IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Haven't trailered our STI yet, just wondering if anyone can offer some tips on
where to attach the straps onto the car chassis when trailering the car to events. Are there locations for T-hooks? or other fairly strong chassis pieces? We don't have straps that attach to the tires, so that's not an option. I don't have the car to look at right now, just thought I'd toss this help question out to the forum. Thanks !

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
pm Ben I am sure he has done it at least once in his beast of an STi

·
Registered
348 Posts
How to strap down car on trailer

So, Reviving this 8 year old post that failed the first time. Not much wisdom in that!
Anyway, here goes:
I searched what I could lookng for advice on trailering your STi ( not pulling a trailer, which is all that comes up when you google or search) .
I will be trailering mine for this first time this year and was looking for some suggestions/tips. I see there are 4 attachment points at the 4 corners that are attached to the underframe. It seems likely these will be used. Any other suggestions?
Do you leave the car in gear or neutral?
Do you need any other straps other than the 4 tie down points, like around the wheels?
What about protecting the nose from stones being kicked up by the pulling truck?

Any experienced help is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
We've always used axle straps through the wheels or through a couple spokes of a wheel.

Image Link

I've used MAC's through the wheel tie downs with great success. Usually cross them. Car in 1st gear and park brake applied. No movement whatsoever. My trailer is steel deck open. Have not noticed stone impingement. But plan to add a tire rack this year and may include a deflector.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I leave the car in neutral with the e-brake pulled for towing and use ratchet straps with enclosed hooks, to better ensure they stay connected. If your trailer doesn't have D-rings, I highly suggest having some installed. Using the sides of the trailer is sketchy in many cases. Running straps through the wheels works if you don't have any tie-down points, but I don't prefer it myself. Be sure to check tightness of the rear straps every time you make a stop, as they typically loosen up during the trip.

***For GR/GV owners, there are two tie-down points for the rear, but they're hidden just fore of the rear wheels. I latch onto those and then cross the rear straps to my trailer D-rings, in order to keep the angle appropriate. Not sure why Subaru hid them way up there, but I had no idea of their existence at first.

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts
Coincidentally I skimmed across this recently while going through the FSM. It's in there if you have one you can find the specifics. I remember they show the front straps crossed and the rears going straight back.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Id leave the car in neutral with the parking brake on. Bouncing around in all the freeplay in the driveline cant be good. Whenever i put my quad in the pickup i leave it in neutral too

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
With the park brake applied, where will this movement you speak of occur? Vehicle will only move up and down, side to side maybe. Help me, the fog is thick on this one.

And positioning car so majority of weight is centered on trailer means only good way to attach rears to D rings is to cross in my case. I also check straps multiple times and really make extra stops if they get wet to re-cinch.

·
Super Moderator
8,389 Posts
If the straps loosen up at all, combined with unsmooth surfaces such as Michigan streets, you'll get movement. That movement will transmit through the drivetrain to the engine.

My S2000 has no parking brake, so it's wheel chocks and straps and put in neutral. Keeping the rear straps straight (not crossed) is to aid in emergency braking stability.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
Guess I'll just have to agree to disagree. Again, if park brake is set and straps loosen there is little or no movement in my limited experience. And in my experience, MAC straps very rarely loosen once cinched. Even on these poor Michigan roads.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I use the frame eyelets that I assume Subaru used to ship the car over on the boat.

I do not use the wheel straps unless there is no other choice. It probably does not matter, but I do not like to put that much stress on the suspension for that long. It works, and people do it, it just bothers me :)

I cross the fronts as most of the force on the car is during braking. That and in my case they are the longest.

I have many stone chips in the front of my car. I plan to repaint, but they came from one road that was being chipped and sealed. The truck now has rear mud flaps, and I built a stone guard out of aluminum fascia. Avoid gravel roads, but if you must drive slow. I did not want to be late for the drivers meeting.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
We all have our way of doing thinks but for the sake of arguing, if the car isnt going to move with straps and parking brake set then whats the point of putting it in gear also

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm slapping myself for this one since I was going to talk about this soon on my journal when I'd unveil my car hauler tie-down setup for Wabi~Sabi but what the hell...

