used for cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts