IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will you be doing on your STi for winterisation?
I am particularly interested in the fluid, wiper and wheel departments.

As for the wheel, any recommendation for the rim + tyre package & more importantly, the store to get it from (in the Greater Toronto Area)?

I am even thinking about just going all season radial (realising the performance disadvantage of doing this) for convenience... :oops:

Gold Rota SDR's would look good on my SilverSTi, but not sure whether I'd want them as a winter beater set or a slick track set...

-Rich

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just bought a set of gold Rota SDR's for winter, and will probably buy the V rating Dunlop Wintersport M3's for them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Breaking in the STi

Thanks for the info, ssitu,

At a local store, I was quoted $1800 total for 4 rims + Kumho tyres. I was wondering whether the local store is indeed giving me a good deal, compared to the net stores (after-shipping consideration)..

But $650 shipped to Canada!?! That sounds like a great deal. I thought they paid for shipping only if you ordered within the US.

Did you have to pay any customs?

-Rich

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, shipping was also included for Canada. I paid around $910CAD after conversion plus taxes for those rims. So if you can get them @ $1800 for 4 rim and tires, depending on what kinda tires you'll get, I think it's quite a reasonable deal. Too bad nobody here can give me a sweet deal, so I had to buy them over the net. As for customs, I don't know yet since I haven't receive them. But from past experience, I believe UPS is gonna charge me for some stupid brokerage fee or something. Hope it's not too much otherwise I am not getting a good deal at all! :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anyone know the weight of the stock rims vs the Rota SDR? I am thinking of getting a set of the SDR's. If I like them enough I may use them as my summer rims assuming they weigh about the same or less.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ssitu, please keep us posted re: customs charges for importation...
Are you concerned about the offset difference between the stock BBS'es and the Rota SDR's? (53 vs. 48?)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Undercover WRC in my town

ok, I'll let you know about the customs once I receive them, which should happen in the next few days hopefully. I am not too concerned about the offset since it's not too much of a difference. Also, many of Prodrive's wheels that are listed as suitable for the STi have 48 offset.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all, I just received an email from Rally Subaru here in Edmonton in regards to a winter wheel and tire package offered by Subaru of Canada. Supposedly this combo is only offered once a year by SOC in the fall and Rally is only receiving 2 sets. However, those wishing to purchase this combo will have to be willing to pay ~$3000.00 (yikes)!

I think when the time comes for winter, I will just get the Rota SDRs or Tarmac II's with some Nokian Hakka's. Also Tirerack offers a set for fairly cheap.

Cheers,

RASpecC

·
Registered
68 Posts
RASpecC, you're right. Those pakages offered by Subaru are ridiculously pricy! I called my local dealer before and I was quoted for something like $3200 for the set!!! They use Enkei wheels and Toyo tires, and for $3000 you have much better choices out there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I want those Tarmac, too. They're replicas of the Prodrive P1's, which is really nice. Too bad they only have Tarmac now and I can't wait for Tarmac II.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How can the price be so different from one province to another if all the Enkei rims are coming from SOC? :eek: Are the Toyo tires really that much more expensive than Blizzaks?

I don't know if you saw my post on the handling/braking thread but this is what our dealer in Manitoba has offered us and we thought that the price was very reasonable...

We are offering 17" Enkei rims (RPM2s) with Blizzak snow and ice tires for $499 a corner, mounted and balanced.

$2,000.00 plus taxes = $2,300.00, rounding up.

Sue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all, the contact I had at Rally in Edm didn't tell me exactly which brand wheel they were using but he did specify Bridgestone Blizzaks as the tire. Like ssitu said, the new Rota Tarmac 's are quite nice for the asking price. As it is $3000 is too much to pay for the SOC ones.

Cheers,

RASpecC

T

·
0 Posts
Sti floormat sliding

I was quoted $2200 for the 4 rims and tires at Owen Sound Subaru. I can't say what they are but the tires I believe were blizzaks. I'm still waiting on them to contact me when they get them in. I'll let you folks know as soon as I kow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the SDR's in the gray look awesome. I'm sold for that price. Now just to decide on some tires. :)

Has anyone bought rubber floormats for winter yet?
What options for winter mats are available?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just received my SDR's :D
I only paid $40 broker fee to UPS, but that was it! No customs, no taxes, nothing else! :p I don't know why, hope they won't hunt me down and make me pay for taxes.
So I've spend a total of $950 on those.

T

·
0 Posts
Ok here's what I got from the dealer today regarding wheels.

4 gold BBS rims and 4 225/45R17 Blizzaks for $2600 plus tax. It includes instalation and balancing. Not quite sure if that's a deal or not. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
42 Posts
front strut tower brace - pics of where to move horn?

My dealer still has no idea about a winter tire package yet in Calgary :eek: . What's up with that?

Looks like its time to order some SDR's.

ssitu,

How long did you have to wait for your rims?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts