IW STi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
i thought 255 would fit the 8inch width...

^^and woudnt the sidewall hardness matter more than the width..?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/tires-wheels/87244-265-35-18-will-fit.html

Here is a thread I posted a while back discussing 265/35/18 on 18X8.5 wheels.

I also remember someone saying that he got better laptimes with 235 tires than 255 tires due to better response. I can't remember who it was but it was a reliable info coming from a person with lots of experience on the track.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
the bigger question is will the tire fit with your suspension.

you can run a 275 on an 8" wheel if you really want to. (I've got 275s on my BBS's).

or you can run a 265 on an 8.5" (i've got 265s on my 57Maximums).

I just wrote up a nice phat PM to someone about the goods and bads about a 265 vs. a 235 on a 8.5" wheel.

I'll put it into a blog article now so you guys can see it. Here's the Link

't3h_clap.com' said:
Comments on running a 265 on an 8.5" wheel

the bad:

1.) Your car will find every groove in the road and start trying to follow it like a blind dog on a leash. Now it isn’t that bad really, as long as you’re paying attention. (i’m running 265s and -2.9 camber in the front, trust me I know what it’s like ).

2.) you will give up some steering response for the increase in total grip. it’s a trade off that is a hard one to decide if it is worth it or not. the decrease in steering response wont be that much going from 235 to 265 on an 8.5″ wheel, and the ultimate grip wont be that much either, at least not on the street (or canyon). I hope you’re not pushing 10/10ths out on those canyons.

3.) there will be some added roll over which you may or may not notice, it really depends on you as an individual. Some people can tell when their camber is off by a 10th of a degree. I’m not one of those people btw,

the Good:

1.) they’ll look beefy as hell
2.) You will have more grip at the limit if you get there.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
i thought 255 would fit the 8inch width...

^^and woudnt the sidewall hardness matter more than the width..?
Sidewall hardness matters to an extent yes, but what can and cannot squeeze on to a rim depends more on the aspect ratio and the way the bead on the tire is setup.

if it fits on the car is a whole new story.

How wide of a tire can you put on and 8.5 inch rim?

Will a 255 fit or a 265?
In short the answer is yes.

there are guys that run 285s on their 8.5" wheels, they are a ***** to get on though.

i think a 255 is a much better fit for an 8.5" than a 265. Although my 265s do look good. :)

·
Registered
969 Posts
I run 255/40/17 on a 8.5 wide wheel. I personally would not go any wider on an 8.5 wide wheel. In fact, I wish my 255's were on a 9 inch wide wheel....but I wasn't sure how well that would fit on my car, so I didn't risk it.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
255 is the way to go. 265s and 275s require 9" minimum according to the tire makers I have looked into.
depends on class rules and your goals.

aspect ratio also plays a key role in what will and will not "fit".

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
If a tire manufacturer specifies 9" minimum for a particular tire, using 8.5" presents a safety issue and doesn"t allow the tire to deliver its full cornering power.
safety issue? :lol: as long as you're within the manufacture range you're fine.

so in your opinion, with a 17x8 what tire would be faster for autox? 245/45 v710 or 275/40 v710?

·
Registered
198 Posts
safety issue? :lol: as long as you're within the manufacture range you're fine.

so in your opinion, with a 17x8 what tire would be faster for autox? 245/45 v710 or 275/40 v710?
The point is that 8.5 (and 8) are OUTSIDE of the manufacturers' ranges for 265 and 275 widths. A 275 on an 8 will have poor tread contact on its edges and could even dismount at high cornering speeds and loads.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
not sure how much more load you can get then an autox and I haven't heard of people dismounting their 275s on 8" wheels

or 285s on 8.5" wheels.

either way, it could be possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The more important question is whether the tyre will fit your suspension.

If you really want to, you can run a 275 on an 8" wheel. (I have 275s on my BBSs.)

Alternatively, you can run a 265 on an 8.5" (I have 265s on my 57Maximums).

I just sent a nice phat PM to someone about the benefits and drawbacks of a 265 vs. a 235 on an 8.5" wheel.

I'll put it in a blog post now so you can see it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts