IW STi Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I was going to do this last night but my girlfriend was going to be nice and try and clean up my garage for me while I was at work and threw my heat shield away and the garbage came already.. fml
I would make a big deal about it to get a new one from her...:naughty:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Curious if anyone had to trim the heatshield from an '08 WRX to fit VF52 ('09+) turbo or its wastegate actuator? If so, any pics/suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a turbo blanket and have it with the stock heatshield after I cut it could you elaborate more on this?
I have a T3/T4 blanket from ptp and using a grimmspeed shield. Still fits. I suggest you upgrade to the grimmspeed if you can

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an old ass thread but that's what they're here for, reference. Anyway, I'm going to need to trim my stock heat shield to install my COBB DP, but OPs original pictures are not showing anymore. sucks :(.. and no I don't feel like spending another $75 on the aftermarket COBB HS.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I'm going to need to trim my stock heat shield to install my COBB DP, but OPs original pictures are not showing anymore. sucks :(.. and no I don't feel like spending another $75 on the aftermarket COBB HS.
Trimming is better. The standard aftermarket heat shields are "all the same" and not great. They don't keep heat in, They mostly help shield the inter-cooler. Turbo-blankets keep the heat in! If it doen't get out, theres less, much less to shield. Not sure how they fit stock setups, but there is no remotely easy way to fit one around my cars' stock location Blouch 1.5XTR. I have a PTP and recently tried. Too many hoses and things coming out in the wrong directions. At a minimum I'd have to Completely redo the turbo and AOS plumbing. I have a Cobb. I'd much rather have the blanket on.

OK off topic, but I have o tell this story here:

The first car I ever bought was a non-running 69 GTO for maybe $500. It needed a lot of work. I found an entire front end at the junkyard for $200 – over a week’s pay for me at the time. Got it home in a pickup. But, it was really heave and damn big. I got it out onto my parents front yard and went to work at a store I sometimes operated alone. Later a friend called and informed me the trash workers had taken it. I could not leave the store, but he went to work to tracking it down for me. He learned that a guest in our home had given them permission to take it. The city informed him that it would have gone to the dump. At the gate at the dump he was allowed to enter and drive to a giant front-end loader. He described what he was looking for to its operator. The operator exclaimed “yeah I remember it, it’s flat as a pancake and ten feet down now ! ! !.”

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Added: Might as well finish . . .had that car on the road all of two weeks :) Summertime around dinner WFO we (it and I) went airborne over/off a bridge. Spun a bearing when it landed. Knew it instantly. Coasted 1/2 mile to a stop. Called the previous owner, my best friend , and we had the engine out that night. BTW, the speedometer didn't work :)

That car was kind of a beast - big, heavy, drum breaks, 400CUI - and it didn't make the power my current STI does :). It didn't handle as poorly as one might have thought though - still nothing like an STI.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm planning on trimming my stock heat shield this weekend to fit my onto my COBB DP. I have a 2012 STI btw. Anyway this would be a great guide to follow if the pictures actually showed. Seems like they're corrupt or something, they just show really blurry now with the photobucket logo on them. I would really rather follow someone's visual steps that has done it before so I can get it right the first time instead of me trimming then test-fitting, then again trimming and test-fitting and so forth.
Does anyone have the original clear pictures you can post? Or a link to another how to with pics? thanks.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts