IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to cut out the rear door sheet metal with a Dremel. I just don't know what attachment to use. Has anyone done this with a Dremel before that can help me use the right attachment?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
It depends on what type of cut you want to make, and why.

If you want to make a fairly large cut in a straight line, use the ceramic disks.... kinda like a rotary saw. They're disposable cutting disks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have tons of those disk cutters but I also have like a rotary tool attachment that uses some sort of drill bit. Can I use that?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Active Camber.....

Like I said, it depends on what you're making the cut for. I can't really advise very well unless I know what kind of cut you want to make.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I would recommend the disks then, they're pretty good for fairly large cuts.

I'm sure you can use just about any dremel tool that will get the job done - most of them are rated for wood and soft metals - but you want something that'll make the job easy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
What a pain in the butt!! I spent about 3 hours and 3 broken dremel grinding bits working on just the passenger side rear. This worked our cleanly but it certainly wasn't an ideal cutting solution in terms of speed. I tried to use the cutting disks at first but I really couldn't find a good way to make a clean cut with those. I think I'm going to use the grinders and patience on the other side.

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding rust after the grinding is said and done?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don't do it. I used a carbide tip grinding bit on mine and it took forever. Not only that, being the dope I am I decide I wouldn't need gloves for the job. Neways I ended up getting about 30 metal splinters in my hands. Not cool to have to dig each one back out with a needle. Plus after cutting one door my dremel is acting up now, even on slow speed it revs like its on high speed now.

Instead go with a tool you can get at radio shack called a nibbler. I found out about this great tool on the jdm sidemarker thread and realized it would work great to enlarge the rear speaker hole. Plus its less dangerous to use and probably will take you less time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts