IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a short and simple 'how to'. Thought I'd get this done in the process of TBE install. The downpipe used here is the Invidia catted dp. I'm only showing you where I cut and the after result not the installation process. I read somewhere that the amount of bolts used to hold the shield to the turbo depends on the year. For the 07, I was left with 3 un-used bolts.

Tool used: Dremel with: cutting wheel(expect to use about 3-5);
stone attachment(used to grind down sharp edges)

Before:
1. To start, here it the shield in all its glory. What will be cut off is circled in green.

2. From the inside you can see how much will be cut(marked in green)

3. From the back(cut along the green line)
Note: at the spot welds where the 2 pieces meet, you will take a little more time in cutting since it's 2 layers now.

4. The end results: LIKE A GLOVE!!!

Hope this helps those who are not interested in buying another turbo shield. I personally feel the stock shield covers better than the aftermarket(not mentioning a turbo blanket) from what I've seen in other threads. The plus here is that it's more of a sleeper this way. Enjoy.:tup:

·
Registered
98 Posts
that is a great how-to, it came out really good! if i can get my hands on an extra stock one i would like to do this.

thanks!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thank you so much! I used a marker and drew a line like your green line, then cut along the line and it fit my Perrin catted DP perfectly :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
What do you gain from cutting part of the heat shield?? I am confused why you would want to take part of it off.. is it a fitment issue with aftermarket downpipe?? Came across this because thinking of purchasing the SPT heat shield.

·
Registered
987 Posts
What do you gain from cutting part of the heat shield?? I am confused why you would want to take part of it off.. is it a fitment issue with aftermarket downpipe?? Came across this because thinking of purchasing the SPT heat shield.
Bingo. The stock heat shield has a tight fit to the stock DP. If you put an aftermarket DP on, you have to trim away the areas that interfere if you want to keep the stock heat shield. The other option is to buy an aftermarket heat shield or turbo blanket.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Gonna be doing this for sure. Just gonna it into work and slice it apart with a cutting torch torch haha. Already have the turbo blanket installed, gonna put this over it. ;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I was going to do this last night but my girlfriend was going to be nice and try and clean up my garage for me while I was at work and threw my heat shield away and the garbage came already.. fml

1 - 20 of 33 Posts