IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
The manual states that the water tank should be kept at about 50% capacity when there is a chance that the water will freeze.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I imagine you can't add any kind of antifreeze....

too bad....

If you really wanted too I'll bet you could use pure alcohol... it would effectively cool as well as water... actually better, because it has a lower evaporation temp, it's non-corrosive, and it should evaporate cleanly....

Too expensive to be practical though... especially if the weather is cold enough to freeze the bottle. Not needed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
There was a big debate about this at NASIOC a while back. Alcohol is more effective than water as a coolant. It is also flammable. I would think that some mixture of water and alcohol would work. However, the IC spray is really not needed in the winter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
mine is on empty right now... i think im just going to leave mine the way it is for the chicago winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Video

I was thinking of using Pool Antifreeze. It is non-corrosive, Non-Staining.
They use it in hot tubs, and swimming pools in the winter time.

Guyver

·
Registered
167 Posts
Guyver said:
I was thinking of using Pool Antifreeze. It is non-corrosive, Non-Staining.
They use it in hot tubs, and swimming pools in the winter time.

Guyver
What is that stuff?

·
Registered
41 Posts
HOLY FACK!!!!!! I live in Canada, it gets COLD up here during the winter... Damn, give me something to think about...

True if you use antifreeze it would liave residue on the intercooler. Which will be hard to clean I suppose. If you leave it in the tank, it's useless because it will free and perhaps crack the tank. I think it might actually be a good thing that the car does not have an auto mode and does not spray the water itself after a certain temp or else it would probably burn out the water pump...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
If you still want water spray in the winter buy a bottle of everclear and start testing how much alcohol you need to add to pure water for it to not freeze at different temperatures....

If it's not an excessive ammount you could just mix a solution for winter.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Why not just drain most of the water out and fill it up 1/2-2/3 way with windshield wiper fluid? It is cheap has a low freezing point and should work rather well don't you think?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think I would drain it, no point on having water in there during the winter when it's -20C outside already...

I think I have more trouble getting the car to heat up... in a sense that I hate to warm up the car in the morning but a must with turbo cars in general...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
davidm_sh said:
Why not just drain most of the water out and fill it up 1/2-2/3 way with windshield wiper fluid? It is cheap has a low freezing point and should work rather well don't you think?

NO!

This tank isn't for wiper fluid, it's for the spray on your intercooler! You don't want something like wiper fluid, it'll leave a residue on your intercooler.... NOT GOOD.

T

·
0 Posts
Just leave it at half level like Subaru says and if it breaks when it freezes then it will be covered under warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts