IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Tools needed, yet not limited to:
Speakers 6 1/2" I used clif designs, Fantastic speakers btw.
screw drivers both types
dremmel with metal cutting wheel
metal coat hanger
pliers
can't remember what else.

First you have to remove the rear door panel

flip out the screw covers and remove the screws

Remove the panel ever so gently by poping out the plastic clips. If one brakes you will need to get some new ones to proplerly put the panel back on.

Remove screws and old crappy speaker!

Remove plastic keepers

Measure up the new speakers, lol.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ctud

CTUD

Mark out the new hole as close to the bottom corner as you can. Need a marker for this part.

Using a dremmel and some saftey glasses cut out the metal.

Looking at the size difference.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Keep cutting...

Soon you will be done.

using the coat hanger trick you may want to run some new wires... These speakers are 85 watts rms so I will be using an external amp.

You will probably want to remove both seats to make the amp installation and the wire running easier. Tip, take it easy when trying to remove the clips for the airbag, seat belt sensor and what ever else they put under there.

Wiring up the amp was a PITA... Once you found the correct wires to tap into it got easier. Don't ask why the whole dash was taken out.. lol.
So easy a baby could do it!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sound of the new speakers is fantastic! 10000000x better then the stock junk! More base and way louder! Now I can't hear myself when I am singing to the music.

Most definitetly a must if you like music!

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Awesome installation! And the largest pics I've seen, jesus!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
trnkmnky said:
and issues with the glass hitting the speakers, or the speakers hitting the door panels??
None what so ever... Probably could have gone bigger. The glass doesn't go down all the way in the back so that isn't an issue. The fronts on the other hand might be a problem.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I also went with 6.5s in the rear

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
STiSubyMan said:
Thanks for Info.
Can u pleasee resize??
it would help so much!!
:Tup:
Done... I wanted to do it earlier but didn't have the time. Hope its better now.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
guirgis2005 said:
damn ... how long did this take ?? great job btw !
It took a few hours... Not long at all. I was just super careful while cutting, so maybe that was the most time consuming part.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looks great! Have a question though, how did you mount them? Did you drill a hole and use the thread inserts or did you just use self-tapping screws?

I really want to do this too. When I bought my car it came with Alpine Type-S 4.5" and they are so quiet I thought they didn't work! :lol:

·
I'm Jim Halpert
8,245 Posts
looks good. i dont think id ever do that though. i could never bring myself to cut metal parts in the sti

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kaos said:
Looks great! Have a question though, how did you mount them? Did you drill a hole and use the thread inserts or did you just use self-tapping screws?

I really want to do this too. When I bought my car it came with Alpine Type-S 4.5" and they are so quiet I thought they didn't work! :lol:
I drilled holes and poped the right size screw in. It worked fantasticly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WESTI said:
looks good. i dont think id ever do that though. i could never bring myself to cut metal parts in the sti
Well, I thought the same thing but its in the door so no one will see if you mess up. Just take your time and do a little bit at a time.

The sound difference is phenomenal! :tup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Cut away

I did the same thing with a jig saw and but in 5" diamond audio coaxe - night and day (driven by 80W RMS amp). Just remember to prime the bare metal as it will get wet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts