IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what I can use to keep from messing up my screws? Simple jobs like putting on a radiator shroud become a pain in the #########3# when the screw comes out and then just tries to go back in sideways and keeps spinning and spinning without going in and crap like that. Very VERY annoying and it would be very helpful if i could keep from stripping/damaging/misthreading or whatever im doing to these screws when i pull them out. I've tried doing it with the engine bay hot/cold/etc and either way something seems to go wrong everytime.

Robert~

·
Registered
759 Posts
staticx313 said:
Does anyone know what I can use to keep from messing up my screws? Simple jobs like putting on a radiator shroud become a pain in the #########3# when the screw comes out and then just tries to go back in sideways and keeps spinning and spinning without going in and crap like that. Very VERY annoying and it would be very helpful if i could keep from stripping/damaging/misthreading or whatever im doing to these screws when i pull them out. I've tried doing it with the engine bay hot/cold/etc and either way something seems to go wrong everytime.

Robert~
The only input that I can make is go slower. My screw ups generally occur while rushing though the project.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AEM Intake

im trying, but if i cant justremove a single bolt (not even a tight bolt) and it comes out bad and has problems going in, then im doomed in the modification world ;). Are there any other tools I can try other then a socket wrench that might help?

Robert~

·
Registered
199 Posts
one little trick is that when you start a screw/bolt turn it counter-clockwise until you feel the theads "click" and engauge, then tighten it up. also going slowly will help a lot.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why slowly though? i've seen those airpowered ratchets/sockets whatever blast bolts out at like 100mph with no side effects and such lol, maybe i should just invest in some of those or soemthing.

robert~

·
Registered
347 Posts
100mph is fine as long as you have the threads lined up and you don't overtighen, but there is no advantage to going fast other than getting done faster. Going slowly gives you a much better shot at avoiding problems. I would suggest staying away from air tools unless you need the extra torque; doing the job with hand tools lets you feel problems (and therefore giving you the opportunity to STOP before creating bigger problems).

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats true, i just needed to vent about it, cause it was really pissing me off that putting on a radiator panel was going to be a problem lol, but thank you for your help.
Robert~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts