IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am installing the above and encountered a good question? does the subaru use a vortek sensor , or a flap or map type? I understand MAP but what is vortek and what is flap, that is straight out of the greddy manual!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
DCCD and Launching

who did you buy this unit from? I'd recommend asking Dan on this one.

Robert~

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am sure you have solved this by now but for future reference, the "vortek" ( Karmann vortex) sensor is the type found on Mitsubishi EVOs and the "flap" is otherwise known as a VAF ( Vane Air Flow ) found on cheesy Ford products and some mid 80's European rides.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
yea its just the different stysles of sensors for the air intake to be measured just for your information...as well as we do not have the flapper my old mazda rx7 had that, its like a door that opens and closes depending on your throtttle position...the vane type is found yes on most dsm's and its also very restrictive shaped like a cylinder cone..with a screen and the snesor, and our STi is the MAF, which is like a penicl thickness piece that reads how much air is being sucked in to configure for air flow...i hope this helps you more in ur search

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
yea its just the different stysles of sensors for the air intake to be measured just for your information...as well as we do not have the flapper my old mazda rx7 had that, its like a door that opens and closes depending on your throtttle position...the vane type is found yes on most dsm's and its also very restrictive shaped like a cylinder cone..with a screen and the snesor, and our STi is the MAF, which is like a penicl thickness piece that reads how much air is being sucked in to configure for air flow...i hope this helps you more in ur search

·
Registered
186 Posts
ummm...

The vane type is not found on most DSMs, they use a Karmann Vortex type.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The STi uses a MAF and a MAP. Although I'm not sure under which circumstances the ECM references the map vs. the corresponding fuel based on the MAF reading. The MAF is a hot-wire design.

-st

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
where is the MAP located then????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts