IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question on how you guys shift. Right now im currently learning my manual driving by using a old 1987 Subaru GL, that i bought at an auction for 500 bucks (250,000 miles haha) but anyways about shifting i have this one question.

Say your going 55 down a country road and you need to slow down do you guys usually keep downshifting, say from 5 to 4th then 3rd and so on till it starts slowing down. or do you just use the brakes until your up to the stop sign and then put the clutch in and put it in 1st? i heard you could do it 2 ways but the one where you keep downshifting doesn't seem like it does any good on the engine. So im just curious what is the best habit to get into.

sorry about the basic question its just that nobody in my family drive stick, and non of my friends drive em either. thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you know you will have to slow down to a complete stop. I just shift in to netural and brake. If I going to have slow down and then speed up, I'll downshift.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Neutral uses more gas, so either slow in 5th/6th or downshift. I personally downshift because I love hearing the engine revs bump up.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I wouldnt recommend putting it in neutral and using the brakes along way, this is because you will wear the brakes cuz its all the brakes workin and no engine....had this problem with my first sti that i had over in switzerland. It doesnt really matter how you do it, down shift or not... it all depends... if you wanna get kinda technical you can do a heal toe which is always fun and helps out before takin a turn etc.... I wouldnt focus on it too much, just do whateva comes to your mind at that time.... :wink: hope that kinda helped...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Always leave your car in gear. This way you can power out of dangerous situations should they come along. It's death to pop your car out of gear ;)

Mario

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
I always slow down using gears...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree you should leave your car in gear and downshift when necessary. The RPM's of the engine pump different fluids and provides power to different accessories. Just be cautious not to downshift to a gear that is too low for the RPM's you are turning. Remember all your shifts should be smooth and you should not have to jam the car into any gear. Here is a godd article to read.
http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_shifting.lasso

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Prices on Clear Bras!

okay i guess i will just get used to downshifting, i just thought it was bad for the engine i guess not. anyways thanks. one last thing about downshifting, say as you downshift say from 4th to 3rd gear you will hold the clutch in and put it in 3rd then would you ease the clutch out or just let it drop out instantly?

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
nice and smooth...

·
Registered
28 Posts
My '95 Ford Ranger has 109,000 miles and the original brakes - I slow down through the gears almost always. Shifting is fun, and also an art. As for the engine, never had the head off and uses so little oil it's scary.

In my old Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX I would shift with finger and thumb sometimes but that was just showing off...

DJ_STI you are doing it right, learning on a beater.

BTW never let the clutch drop out, it's called "dumping" the clutch and can damage the transmission or burn out the clutch plate.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Bump for more info...

i have heard arguments both for downshifting and against downshifting. Usually, if it's an average braking situation, i leave it in the current gear then downshift when i don't have to brake hard or when i can see that I will be able to accelerate again.

If you're at all concerned for your engine, go ahead and use your brakes, that's what they're for. If you're racing and you need every bit of stopping power as you can get, then downshift like a madman. For regular driving, it's pretty much up to you. As long as you're not doing profuse downshifting and not using your brakes at all, you'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I'll usually downshift while rev-matching all my gears. When downshifting from 2nd to 1st in slow turns, I'll double clutch.

If your'e slowing down from, say, 40mph to a stop, it's not good to shift to neutral and brake, you're "riding your brakes", you'll cause excessive brake wear that way. Keep on gear until you're 10mph or below, then shift to neutral if you want to.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Its cheaper and eaiser to replace the brake pads than the engine or the transmission.

During normal driving I try let the brakes do all the work.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I usually downshift and brake together.

And I let out the clutch as quick as I can without feeling choppy.

And I never shift back into first unless I've been stopped. Feels tough on the synchros..... Even at 10 mph its hard to shift back into first.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
bitabur said:
And I never shift back into first unless I've been stopped. Feels tough on the synchros..... Even at 10 mph its hard to shift back into first.
My thoughts exactly, I always wondered what people autocrossing do. I know I have a friend with a celica which has to be wound up tight to generate any power, and he uses first while autocrossing. Anyone with an sti who has autocrossed it find themselves shifting down into first?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Where to find 400+hp kits?

RadarOnPaws said:
bitabur said:
My thoughts exactly, I always wondered what people autocrossing do?

It's called heel-toe shifting. Basically you are matching the RPM's with whatever gear you are about to select. If you try to shift into 1st @ 10MPH without raising the RPM's, you would have a very tough time grinding it in. Instead raise the RPM's to around 2000 and it should go in perfectly smooth.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
the great thing about the STi is its power. so basically in everyday traffic and errand running there is really no reason to shift into first as the STi has more than enough torque to cruise around in second gear. as far as downshifting goes. i'll usually downshift before i need to slow down and use the brakes. i have'nt really gotten good at the heel toe thing yet but i'm working on it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Surprised no one has posted this yet. This is perhaps the best description of how to smoothly shift an AWD Subaru with minimal wear and tear on the drivetrain and minimal "lurching":

Here is "The Technique".

You will feel all this in your backside, not your head.

1) Car pushing you back in your seat, foot to the floor, long pull in second gear, say.

2) Roll out of the gas, feel yourself rise out of the seat ever so lightly as the actual acceleration decreases. This is the "relax the rubber band" trick. Nose of the car drops softly, when everything goes slack:

3) The tension in the driveline is relaxed, now! Off with the gas/in with the clutch! This WAS the hurry part. Now, let the gear lever do its job. Do not just slam it, slide it, because that is what is going on in side the transmission.

4) Now, get the clutch home (foot up) before you stretch the rubber band again. Only on start-up from a stoplight should the clutch be slipped at all. From your description, this may be where you are missing it. So again, the clutch should engage with no slip, then, you can mash the gas, IF attitude of the chassis is ready for full throttle. The difference between your bike experience and a 2800lb 2.5 liter car, is for its size, the bike clutch has a much, much easier job to do.
From http://www.spdusa.com/shifting.htm

1 - 20 of 43 Posts