IW STi Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Mine was definitely cut, going to the dealer tonight after work for an explanation. :evil: Not very happy about this. If this was some kind of time saver for the tech, they could have atleast asked before cutting mine. If it is that big of a deal, I guess I will do my own oil changes from now on. Looks like they would have to remove the undertray to get the oil filter out anyway. The section the cut out looks like it would only prevent oil from spilling onto it while they drained the pan. I will let everyone know what I find out.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Ok....wait. What are people going to the dealers and getting all pissed about??????

Either this is a factory/port done thing or it's being instructed in the PDIs. There is absolutely no evidence that this is a Jiffy Lube lazy work around. Why are you assuming as such?

:roll:

I have a suggested reasoning for this....let's see if we can prove it or not. Is the drain plug in the exact same location on the 2.0L engine? Did it get moved? If so, maybe FHI said "Hey, we have this undertray being made already to fit the 2.0 STi, but on the 2.5 STi, it's blocking the drain plug. Should we manufacture new molds and develop a completely new part number so that we can make new undertrays with a modified hole pattern undertray for an additional version of a limited demand car,

or

should we just cut a section of these existing parts and make them do the same thing with $100k less investment and the same solution."

I don't see why people are freaking here. We've determined it's something done to most of the STis, if not all. Why do you really care? How is this hurting you? It's an undertray with a neatly made cut in it so that you can tell if your car is leaking oil. It isn't like they cut a hole in the side of the rear fender so that you could fill the I/C spray tank without opening the trunk. :roll:

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Auto Up Windows

Mine is cut in the exact same as the picture. I talked to my dealer last night, they asked the guy that changed my oil and the PDI manager. They both said they did not cut it. He said he had another STi coming in today and he would look at hers to verify if it is cut also and call me to let me know. It is a very clean cut, so I am not that concerned. I just wanted to know if the dealer had done it and why they did not ask me before they did. I am not pissed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
yup mine was cut too. I didn't realize it until I was removing the undertray to install my skidplate.

I have to say that I was a bit annoyed. You would think that the blockage of the oil drain plug and filter would have been figured out at the factory.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I don't think that is why they cut it because they would have to remove the under tray to change the oil anyway. No one at the dealership could figure out why and I have never heard a definitive answer as to why. So I guess we should just accept it and move on.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
gforced said:
I don't think that is why they cu it because they would have to remove the under tray to change the oil anyway. No one at the dealership could figure out why and I have never heard a definitive answer as to why. So I guess we should just accept it and move on.
Dude, I would walk in there and drop it on the floor. Make those bitches order you a new one - that is ridiculous. They did something to your car and no one is accountable?

-st

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
It wasn't cut by the dealer but they suspect it was done at port. It is not the big of a deal. Now if it was something that was noticable, then I would have a different attitude.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts