IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STI model car

Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to document their installation and answer questions. I couldn't have done it without you.

From the "First HU install frustration" thread, the first problem was that the wiring harness adapters I bought at Circuit City didn't fit. Apparently Premier HUs like the 940 use a different connector than Pioneer HUs. How silly and annoying. I ended up using the Subaru->universal harness, cut off the universal connector, and connected it to the harness included with the unit. It was trivial since all the wires are color coded and the Premier harness used the same scheme as the adapter I bought. I used crimped butt connectors that a local audio shop gave me. Nice guys. So the "30 minute" HU install took most of two days. :( That was mostly travel time, though, and the installation itself was very simple.

The speakers I installed are CDT HD-62/CF components, 6.5" midbass, 3/4" tweeter, and crossover, for the front doors. I used the IA STI-THK kit, and the opening in the spacers was just a tad too small. I knocked a bit off with the router, and they worked fine. I ended up using two spacers on the bottom two screws, one on the top, one on the window track, and I still had to dremel the screw that was hitting the magnet. I also had to dremel the sheet metal in the opening because the speaker connectors were hitting the edge. The tweeters were a snap: I attached them to the brackets with 3M VHB double sticky foam tape I bought at Radio Shack, where it was labelled "Hi-Temp/Hi-Strength Supermount(tm) Tape". I attached the crossovers using sheet metal screws, behind and a little below the door handles. The only hard part was finding a suitable spot.

Since everyone seemed to think that removing the door panels was a pain, and the consensus was that deadening material was a good idea, I picked some up at the shop that gave me the butt connectors. It's Custom RoadKill from Stinger (http://www.stingerelectronics.com). It's lightweight and doesn't smell. I used about 4 ft2 per door, mostly on the backside of the outer panel, but a couple patches on the inner frame.

The first door took about 4 hours total, but the second one only took an hour and a half or so.

It sounds great! For less than $900, I've got a system that's far superior to even the upgraded Subaru system I had in my wagon. And this system has lots of room for growth: rear speakers, subwoofer, amps, CD changer, XM receiver, ... What I've got now is just Phase 1.

The deadener makes a noticable difference without the stereo playing. Much less road noise comes through the doors. Also the doors sound much more solid when they close. I can't really say how they improve the sound with the stereo since I installed both at the same time. Well worth the small investment, and quite easy to install.

I only have one problem... The right side buzzes loudly when there's any kind of bass in the music. I'll look at it tomorrow...ran out of time today.

Again, thanks everyone! And thanks, Subaru, for not bundling your crap stereo in the STi. :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fixed the buzz on the right side. The problem was that the speaker was hitting the door panel. I didn't have this problem on the driver's side since I used the wrong screws, and the heads protruded far enough to keep the panel off the speaker. So I just screwed three flat-head wood screws around the spacer and left them sticking out far enough to prevent panel/speaker contact. Then I stuck a small piece of double sticky foam tape over the screw heads to keep them from buzzing.

Ahhh... Music, sweet music...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Another way to solve the buzz is to cut away to baffle on the inside of either door with an Xacto blade...it takes 10 min/door and saves you a bunch of potential headaches down the road...plus you cancrank your tunes without worry.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I did remove the baffle during the initial installation.

As for pictures, there's not much to see. The doors look stock. The head unit is visible when the faceplate is installed and the old Subaru DIN slot cover isn't in place, but you can find plenty of HU pictures on the web.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts