IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering wut do ya'll reccomend for an upgraded shortblock. I was thinking of axis stage 3, or is their something better?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Look into cosworth, they make great blocks.. Pricey but from what i've heard they are the best, not noisey, no oil consumption issues and they run very smooth.. Axis is my second pick for top 3, followed by cobb in 3rd.. This is just my opinion though from what i have read on the internet..

·
Registered
665 Posts
I would first talk to each top engine builders and see what they can offer. Then based on that, go for which one fits your application the most. They all build great motors so you can't go wrong.;) I for one would like to deal with good companies near me, so if their is ever a problem with the motor, you have an option of taking it directly to them.:)

Ron

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Of the 3, Axis and Cobb have been around the longest and have by far the most experience with Subie motors. Cosworth's reputation with honda blocks, however, is second to none - my hunch is they will be built extremely well, but we'll just have to see how they hold up.

OTOH, if you have a good engine builder that is local, you can also buy the parts and save a fair amount of money. It isn't rocket science, but you want somebody who has the time, knowledge and equipment to do it right.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have an AMR block right now, and I'm VERY pleased!!! See my thread below.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39782

I have over 1,300 miles on my new motor, which was given synthetic motor oil since 300 miles, and I have ZERO issues, with ZERO oil consumption. I've personally seen the internals of a lot of the tuners motors available (Crawford, Axis, etc.), and just remember you get what you pay for. There is a reason why these tuner motors are less expensive then AMR. I've made that mistake before, so please heed my warning. The block is one of the most important parts of your build, so you definitely do not want to skimp!!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
2FastCars said:
I have over 1,300 miles on my new motor, which was given synthetic motor oil since 300 miles, and I have ZERO issues, with ZERO oil consumption.
Well, with only 1K miles on the oil I would certainly hope so. ;)

Regardless, I'm sure glad you were able to move on from the fiasco with the last block - get 'er tuned and have some fun, buddy.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Flycaster said:
Of the 3, Axis and Cobb have been around the longest and have by far the most experience with Subie motors. Cosworth's reputation with honda blocks, however, is second to none - my hunch is they will be built extremely well, but we'll just have to see how they hold up.

OTOH, if you have a good engine builder that is local, you can also buy the parts and save a fair amount of money. It isn't rocket science, but you want somebody who has the time, knowledge and equipment to do it right.
Cosworth is known for the Ford products not Honda. BUT I do agree on having a local builder do the engine build for you. Also, I would see how many of these shops actually do it in-house. Most likely you will find that most dont have the equipment in-house. I would have to say Cosworth has their own machine shop. But Cobb and Crawford dont. Like Flycaster said its not rocket science but they defientely need the correct equipment to do the job. Subarus are very sensitive to what you do to the block since the OEM Main bearing clearance goes down to .0002" "thats real tight!" Thats why most of these shops send the blocks out for the machine work and do the assemblies in-house only. Since you are in California you need to look up a guy name Steve Demirjian, he owns Race Engine Development, and has very good connections to the right people. He also is the Co-Patent Holder for the DARTON MID Sleeves, builds and programs the CNC machines to do the block work. You can PM me for his cell phone. If you dont mind out of town builders then I would only suggest RaceSleeves / AR Fabrication , my businesses.

:)

Howard Anderson

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cosworths is also know for forumla one too:cool:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would read BruceChapmans post on this subject, he makes excellent points on the build process. I've also read horror stories here and other forums, even the best parts and the best shops can run into problems. The one constant theme is put yourself into a position to NOT be the primary resolver of an engine problem. Let the shop thats tuning it be the supplier of everything. Single point of contact.

Think about it. If your engine has a problem, the engine supplier doesn't know you, doesn't have any reason to really trust you, and, has much less incentive to working to a great solution, because you only represent one sale. If an engine builder alienates a shop who buys 15 engines a year, it could be the start of the end of his/her business.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i wouldnt upgrade your block unless the stocker is blown....coming from a guy that has a built engine. if I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with an axis, not that I'm unhappy with my Cobb stg2 tuner series (no problems).

·
Registered
2005 STi
1,249 Posts
burnin4 said:
i wouldnt upgrade your block unless the stocker is blown....coming from a guy that has a built engine. if I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with an axis, not that I'm unhappy with my Cobb stg2 tuner series (no problems).
The why would you now choose an axis block over your Cobb one, if you wouldnt mind explaining?

·
Registered
890 Posts
^I would also like to know this..

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
burnin4 said:
...if I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with an axis, not that I'm unhappy with my Cobb stg2 tuner series (no problems).
Don't hesitate on my regard, Austin...we're all here to learn. I have no second thoughts at this point either, but there is always the next time...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
luSTI said:
The why would you now choose an axis block over your Cobb one, if you wouldnt mind explaining?
first, I'm very happy with my cobb block. it doesnt use any oil and sounds similiar to stock (no piston slap). I'm just baffled why is doesnt make as much power as my stock block. As far as axis goes, they seem to have many successful engine builds. there are a few 600whp-700whp axis blocks out there running 10 sec qtr miles (Element tuning, 700hp). I havent heard anything about anyone having a bad experience with axis. I kinda like Ron's approach of not getting caught up in the subaru forum world, he seems to simply do his job and build great engines.

as far as stg2 blocks (stock block+forged pistons) go, probably any of them will work fine. I wouldnt have a problem running a cobb, axis, or gruppe-s setup, but i would still shy away from Crawford. I wont bash crawford, they obviously know how to build scooby engines, but seem to have had more problems than the others, not to mention their customer servie could use some improving.

I'm still a huge fan of Cobb, nice to deal with a company that is dedicated to the subaru world. Good quality across the board, would buy another one of their blocks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts