IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on doing the install myself. Does anyone know of a right up with pics? Please send a link if you do know of one. I've checked scoobymods and all over....... haven't found anything.
Thanx

·
Registered
219 Posts
You need a lift, not that it's complicated to do but... you should let a professional handle it to ensure you install the gasket right to ensure it doesn't leak etc. Shops charge about $60-80 for a DP install... why even bother doing it yourself?

Mario

·
Registered
647 Posts
I just did mine. Undo the bolts on the turbo (after heat shield is out), bolts holding it to tranny (I think that's it), bolt on hanger and 2 to cat-back. If you don't have a freak like I did, it should come right out. Putting the new one in is EASY. Just make sure to have a washer or something since the bolts provided are a lot smaller than the holes you fit them in for the cat-back.

RN

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you don't have a freak like I did, it should come right out
What do you mean by this? Can you explain so I don't make the same mistake?

You need a lift
I have a set of ramps....I think I can get under there with those....I would like to save the money if it's that easy..... how hard can putting on the gasket be?

BTW thanx for the info guys...

·
Registered
647 Posts
I put in a Godspeed downpipe. Lifts, jacks with jack stands or ramps should work for this install.

Mine was a freak because I removed all nuts and bolts and it still wouldn't come out. I had to split the stock downpipe in two to remove it.

RN

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RN,
How did you install the gaskets? Did you use black gasket goowy stuff. Did the stock gasket come off easy or was it caked on?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
you should just reuse the gaskets... the stock ones (as long as they dont looked warped or cracked) should be fine.

Robert~

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
the stock downpipe likes to hang up on the mounts and can be quite frustrating. If you are not patient, just split it into 2 sections. Getting the one piece DP's on and off after is even more fun ;)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Reuse the gasket between the turbo and the downpipe. It should just stay on the studs, so it shouldn't be a problem. For the gasket at the cat-back, line up the downpipe and cat-back, slip the gasket between them, then bolt it down. Be SURE to have a washer on the cat-back side so the bolt doesn't slip through. If it slips through, it'll tighten on the gasket but will NOT connect the cat-back, so exhaust would then dump under the car. With all the pre-cut holes for bolts, it shouldn't be difficult. Although my install was a real pain, it's very simple in concept.

RN

·
Registered
647 Posts
I now have a more detailed guide up in the "STi Modifications" section.

Anyone having done the install before, please help clarify anything I was unclear about in it.

RN

1 - 12 of 12 Posts