IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the STI best left stock? or what mods are "worth" doing and potentially entering in another class?

I would like some help from you guys, potentially even maybe some hand holding at an event in the Rocky mountain region? any active SOLO II people in CO?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
The absolute biggest thing you can probably do is buy some R compound tires.

Other than that you are looking at upgrading the rear bar, steering rack bushings and other suspension bushings and links. Of course coil overs would be an improvement as well as a boost controller and exhaust.

If you are just starting out, just boost the tire pressures and learn to drive it well before you sink a lot of money into mods.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
XMan is on the rigth path. In stock form, currently the STi can be quite competitive. Just this past weekend, an STi driven by a former amateur rally driver took the fastest time of day, where amongst the participants, there were local and national SCCA champions many other STis and Evos.

If you want to be competitive in stock form, R-compound tires are a must. However, if you upgrade the rear bar or any of the bushings, then you will be in the "street prepared" class automatically. Which is not necessarily bad, but I won't go in to the classing system as we have not yet received the 2004 rule book.

I agree with XMan, use the vehicle few events or a season, then determine what type of improvements would give you the most value. In stock class, you can change the front anti-roll bar, the air filter, the valving of the shock absorbers but not the springs, and you cannot change suspension pick up points.

For more detailed information, check the following link, but keep in mind that the updates will be released in Jan 04.

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/

M

·
0 Posts
I raced this weekend against 5 others in A-Stock, and was the only one not on R-compound tires. (just on the stock STi).

It was also my first SCCA solo2 autocross thingy. I was dead last, but less than .01 seconds behind the next guy, 2 full seconds from the front guy who was in an Evo.

I think with the right tires and some experience, I could be a lot more competitive, :) Also, if I had known that there was an ASN (novice) class, I would have been first in it, hehe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If this is your first time. Run stock. Don't change anything except your tire pressures. I'm running 37F and 37R which worked pretty well but I haven't had enough autox's in this car to figure an optimal pressure yet. Other than that have fun and hang on. This car is friggen fast. :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
i know you're allowed new struts in stock, perhaps the sti adjustable ones from rallispec.com . you are also allowed a catback, probably a titanium one would be good- weight savings and horspower, and the tires are a must if you're going to be competitive. Last, perhaps a book on solo strategies and techniques?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the inputs reason I asked was because I was on a virge to enter solo with my 98 RS but I had made so many changes that made my car modified but not in a key way so to say... So apart from getting R-compound tires, everything else is not worth as you get tossed in another class and might aswell start chipping out even more cheddar. Where is the line drawn on weight reduction modifications though? as in lighter inner bumper beams, (things that the tech inspection dude wouldn't see) etc etc...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
yxan2:

OK, here's the deal as I see it. :) If I were you, I would prep for ESP. Why? Because if the SEB leaves us classed there, we will be going up against Moostangs and Camaros. I really beleive that STi MILDLY prepped for ESP with a decent driver will rip that class up. Don't get me wrong- regionally there are some AWESOME drivers in ESP driving GREAT cars, but I think that you would be better served there then SM, which is a "how much can you spend" fest, and a bunch of AWESOME drivers. Unless you want to spend mucho money, stay out of SM, I have learned my lesson...

So what are my optimistic plans? Assuming SEB continues to class the EVO and the STi in ESP:

- R-Compounds
- Turboback exhaust
- Uppipe/Downpipe
- Strut Tower bars front and rear
- K and N air filter
- Guages
- STi Spec C Springs
- POSSIBLY a set of Coilovers, I don't know, I'll have to see if they are needed.

Really, I think the brakes are more than enough for Autocross as they are, maybe some different pads.

And a note on the "tech inspection dude", don't even try cheating in this region, run in the correct class. Regionally they frown upon it, and in a Divisional or National event you could find yourself in the throws of a messy protest possibly including a tear down of your car. Not fun..

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
jj, how long have you been autoxing? i may have met you in passing at some point. maybe the 94 nationals in salina,ks not that my memory is that good though. it was a long time ago. i went for the experience with no chance at a trophy (csp).

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: to my dismay my side valence ...

cool thanks for your nice response JJ :) I wasnt of course thinking about cheatin i was just curious to how the tech inspection is performed.

·
Registered
382 Posts
After reading the rulebook, it seems that intake silencer removal would be considered a change to the intake plumbing, and therefore bump you into ESP, that sound right?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
GSXR said:
If this is your first time. Run stock. Don't change anything except your tire pressures. I'm running 37F and 37R which worked pretty well but I haven't had enough autox's in this car to figure an optimal pressure yet. Other than that have fun and hang on. This car is friggen fast. :D
Next time, try 37f 38.5r on the 070s and let us know how it feels. Those are the pressures I use and I like the slight rear twitcheness (OMG, that word again :D)

In terms of the STi being competitive in SP, I think it sure can be. However, it is really too early to bet on ESP, I think we will be suprised; I hope I am wrong however. The biggest benefit of going in to the SM would be the allowance of some major engine modifications. If you have a plan to boost the pressure and make some serious engine mods and boost the STi to roughly 400 whp, then SM would be a good place to be in. Controlling that much horsepower with 4WD is obviously easier.

Also, SM would allow much more weight saving measures than SP; so hp increase with reduction in weight and chassis modifications would be awesome :)

However, as JJ said, it all depends on how much money one wants to spend :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've run my STi with 40F, 40R and did fine. Four autocrosses so far. First one I didn't do so hot. Second I think I got 26th of 34, then 27th of 33. Last autoX, I got 8th of 37. Keep it completely stock! AutoX often! Once you've got some experience you'll be able to toss it around pretty well. And personally, I will not modify my car until I have been able to test some of its stock potential. I want to know how to handle the car before I change anything. It's not broke, so don't fix it...yet. ;)

RN

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool thanks for that input I will just follow your guys suggestion and run it stock until I have all the knowledge about the car down to an art :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Learn the car before you attempt to modify it. You would think that moving from the WRX to the STI would be a natural thing, but the differeneces are larger than even I expected.

The STI is vastly more capable than you could expect out of the WRX. I have done pretty well autocrossing my STI, but I still have problems braking too deep, too late to properly execute the turn I need to make.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts