IW STi Forum banner

HSPN TV: How-To / Install - Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley

29K views 42 replies 31 participants last post by  jwalker72 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
See less See more
#5 ·
It reduces rotating mass, which should make the car feel a little more athletic / rev easier.

As far as the tension goes, I just felt the tension of the belt before I took it off, and made sure it felt the same when I put it back on. You want it snug so it's not going to come off, but you don't want it so tight that you can't press it down a little bit.

#17 ·
Question

There are issues with other cars (my BMW 3 serries for instance) where replacing the stock pulley causes crank dammage long term.

I hear this is not the case on the Subies. Is it true that the stock pulley does not act as a dampener? Of course it will still act like a dampener to some degree in that it has mass, but if it is just a heavy and evenly weighted pulley then installing a light weight one shouldn't be an issue.

Any educated opinions on the matter? The only thing I have herad so far is "We've sold xxxxx of them and haven't heard of any issues etc"

#19 ·
Yet another great video! I have watched all of them and they all rock!

I wonder if you could just use a parking brake to keep the car from rolling instead of having someone apply the foot brake?

I am also wondering why there are only lightweight main pulleys that everyone makes? Wouldn't you want to replace the alternator and power steering pulleys as well?

#21 ·
Great job on the How To video on the Perrin Crank Pulley!! I have done the same thing on my friend's cars!!! I have the same one on my car for over 10,000 miles with zero problems/issues. It takes the bog outta 1st gear, and the revs do come up quicker than norm. I must confess, I watch these videos all the time at work, over and over again...I just love them! Great vid on the Perrin Wing Stiffys!!! 5 of them would make the STi look like the WRC one! Shouldn't litter blue painters tape on the sidewalk though :lol:. Can't wait to see the F430 video!!! :bow:

#23 ·
I come from a Honda background. The similar mod/install on B-series motors is to remove the power steering and AC so only the timing belt is being turned by the crank pulley and replace the stock pulley with the CTR crank pulley. The problem with that is the OE crank pulley was also a harmonic balancer. It had rubber injected into it to absorb some of the engine vibrations. The CTR crank pulley didn't contain injected rubber and the theory is that it doesn't aborb the vibrations and wears down the bearings quicker. Now with all that said, is this the same for the STI? If the OE crank pulley doesn't contain inject rubber, is it because it's a boxer motor and the pistons move horizontal instead of vertical? Any clarification on this would be well appreciated. Thanks

#24 ·
The Subaru boxer engine is internally ballanced and does not require a harmonic balancer to absorb excess vibration. The pully has a certain amount of mass, as does the fly wheel and that is to increase driveability because with the lighter pully and lighter flywheel, the engine spools down very quickly when you take your foot off the gas. On the highway that is rather uncomfortable and unless you have the cruise control on your speed tends to vary greatly. In city driving scenarios that is not AS noticeable but you do feel it. It does increase acceleration and performance.

#25 ·
i'm about to go install my perrin pulley and I went to watch the video but it stops everytime when ben puts the breaker bar with 22 mm socket on the pulley to take it off. So what am i sopposed to torque the pulley bolt to? like 120 ft lbs?

#26 ·
BlackedoutSTI said:
i'm about to go install my perrin pulley and I went to watch the video but it stops everytime when ben puts the breaker bar with 22 mm socket on the pulley to take it off. So what am i sopposed to torque the pulley bolt to? like 120 ft lbs?

Install the crankshaft pulley
1) Install the crankshaft pulley.
2) Install the pulley bolt.
To lock the crankshaft, use:
ST 499977300 CRANKSHAFT PULLEY
WRENCH
(3) Clean the crankshaft pulley thread using an
air jet.
(4) Apply engine oil to the crankshaft pulley bolt
seat and thread.
(5) Tighten the bolts temporarily with tightening
torque of 44 N·m (4.5 kgf-m, 33 ft-lb).
(6) Tighten the crankshaft pulley bolts.
Tightening torque:
127 N·m (13 kgf-m, 94.0 ft-lb)
7) Confirm that the tightening angle of the crankshaft
pulley bolt is 45 degrees or more. If not, conduct
the following procedures (1) through (4).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.