IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car back today after doing the reflash. No problems, no more pings, and it still feels like it has the same amount of power. So I definately recommend the fix.

Dan

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
That's great man. How long were you without it?

Just for the reference for other owners who may be having problems getting their dealers to get this fix, who would be a contact at your dealer about this fix?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it to Porter over at Subaru of Gwinnett. The same guy that originated the whole ping fix threads in the first place. I dropped the car off Thursday and I got it back today (monday) He told me that the Atlanta warehouse now has the ability to reflash them now as well. So they dropped the ecu off over there and had it done for me. Total miles on my car was 1 mile over what I left it there with. Got an all wheel allignment to boot. They always treat me really good there.

Dan

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dan - how'd you know for sure you were having a problem? I've had mine for about a week now and I haven't noticed any pinging (maybe due to not driving hard, dunno)

Oh, I asked about getting a wheel alignment done over there as well and they said I should wait until 800 miles or so.

PS. I got mine at Subaru of Gwinnett as well

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You'll know if you have detonation.......don't go thinking you have a problem unless you hear it.

I hope they are still going to cover that alignment at 800 miles....cuz they owe you one!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Indeed - they do owe me an alignment, which they said they'd make good on. Apparently you automatically get one 'free' one after you get a new car.
For what it's worth, the mechanic guy said the suspension is still settling and the car would lower a little bit over the first 500 or so miles, so it would be hasty to align the car too soon. Sounded good on the phone I guess :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
since they have the software the flash the ecu for a tune....how come shops with a 4wd dyno dont just flash in more performance oriented maps into the ecu....i was talking to someone tonight that owns a shop and only specializes in ecu tuning with a dyno...im pretty interested...you can keep your stock map too....and then have a switch to go to the other maps...just plug into the obd port and tune.....he said he has taken out systems such as utec offered by turboxs etc and said his customers are super satisfied with their tunes...i actually had a chance to talk to a customer that had an incredible amount of power just from an ecu tune and a turboback...also, since you have your stock map...and you are using stock ecu....no warranty issues as long as you switch back when you go to the dealer right?....becuase you will be using the ecu to control boost and not a boost controller so no evidence...

just my .02 and comments would be appreciated as im new to ecu tuning and engine management.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
You actually get any adjustments the first year or 12,000 miles. It is part of the warranty.

·
Registered
146 Posts
TR11 said:
since they have the software the flash the ecu for a tune....how come shops with a 4wd dyno dont just flash in more performance oriented maps into the ecu.....
Right now AFAIK no one has completed a decode of the STi ECU. Tuners can do pretty much whatever thy want after they get a complete ECU 'map'.

·
Registered
597 Posts
ahh i see....
because i dont really want to go with a utec or any sort of device like that....id rather just have more maps in my stock ecu...ive talked to a shop about it...so unless i find a better answer....im fairly confident in that what ill do...

is the sti obd2 or obd3 port?....

btw this shop said he has sti files already and has started work on figuring it out..so it shouldnt be too long!...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts