IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned a hybrid STi sometime last year and was scoffed at...but rising gas prices have prompted me to bring it up again...well not for the STi but perhaps for a non-performance Subaru such as the Outback. Perhaps even a 2.5 RS hybrid? I definitely wouldn't mind having an AWD car that gets 40 mpg... :D

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
hybrids are very cool and get a bad wrap. I think the hydrogen cars will be the way to go in the future. And from what magazines say, you may not be burning rubber, but these cars are not like driving a big 12V radio controlled car....you'll have performance.

However......when that all happens, everyone go and grab your favorite muscle car and hold it close. There will never be anything like smelling burning rubber, that rich carb, mixed in with a little exhaust.......and of course, I don't see a 4 wheel drift in a H car!

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Actually with electric powered cars you get serious power!! Gas engines make torque as the rpm rises, whereas on an electric motor torque is instantaneous as it travels the speed of electricity. Not too mention if this does become the future it wouldn't be hard to modify the cars to where they were amazingly fast. In fact, I would say quicker than a gas powered car. They just would require more research and of course would cost more to build (IMO).

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Initially, they'd be more costly to build. I recall reading about that instantaneous torque...does this mean stalling b/c you pulled out the clutch too quick would be a thing of the past?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Who says you would need a clutch? I think the best way to get power down on an electric car is have a type of automatic gearbox. Like on a golf cart its a matter of putting the brakes on..you want to go take the brakes off and give it power.

I think it would be sweet and I would own one in a hearbeat (although I would keep a raunchy gas-guzzling muscle car for special occasions). They are clean, easy to maintain, can be made to be EXTREMELY quick, and they are quiet.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Alot of Electric cars don't even have transmissions that have more than one speed.

http://www.evaa.org/evaa/pages/ele_product_on-road.htm

I've driven the DaimlerChrysler electric minivan and must say it's strange not having a transmission that shifts, or even having noise other than the cooling fans. The minivan btw got up to 70+ mph real quick. Electric cars aren't slow, they just don't have much range. About 150 for the minivan if you didn't floor it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts