IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my 93 Civic Si was broken into for the seventh time on Nov. 20th :x The morons made off with my tire pressure gauge and the faceplate for my 5-year old Alpine stereo... yah, just the faceplate - they couldn't pry the main module out, despite some pretty brutal screwdriver prying. It is beyond me why anyone in their right mind would want to break into an 11 year old car and try to steal a stereo worth next to nothing. The tire pressure gauge was worth about $10 dollars though :roll: By the way, my car was parked at a GO Station parking lot (for the benefit of those outside Ontario, GO Transit is a system of trains and buses that allows inter-city commuters in Southern Ontario to travel between major city centres, with Union Station in Toronto being the main hub.)

How does this all relate to the STi? Well, I am ever so close to buying an STi, but after last weeks events at the GO Station I am extremely wary of parking an STi at the GO Station. I just moved into the area and my thoughts were that this particular GO Station was so out of the way that an STi would be relatively safe from thieves. Well, I guess I was just being naive, seeing as how my 93 Civic was just preyed upon.

It really pisses me off that these morons are going to influence my new car purchase so drastically :evil: It looks like if I'm to buy the STi, I'm going to have to keep the Civic just to drive to the GO Station. And I'll drive the STi any other time. It's F---ing absurd that I have to insure two cars :evil: Practically speaking, everything that has happened is pointing to a decision of not buying an STi. Everyone has told me that if I need to keep my Civic, just to be able to own an STi, then the STi just isn't worth the trouble. I don't know. The STi goes beyond what most people comphrehend and definitely goes beyond practicality arguments. I guess I'll be thinking long and hard over this for the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for listenting, I feel better now :)

T

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the break-in, that truly blows big time. However as I stated on another thread, the type of car you have is almost irrevelant, once a car thief targets your vehicle there's not much you can do. You clearly demonstarte my point that the type of car you own has nothing to do with the safety factor against crime. No matter what you drive, you're always at risk of such criminal behaviour. Whether it be a ferrari, STi or a 93 civic, there is always a risk. Don't let some petty criminal dictate your choice of purchase, get the car you want and hope for the best.

·
Registered
344 Posts
....yep...the world is begining to suck big time around here.

Coming soon to a Canadian city near you: U.S. crime

What bullshit ! Wouldn't it be GREAT if we actually had a justice system
that dealt with criminals, an education system that actually REQUIRED
kids to learn how to SPELL and WRITE correctly, and parents at home to
raise kids properly in the first place ?

Ocassionally, I have to vent too....except I normally hear from some
pansy-ass do-gooders that are most likely part of the problem, not part of
the solution.

Sorry to hear about the break-in. I know how I'd feel if some degenerate
did that to my STi, so I entirely sympathize with you. When we are
heading to a mall or the "bad part" of town we take the G/Fs plain old GM.

See....Detroit iron IS still good for something.....well...that and rusting
too...

-Sporty

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments guys :)

Here's an update to my rant:

STi Status: I decided to throw caution to the wind and picked up a Blue/gold on the last weekend in November (... it was a late birthday, early Christmas present to myself :D ). I currently have around 2000km on it. Amazing car... not regretting the decision one bit.

Civic Status: Still rusting and still rattling. In the end I decided to keep the Civic as well. It turns out that if I went with limited insurance coverage the additional cost of insuring the Civic would be negligible.

I'm also happy to report that I got my faceplate back. Listen to this story: Ten minutes after I got off the phone with the Police (reporting the break-in), the very same cop phones me back telling me that he just fielded another call from another person who had their car broken into at the same GO Station. The morons who took my face place left it in this other guys car. So, I ended up meeting up with this guy the next Monday and he gave my faceplate back. And just to give you guys another indication of how stupid these particular thieves were, this guy had his old running shoes and dirty (.... and sweaty) gym clothes stolen out of his Pontiac Sunfire :roll: Yah... our society is in trouble.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Man, that sucks. Whether the car's 10 years old or brand new, I hate getting violated either way. I should think twice nice before parking at the Go Station. (Which station was it, by the way?)

Maybe you should park your Civic at the station and drive your STi when you can... really drive it! :)

-Rich

·
Registered
359 Posts
FT, ARE YOU THERE?

The guy may have had a sick fetish with old gym cloths... the dumb ones are the scary ones... glad things kind 'of worked out. At least he didn't crap in your car... I've heard of that happening.... Urban legend probably... :lol:

·
Registered
134 Posts
However as I stated on another thread, the type of car you have is almost irrevelant, once a car thief targets your vehicle there's not much you can do.

How true. I used to drive an old crappy '78 chev 1/2 ton. Rusty, cracked window, etc. I left the doors unlocked bc the locks were siezed up. I never left anything of value in the truck. Periodically I'd come out of my house in the morning, pick up all my crap of the passenger floor and put it back in the glove compartment. Sometime I just left the glove compartment open and the crap on the floor, just out of disgust.

A wise man once said "Laws without sanctions are merely advice". (Harry Conn) That means that as long as the punishment is minimal or non existant, we don't have laws, we just have advice for criminals.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts