IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SubyDude screwed up my order. So lets recap here...

Order number...

1. Discount Tire Direct sends me one wrong wheel out of the four I ordered. Entire set goes back.

2. I discover that the wheels I ordered don't clear Brembos

3. Order new wheels from a trusted source, SubyDude. I order a set of Rota Boosts. After a two week wait I find that he sends me a set of G-Force in hyper black.

Ok, so he sent me G-Force instead of Boosts... I can live with it, they don't look bad. They're 17x8 and in the correct bolt pattern and offset. BUT THEY SENT ME THE ONE COLOR THAT HAS AN UNFRIENDLY HUB BORE AND WASN'T NICE ENOUGH TO SEND ANY HUBCENTRIC RINGS. :mad::mad::mad:

I swear, my car is never going to get off the jack stands.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kts262 said:
Sorry to hear it man. :(

May them give you some freebies to make up for it. ;)
I'm not paying for rings, they aren't getting any more of my money. I'm going to insist that they overnight a set to me.

Of course, for this to happen they'd actually have to answer the phone.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
I can feel your pain! When I ordered my DBA rotors I got two right rears. Was the day before a car show I had to be at, had the car up in the air with all of the other 3 rotors installed. Called my local vendor and they had DBA overnight me a replacement. Care to guess what the replacement was too? It was the right rotor but for an 04 not an 05....After much ranting and throwing things I finally had the correct 4th rotor... :lol:

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2fas4u said:
I can feel your pain! When I ordered my DBA rotors I got two right rears. Was the day before a car show I had to be at, had the car up in the air with all of the other 3 rotors installed. Called my local vendor and they had DBA overnight me a replacement. Care to guess what the replacement was too? It was the right rotor but for an 04 not an 05....After much ranting and throwing things I finally had the correct 4th rotor... :lol:
Man, after this whole mess when I opened the box and realized they sent me the wrong wheels I couldn't help but scream obscenities at the top of my lungs. I can't imagine how pissed I would be if I were in your shoes and *needed* the right parts.

Then I calmed down after I noticed that these wheels actually don't look too bad... and they'll at least go on my car with correct hub rings.

I just got off the phone with SubyDude and they're overnighting me a set of 73->56 hubcentric rings, no charge. So at least they're making it right..... or as close to right as they can.

·
I Solve Problems
18,782 Posts
on my gramlights i'm running a hubcentric ring from discount tire, they were like $20 bucks and they are metal so they are high quality.

just call them up and say "hey I need a hubcentric ring for 56.1 and ____" they'll hook you up no worries.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I shouldn't need to do that. SubyDude said they were overnighting a set of rings for me. Surprisingly, I think the mistake might be a good thing, the wheels look pretty good on the car. Although the offset could be a lower number and I could have chosen a better fitting tire for the wheel.

So I guess it's not a loss, and SubyDude has recognized the problem and is taking care of the situation the best way they can.

·
I Solve Problems
18,782 Posts
did you want 17x8s? what size tire are you running? you don't have much offset choice with Rotas.

EDIT: When i got my Gram lights they sent me these strange heavy duty plastic Rings, I didn't feel comfortable using those, so that is why i bought the ones from discount.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
That sucks, I would be really itching to get that car off the stands, I hope its done soon!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the money spent, I'm pleased. A couple of things that would make them look better....

1. 18" instead of 17"
2. 43mm offset rather than 48mm offset
3. 235/45 instead of 225/45, the tires look a tad bit stretched

Look at all that droop travel...

I dig the color. They aren't so much "black" as they are "black chrome." At least the face, the sides of the spokes are definitely painted black, which looks good at an angle because it causes the face to stand out more.

Before...

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Mykl said:
Hey man, autocross on the 24th at the Birmingham Race Course! Bring your car out and have fun with us. :)
ill try to get out there, im just gald it wont be as hot as the last one;)

would it be a good idea just to empty out my trunk at my house?

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ELD4AU6 said:
ill try to get out there, im just gald it wont be as hot as the last one;)

would it be a good idea just to empty out my trunk at my house?
Oh yeah, I can't wait... the weather is going to be perfect. :)

I would recommend getting there fairly early so you can walk the course a few times. So that would leave you with plenty of time to empty your trunk there.... but you don't live so far away so it's unlikely that you would really need the spare. So I'd say it's your call. It would be nice to have to do a minimal amount of prep work when you get there though.

Make sure your water spray tank in the trunk is full and maybe bring an extra gallon of water. ....or just don't use it, no matter. I find that I use mine a lot while staging to help fight heatsoak.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any pics on the ground?

Hey Mykl,

Thanks a lot for posting this, even if it does mean you had to go thru all that trauma to get to a result! I'm also looking for track wheels, and had been trying to figure out why to spend more than $99 for ASA JH3s. I had seen the G-Force, but since they're not available in Silver I decided they were not suitable. Having seen your Silver wearing the Hyper Blacks, I'm thinking they look really sweet. Although I'll probably go for the Steel Grey.

Do you have any photos of it on the ground?

Couple more questions:

>>2. 43mm offset rather than 48mm offset
For a better look, or for better handling?

>>3. 235/45 instead of 225/45, the tires look a tad bit stretched
Really? I was intending to go with 225/45-17, same size as the stock RE070. But I'm going for Toyo RA-1s for the track, which may be a different fit; what tires are you running? (I can't quite tell from the photo.)

Cheers

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No pics on the ground yet, my huncentric rings haven't gotten here yet so I don't want to put the whole weight of the car on the wheel studs. :(

Well, all three of those were just me being picky about the looks since these are my street wheels. The wheels would be closer to flush with a 43mm offset instead of a 48mm offset. The 225/45 is fine for performance, again... just being picky about how the tire looks mounted on the 8" wide wheel.

What size RA-1 are you thinking of going with?

·
3,296 Posts
Mykl said:
I'm not paying for rings, they aren't getting any more of my money. I'm going to insist that they overnight a set to me.

Of course, for this to happen they'd actually have to answer the phone.
I wasn't meaning make them give you extra stuff to cover the cost of the rings, I meant make them give you at least a T-Shirt for all of the mistakes they made. ;)

Glad to hear it finally got sorted out and they do look good on there. If you can photoshop out the jackstands it would look like you're doing some extreme rally action jumping in em. ;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.