IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

What mods would I need bring my 04 STi's wheel(s)HP to about 325-350 and about how much would it cost. Thanks

GAK

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
check the modifications posts....guru is putting down 312whp,for about $3500. but all the mods you make will really come into play when enginemanagement comes out in the spring(utec,autotronic...etc) happy readng...i'm puttin down 272 whp...i've spent about $2500.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
GAK said:
Hey all,

What mods would I need bring my 04 STi's wheel(s)HP to about 325-350 and about how much would it cost. Thanks

GAK
from what dan is saying, you can throw everything at it taht you want, but that stock turbo isnt going to do it for you. Im waiting for Dan's new garrett turbokits to come out :) then you will be doing 400+whp no problem :)

Robert~

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
GAK said:
Hey all,

GAK
You will need, in my opinion:

VF39 with ported wastegate
Turbo-back exhaust
Headers
Injectors
Management
Clutch
Intercooler upgrade [edit - forgot]

That should get you in the ballpark. I'd do some research here and on other sites to figure out specific parts. Godspeed is really close to what you are looking for with the following:

Turbo XS intake (going back to SUS with new turbo)
Godspeed downpipe
GT Spec header
PE 850cc injectors
Blitz SBCid
Greddy E-Manage
APS DR650 FMIC
Blitz BOV
ATS Triple Plate carbon clutch

This yielded 332whp/339ft-lbs

-st

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
staticx313 said:
GAK said:
Hey all,

GAK
from what dan is saying, you can throw everything at it taht you want, but that stock turbo isnt going to do it for you. Im waiting for Dan's new garrett turbokits to come out :) then you will be doing 400+whp no problem :)

Robert~
Hmmm...I'm not sure that is what he was saying. I think he was saying that he only wanted to do bolt-ons, and porting the wastegate on the stock turbo would not fall into that category.

If you port the wastegate on the VF39 and add a full catback to his setup, you should definitely see some additional whp. I would guess at least 10, not to mention more torque.

-st

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
USMD STi rocks!

"Yeppers. That's what I got on my stage II with 110 unleaded race fuel. THe turbo really was maxed out which is why HP was limited. Not much more power out of the headers but a lot more torque. On pump fuel torque jumped from 208 to 223 ft lbs at the wheel just by switching to the GT Spec header. HP held steady at around 310 whp from run to run. You can not get 400 HP on pump but you CAN get over 400 ftlbs of torque at the crank on pump. THe header helped a lot with knock resistance and smoothed out the power curve nicely."

"Actually new turbo is probably recommended to get good top end. THe stock unit can NOT hold boost at all and is pathetic on the top end which is why it peaked so early and also why we could not get much more power past 312 whp. Just nothing left in her." - Dan @ clubwrx.net

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
"Yes we got around 308-312 on pump fuel consistently. With my GT35R I should hit around 440-480 whp on pump fuel." - Dan @ clubwrx.net

... my advice if you want THAT hp range, wait for a new turbo upgrade kit. Otherwise do the big stuff, headers, downpipe, FMIC, inlet hose, crank pulley, blitz SBC-ID EBC, Injectors, Emanage (or wait for UTEC), and definitely a good clutch as the stock one will probably start to give around ~300whp or so Im told.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
staticx313 said:
"Yeppers. That's what I got on my stage II with 110 unleaded race fuel. THe turbo really was maxed out which is why HP was limited. Not much more power out of the headers but a lot more torque. On pump fuel torque jumped from 208 to 223 ft lbs at the wheel just by switching to the GT Spec header. HP held steady at around 310 whp from run to run. You can not get 400 HP on pump but you CAN get over 400 ftlbs of torque at the crank on pump. THe header helped a lot with knock resistance and smoothed out the power curve nicely."

"Actually new turbo is probably recommended to get good top end. THe stock unit can NOT hold boost at all and is pathetic on the top end which is why it peaked so early and also why we could not get much more power past 312 whp. Just nothing left in her." - Dan @ clubwrx.net

Robert~
I guess we would need to define what "maxed out" means. Some tuners (Vishnu) are running a lot more boost than Dan, so the turbo doesn't appear to be maxed out. Now whether or not they are out of the eff range of the turbo is up for debate. I've never seen a map for the VF39 so I can't tell.

Certainly if you want to run high boost, a bigger turbo is the better option (lower IATs, etc.) It just seems that some people have chosen to extract a little more boost from the stocker.

-st

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Re: front intercooler

I understand what you're saying, and this isnt me who is doing the mod testing and such, im just passin on info ;)

Robert~

·
Registered
357 Posts
Okay a list of things that will NOT get you there.

Stock turbo will not get you there. Even with race fuel I only got 322 whp or so.
if you switch turbo out for a unit that will get you there you will max out the MAF sensor voltage so you'll need a 4 inch MAF housing. I am working on releasing one in the next few weeks.
Stock injectors and fuel pump need to be changed. I am using the PE 850cc injectors which are plug and play. Work great. I use a Denso 310 l/hr pump but a Walbro will work fine is 350-400 whp is all you're looking for.
Stock IC needs to be changed. STock unit has VERY low volume as well as high pressure drop. Too inefficient to make good power with any of the upgraded turbos.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
well his 322whp on race fuel is with a APS DR650 - the biggest in the market... so... on the stock turbo not very far. As you start upgrading it will help though.

Also for those of us who buy UTEC from you Dan will you provide maps (if possible) by chance for those of us who buy your turbo kits? :D

Robert~

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yes Robert, I will provide base maps for all EManage and UTEC systems. Larger TMIC is not recommended on STi due to larger displacement of the motor which makes it a poor performance value. FMIC is recommended. Also, you may run into problems on a lot of the turbo kits with the TMIC's as well as fitment issues since the brackets are different on the STi TMIC.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Guru said:
Yes Robert, I will provide base maps for all EManage and UTEC systems. Larger TMIC is not recommended on STi due to larger displacement of the motor which makes it a poor performance value. FMIC is recommended. Also, you may run into problems on a lot of the turbo kits with the TMIC's as well as fitment issues since the brackets are different on the STi TMIC.
That rocks man. I know Im definitely buying from you then. Thank you for the other info too :). So have you got my exhaust sent out yet ;) hehe man Im so anxious im about to die. Just watned to make sure the fax went through and everything.

Robert~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts