IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just got a set of HPS pads installed and I don't feel that they were any improvement over stock. I don't really sense any improvement in pedal feel, firmness, or initial bite.

In fact, the fade on these pads were pretty bad. I was driving fairly fast on a downhill private road (no, I am not kidding, it's really a private road). It was about 4 miles long and had two 120 --> 50 brake zones and about 5-6 100 --> 50 zones. At the bottom of the road, the fade was so bad that the pedal almost went to the floor and the brakes were too weak to enage ABS at more than 35 mph. And the pads were literally on fire.

I followed the bed-in instructions to the letter and the stock pads on the same stretch of road would not fade nearly as bad. Is something wrong with my pads?

Thanks.

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
10,384 Posts
you need to upgrade your fluid. your pads can run more effectively at a higher temp, but your fluid can't (and SS lines wouldn't hurt either). doing this should cause to pedal feel to stay firm.

your pads catching on fire isn't very good. All i can say is that those pads are advertised as street pads. If your going to be braking like you would on a track, then you need street/track pads like the ferodo 2500's, pagid blues, or hawk hp+

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response. I will try upgrading the fluids to see if it's any good. I am just disappointed that the HPS are inferior to the stockers in everything except brake dust...afterall the stockers never caught on fire for me...

anyway, the pads catching on fire, are there any permeant damge to the pads themselves? what about my piston boots?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.