First, using the handbrake does not necessarily make the car stick to the trailer like glue but it does help reduce some movement. The car can still slide around every which way with hard jerks, braking, or on bumpy roads.

Second, the main reason to put the rear straps straight instead of crossed is that this method is the best for preventing forward movement under very hard braking or in a collision. Braking always exerts more force than acceleration. When crossed, the straps do double duty, as they prevent most forward movement and side to side movement but they do not eliminate them entirely. Think of it as simple leverage rules and how you'd position yourself to hold something from moving. On a trailer, the perpendicular axis is best for side to side control and longitudinal is best for front to back control.

Third, the weakest strength of any through the wheels straps (no matter if crossed or not) is actually upwards movement. If you'd turn the trailer upside down with the car on it, the car would most likely hang in the air a few inches to a whole feet. Think about this when planning for the "worst that can happen", aka a very bad accident.

Fourth, the advantage of through the wheels straps are that the car rides on its own suspension, reducing shock transfer to the whole car when you take on nasty bumps. By using frame attachment points instead to hold the car down you compress the suspension and the opposite occurs. Also, if you have a softer suspension on the car and ride on nasty bumps, it can actually compress the suspension more than the tension you put with your straps. That makes your straps loosen for a second and it actually can make the car move around a little bit on the trailer.

Fifth, there's also over the wheels nets (those who attach front and back of the wheels) that work well in most situations but attaching them to a car hauler trailer can be a challenge, especially with low riding cars (such as most tracked STis). Wheel nets with side attachment points are great to control side to side movement but suck big time in controlling forward or backward motion. However, wheel nets are the surest way that the car will remain on the trailer even if you'd flip over in a deep ditch. They also let the car ride on its suspension so that's a good thing.

Lastly, all of the systems have their strong and weak points. All of them work fine... until you get into real trouble. My end all solution is to use 8 attachment points; 4 side attachment wheel nets (best side to side and upwards control) and 4 through the wheel straps attached as straight as possible (best front and back motion control). That way, this ensures that your car will NOT move even if your trailer would be put in a gigantic gyro ball and rotated 360 degrees in any direction.

This comes from my 15+ years experience in trucking, as load shifts can be very costly in terms of customer claims and possible criminal lawsuits. Remember, a guy with a pickup and a car hauler most likely won't be sued for criminal negligence if his car flies off the trailer due to a bad load secure. A trucker will make time in prison though so a competent one will know his stuff and always prepare for the worst. What works well in normal conditions might fail in very bad ones. A crossed setup front and back is fairly safe and a time saver but remember that how you tie your car down is how you're willing to "risk it"!

Take it or leave it...

·
Super Moderator
8,389 Posts
Guess I'll just have to agree to disagree. Again, if park brake is set and straps loosen there is no movement in my limited experience. And in my experience, MAC straps very rarely loosen once cinched. Even on these poor Michigan roads.:rolleyes:
There is movement.

RecceRS has a very good explanation.

·
Registered
348 Posts
We've always used axle straps through the wheels or through a couple spokes of a wheel.

Image Link
Thanks to everyone for all the great input.

Hey YamahaSHO, you must have a bunch of cars. your tie-down photo is a Corvette, your Signature Photo is an S2000, your handle is YamahaSHO and you blog on the STi site! U Da MAN!
The Yamaha engine in the 89 to 95 SHO was awesome!

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
Good info RecceRS. And thanks for the input from everyone else. Safe travels and above all, have fun.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well, I'm ready to install recessed 6000lb D-Ring tie down points on the trailer I will be using to haul my 2005 STi.
I haven't decided to use straps on all 4 corners using the factory tie down points or Wheel nets. I like that the Wheel nets have 8 tie down points rather than 4. This provides 4 holding points for all directions of motion rather than 2 points that the 4-corner method provides. Also, the car is riding on its suspension uncompressed.
I did not see anyone in this thread refer to usung the wheel nets. I called Mac's Custom Tie downs to get info and pricing on wheel nets but I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone nor return my call???
It looks like no horror stories using any of the methods.
If anyone has a case against one method or another, Please share.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts