IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard it must be done by the dealer, is this true?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I've read on this forum that if you disconnect your battery for about 20 minutes it will reset itself.... however this is just speculation, I have no personal experience.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
stiperformance said:
Disconnect the negative terminal on your battery and then tap the brakes a few times and then reconnect.
yup its quite easy, dont believe all that "dealer has to do everything" stuff

Robert~

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
there is an easier way to reset the computer. turn key on and off 4 times, but its not that easy......turn key on til needles just start to move, then off. do this three more times, on the fourth time let gauges completely cycle then start engine. dont give up if you dont get it on the first try. it usually takes me 3 or 4 tries to get it. this does work, i checked it against an obdII scanner (it doesent just turn off light).
i want to thank suby dealer in raleigh NC for this info as i was passing thru last week.

i took a trip from NH to NC so i could drive north on the blue ridge parkway. unfortunately on my way to NC my CEL came on, dealer found HO2 (heated O2) sensor has a defective heater circuit. when the car is at the right temp i could reset the computer with the key on/off method and get all the ponies back.

this is my first post, ive been sand-bagging awhile.
i have very good info here, thanks to all

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is the ECU on a fused circuit? If it is, just pull the fuse. That way you don't have to reset your stereo settings. GM's vehicles are, I haven't checked the Subaru yet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
key cycle thing does not work

·
Registered
487 Posts
Will Rota Battles fit?

To reset disconnect battery, pump brakes to bleed capacitive electric charge in the ecu.

However, I'm pretty sure you can't perform the Shiv reset method with the STi like you can with the WRX. I'm pretty sure I read this directly from Shiv on NASIOC. SO I guess we are stuck with the ECU relearning in its own slow way.

·
Registered
248 Posts
all the other methods work, like disconnecting the battery and touch the + to the - for a second. the key cycle is crap blah crap. heh

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I threw a CEL the other day, my first! I know what it was though. I was sitting in traffic and did something I never do, revd my engine up. I have the Perrin CP on along with some other goodies and the CEL came on right when the rpm's were dropping. My guess was that it's the ECU detecting either the engine reving up too fast, or the RPMs dropping off too fast. Anyway, I reset the ECU this morning.

Having a CEL on though doesn't affect performance though, right? I guess certain CEL's would though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts