IW STi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys, still working on this GF210 install. A quick question, how do you get at the lower of the two 19mm lower strut bolts on the rear struts? there is no way I can break it with an open ended wrench (I have had to use a breaker bar for all of the others). and the piece that attaches to the wheel (axel maybe?) is right in the way. I can't even get a 19mm short socket over the bolt.

any help is greatly appreciated.

if you don't mind checking it out, I had another problem with a seatbelt too!

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62372

thanks guys, you have all helped me so much!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
okay, so now that I have the passenger side wheel off, it is the same way on the passenger side. How can you clear the axle?

argh this is driving me crazy!

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
I use a 1/2 19mm socket with a 3 or 6in extension and a breaker bar for the Botl head, and a 19mm open ended wrench for the nut. They are stuck on there hard, so dont be afraid to muscle it off. Both will fit on that lower bolt.

as for the seat belt, F that, but a 12mm rachet wrench, and be done with it. you can get to that nut under the belts with that and not have to remove the belts. You are also going to need one in 100 other places ;)

good luck and i would offer to come over and help... but you're a little far

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, I think I'm really screwed now. I have rounded off the bolt head trying to break it free by turning the bolt side rather than the nut side (I can't get nearly enough leverage to break the nut with a closed end wrench. What can I do now???

·
Registered
814 Posts
those bolts are a b*tch. I used my friends air tools and still couldnt get them undone. Gunna have to find a breaker bar...

ps ive had my prodrives for 3 weeks i want them on the car now!!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sticop said:
those bolts are a b*tch. I used my friends air tools and still couldnt get them undone. Gunna have to find a breaker bar...

ps ive had my prodrives for 3 weeks i want them on the car now!!

You'll get it, just as I did! Just be prepared to crank on it/beat on it/curse at it/drink a beer and stare at it :lol: get a can of PB Blaster and let er soak

·
Registered
622 Posts
I did the double wrench trick to get more leverage.

NUT>>closed wrench end>>open wrench end>>2nd closed wrench end>>2nd open wrench end.

·
Super Moderator
10,725 Posts
Or a 2ft pipe on the end of the breaker bar.
I have a good impact, 6" 1/2 drive extension, long 19mm socket and 185psi air pressure for 10 secs......Done

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used a 19mm 1/2" drive deep socket on one side and the lug wrench that came with the car on the other. The six point lug wrench let me put a great deal of torque into the bolt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You mentioned that you had trouble getting one of the 19 mm bolts out because it was hitting the axle. I am in the middle of an install and the bolt's head is inward. I can not get the bolt out because the axle is in the way.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
459 Posts
1/2" drive breaker bar and a deep socket always worked for me.

I always thought about putting the bolt in from the other side so next time I can torque the nut vs. the bolt. Any reason this can't or shouldn't be done?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
^ I alwase wanted to do that too haha. What a freakin pita!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts