IW STi Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
lokutus1 said:
like some other people, when i got my sti i thought i wanted big hp with a monster turbo, bov, etc. needless to say, i was not well informed and have changed my mind since joining this forum. since my ride is a daily driver, i went very conservative on the power mods. even with just my tbe and protune, i quickly realized that i hardly ever even use all the power my car has now. after reading the forums, i decided to turn my focus on the handling and braking aspects of my car. i'm glad i did. my car may not be able to hang with some of the big hp cars in a straight away, but that's ok. the smile i get during turns makes up for it.
the real reason i wrote this piece was to convince you and everyone else who reads it NOT to go big. for those who read it and still decide to go big anyway i say, come join me out here on the limb and never say i didn't warn you (isfh).

thanks 5501.

·
Registered
488 Posts
the real reason i wrote this piece was to convince you and everyone else who reads it NOT to go big. for those who read it and still decide to go big anyway i say, come join me out here on the limb and never say i didn't warn you (isfh).

thanks 5501.
I don't know if I am on the limb yet, but I am certainly up in the tree. I am waiting til spring to go to the next steps. I'll also take the money for the PPG dogbox if anyone is in the holiday giving spirit.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
if you start a major project in the spring, unless you have absolute total control of the pace and are doing everything yourself on a schedule under YOUR control, your car will be down when you wish it wasn't; during primo driving weather. even if you have control of pace, the timeline on a big project involves a significant element of luck. the more complicated the project the more unlucky you will be. waiting for parts. waiting for labor. waiting.

the best time is to bring it in is for the winter.

·
Banned
10 Posts
This is... more beautiful than having a naked woman waxing your car...
It covered all the troubles tough my head as a newbie. I dint even knew about the chassis stuff.

AAA+ ++

Great Job ! :tup:

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
is bumping your own thread a form of masturbation? let's hope so.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Awesome write up very informative for a new guy like me. This has swayed me away from a big build project and I'm ok with that. Is there a guide for a "small" build? Ive read the "newbie threads of interest" and "stages" thread plus searched google through IWSTI and can't find it. Id like to stick to a build around 400 whp. Thanks

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
you made my day, noximus. thanks!

in case anyone is curious about my project's status, keep in mind i wrote and posted this thread in nov. '05. nine years and nearly 150k later, my project is still not finished, but it's close.

we're just about running out of things to do or can be done, for that matter. i would do a fuel cell, but the current fuel system is up to the task. we're doing a season on street tires before we switch to slicks over the winter. when we swap to slicks we're swapping out the tarmac3s for phil's grabow's bc racing coilover setup with ridiculous spring rates to match all the downforce. we could still reduce some weight w lexan instead of glass. we have a few aero issues left, including 'dive planes' in the front and a racing diffuser in the rear.

the car, as-is, is better than i am as a driver. god willing, not for long.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts