IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i.e., 12v that is enabled with ignition being in the "on" position. and ONLY when you have the key in the "on" position.

i have a 2004 STi, but i assume even any WRX or Impreza owner input would be helpful.

TIA

:D

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Are you tracking your car or something? If so, I assume having it active only in ignition "ON" is necessary for battery conservation, but if the thief shuts off the car, you are hosed. If they reach their destination before you start tracking it, it's gone. :cry:

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RadarOnPaws said:
Are you tracking your car or something? If so, I assume having it active only in ignition "ON" is necessary for battery conservation, but if the thief shuts off the car, you are hosed. If they reach their destination before you start tracking it, it's gone. :cry:
whoa! you are reading too much into this. i won't go into details, but it has nothing to do with battery conservation or tracking/not tracking.

the unit requires a source of constant power (found one by poking around the fuse panel) and also switched power. i wasn't able to find a source for switched power. hence the post to the forums.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I knew it wasn't for battery conservation, I was saying that you didn't want power on ALL the time in order to conserve the battery (ie, by not draining it). :lol:

I saw the transponder designation and figured it was for vehicle tracking. But I looked it up on the internet and saw what it is really for (though I'm not sure of what the transponder portion of it is for).

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you got it. 'pm' me if you want details when i'm done. :D

i guess this means you don't have any ideas on where i can tap into switched power?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
That's supposed to be a good anti-theft system....

Sorry, but I can't help about the switched power source..... you could just tap into the wired source and mount a hard-switch under the dash somewhere.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Isn't the cigerette lighter switched power?
I haven't tested it yet, but does it need the key in to work?

The headunit wireing harness also has a constant 12volt and a iginition on 12 volt. And a amp turn on lead when the stereo is on.

Make sure it doesn't draw too much power from that IC spray switch.

·
Registered
858 Posts
easiest is still the radio harness. you can tap off it for everything. for contstant power, lights, acc on, etc. and if you buy the cheap $15 harness, it makes it even easier to tap since you wont end up screwing with the car's harness.

that way, if any warranty issues come up, they dealer can refuse since you didnt mess around with the original stuff...

if you are using a lot of current, tapping from the harness, then use it to trigger a relay that is getting power straight from the battery (fused, of course...)

·
Registered
399 Posts
World's Fastest Production Car...for now

leslie your totally right the cig lighter is usuallt switched and i know it is because i have my radar hooked up to it and it only works when the ignition is on. thats usually the easiest one, as most cars don't have the cig lighter on all the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts