IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using some footage I got over the weekend, I slapped together a quick video on the way I think is best for launching an STi. Please let me know if it's way too simplified. I tried to keep it very simple and short and use my results as an example.

http://www.schoolsubjects.com/sti/video/HowToLaunchAnSTi.mov

I thought making such a video might be a good idea since there are so many people making so many threads on so many forums, asking how to launch an STi. And a few notes: the car was full when I launched...had jack, spare, tools, emergency roadside kit, camera bag with extra equipment, extra tripod and some other stuff too.

RN

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
What does "65% rear" mean? The torque split is always 35/65 unless either both front or both rears are slipping. The DCCD controls the degree of lock, not the torque split.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slowride said:
What does "65% rear" mean? The torque split is always 35/65 unless either both front or both rears are slipping. The DCCD controls the degree of lock, not the torque split.
Lock full back is what that means...fairly simple. It may control just the lock, but it's obvious that manual vs. auto is a big difference. My times are consistently faster with manual over auto.

I had thought the vid would be helpful since I see so many "how do I launch?" threads popping up.

RN

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slowride said:
Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, the video is helpful. Thanks for posting it.
Thanks. Sorry if I seem touchy. Got a board full of jackasses elsewhere that's really bothering me and it's seeping into other areas (because of me).

RN

·
Registered
586 Posts
renichms said:
Sorry if I seem touchy. Got a board full of jackasses elsewhere that's really bothering me and it's seeping into other areas (because of me).
RN
Simple Solution: only post here. It's done wonders for my e-Blood Pressure. 8)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M said:
renichms said:
Sorry if I seem touchy. Got a board full of jackasses elsewhere that's really bothering me and it's seeping into other areas (because of me).
RN
Simple Solution: only post here. It's done wonders for my e-Blood Pressure. 8)
Haha, thanks for the advice. My solution was to quit visiting the board. I'll concentrate on making videos to let people see, but mostly full-quality copies for DVD. :D

RN

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Oh, come on, we could go terrorize them as a group. :)

CLASS FIELD TRIP!

Ok, sorry.... Just up for rippin some fool a new asshole.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for the video. Quick question:

-When you say stomp on the gas to build boost are you just holding the gas pedal down at a say steady 4,000 RPMs or are you repeatedly stomping on the gas, which it sounds like you are, and hoping to launch while the RPMs and boost are high?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DVTURK said:
Thanks for the video. Quick question:

-When you say stomp on the gas to build boost are you just holding the gas pedal down at a say steady 4,000 RPMs or are you repeatedly stomping on the gas, which it sounds like you are, and hoping to launch while the RPMs and boost are high?
Don't just hold it, unless you put it to the floor. You need to build boost, so rev a bunch or bounce off the rev limiter.

RN

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
If you didn't care too much about your clutch, you could build all the boost you need....

Just hold the brakes all the way down and gas it - not with the same foot. Use your left for brakes and clutch, and your right for gas. I think that seems wierd but when you wanna let out the brakes and clutch at the same time for the launch it'll make sense, lol.... let the clutch out about half way and you'll be pushing against your clutch..... boost builds with resistance, right.....

I've never tried it before, but I'm sure it would build boost.... and probably be very detrimental to the car.

This would probably melt the hell out of your clutch and maybe even make it so slippery that you couldn't grab up afterwords..... but you'd be boosting from the start.....

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bitabur said:
If you didn't care too much about your clutch, you could build all the boost you need....

Just hold the brakes all the way down and gas it - not with the same foot. Use your left for brakes and clutch, and your right for gas. I think that seems wierd but when you wanna let out the brakes and clutch at the same time for the launch it'll make sense, lol.... let the clutch out about half way and you'll be pushing against your clutch..... boost builds with resistance, right.....

I've never tried it before, but I'm sure it would build boost.... and probably be very detrimental to the car.

This would probably melt the hell out of your clutch and maybe even make it so slippery that you couldn't grab up afterwords..... but you'd be boosting from the start.....
Or to build full boost you could just bounce off the rev limiter. ;)

RN

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Will you ever get to full boost bouncing off the limiter? I thought you couldn't build boost unless the engine was under load.....

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bitabur said:
Will you ever get to full boost bouncing off the limiter? I thought you couldn't build boost unless the engine was under load.....
You can build boost or launching techniques would be a useless discussion. Also, if you have an atmospheric BOV and stomp on the gas and hold, bouncing off the rev limiter, you can hear it quite distinctly, so there is at least some boost. Trust me. ;)

Full boost, I think, is under load. Boost is possible though.

RN

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I know you can build some boost.... but I'm trying to concieve a way to get up to full or nearly full boost early on....

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MethodX said:
video is no longer up.. any mirror links ?
Didn't have enough bandwidth. If anyone has bandwidth and wants to host, I'd be happy to turn it over...otherwise, IM me (RENichMS) and I can transfer it.

RN

1 - 20 of 31 Posts