IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been snowing here, and I still have RE070's on my STi, so I thought it might be a good idea to throw the DCCD into manual... dialed it in about 50%.. worked pretty good..

Then I went to pull into my apartment complex... going about 5 mph, and there it was! Really freaked me out!! I thought I broke something, cuz it was banging and clanging.

So I put it back into auto and it stopped.... kinda scratched my head, put it back in manual and tried it again... AAAAAH!! So now I'm tripping out. What is wrong with my car?!?!?!?!

Then I read the threads here about it. :lol:

Man, that really is a trip the first time!!

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Re: Correct STI filter..

lol. . . . was doing that up at Crystal last weekend when I was traversing the parking lot. I actually had to dial-in full-lock to get up to the main office of the condos so we could load the car. Turn the wheel and RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. . . . lol

At least it reminds you that you're dialed-in for hardcore maneuvering. :p

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Yukonart, I assume since you had to lock it in you were on a slippery surface, right? It shouldn't do that if the outside wheels can slip at all. Weird. The other night in our first snow here, I had it on full lock for making turns from one street to another on the slick stuff, and even with relatively sharp 90 degree turns never heard this at all.

·
Chuck taught me everything I know
504 Posts
Scared the hell out of me first time. I was pulling in to get gas and the guy at the pump looked at me like WTF…

·
Registered
34 Posts
how much was your sti?

Don't worry about it guys, it is normal. Mytoyoya 4wd truck and every other 4X does it when on asphalt. It is unavoidable in a vehicle with limited slip or locked diffs. If the car can handle 5000rpm clutch drops, it can surely handle a bound up drivetrain at 5 mph.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay so for an STi newb, could someone explain why the locked diff would make odd noises when on tractable surfaces? Are you saying it's only when you turn that it happens (due to it not being able to spin the inside and outside wheels in the turn at different speeds)?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Yea, it only makes the noise when you turn, and exactly for the reason you said: because the inside track and outside track wheels can't spin at the same speed during a turn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts