IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Retired Admin
3,248 Posts
I'm not sure when the GT35 install will be...we'll see what Perrin says :D.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
so.. what exactly does the light pulley do as perfomance? also, how do you know when the tension is good enough? just eyeball/feel till it's tight enough?

·
Retired Admin
3,248 Posts
It reduces rotating mass, which should make the car feel a little more athletic / rev easier.

As far as the tension goes, I just felt the tension of the belt before I took it off, and made sure it felt the same when I put it back on. You want it snug so it's not going to come off, but you don't want it so tight that you can't press it down a little bit.

·
DirtyImpreza.com
821 Posts
The pulley was installed on the STi that i drive, Ben's method of eyeballing the tension on the belts worked fine as i have had no problems with the pulley in over a week so far.

As far as performance gains, its enough to be noticeable in my opinion. The throttle / pull in 2nd and 3rd feels a bit quicker.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ben said:
The HSPN garage :D.

A video review of that F430 in the background is coming soon ;).
hahahaha. I LOVE the 430...I'm hoping either that or the 360 will be the first Ferrari I own. It's a ways off still though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I could watch HSPN installs all day. I don't know why, but I have watched the dead pedal install 3 times just because I get bored sometimes.

·
Retired Admin
3,248 Posts
IWantAnSTi said:
I could watch HSPN installs all day. I don't know why, but I have watched the dead pedal install 3 times just because I get bored sometimes.
I think I'll have a smile on my face for the rest of the day after reading that... :D

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Question

There are issues with other cars (my BMW 3 serries for instance) where replacing the stock pulley causes crank dammage long term.

I hear this is not the case on the Subies. Is it true that the stock pulley does not act as a dampener? Of course it will still act like a dampener to some degree in that it has mass, but if it is just a heavy and evenly weighted pulley then installing a light weight one shouldn't be an issue.

Any educated opinions on the matter? The only thing I have herad so far is "We've sold xxxxx of them and haven't heard of any issues etc"

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yet another great video! I have watched all of them and they all rock!

I wonder if you could just use a parking brake to keep the car from rolling instead of having someone apply the foot brake?

I am also wondering why there are only lightweight main pulleys that everyone makes? Wouldn't you want to replace the alternator and power steering pulleys as well?

·
Retired Admin
3,248 Posts
With the parking brake on and a stopper behind the rear wheel I ended up rolling the car OVER the stopper when trying to break the pulley bolt. You might be able to do it, but I would recommend a foot on the brake.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts