IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to create this thread since although there was good information on the forums regarding how to do a seat swap, there weren't a lot of pictures to document the process. Hopefully I can cover a lot of the questions that people have prior to installing seats (I know I had a bunch).

I decided to go with Wedge Engineering seat brackets and sliders. They are the people that make the brackets and sliders for most major aftermarket seat companies. The brackets also have the availability to adjust the height of the seat, so that is what sold me. For seats I went with Recaro Sportster CS. Obviously your install may have some differences if you don't have the same seats and brackets. If that's the case you'll have to get creative for a few things, like I did.

What you'll need prior to the install:
-Two 3.3 ohm 1/4 watt resistors (make sure they are 3.3 ohm...NOT 3.3k ohm)
-Torx T50 bit
-Seat brackets of your choice
-Sliders of your choice
-Seats

Tools you'll need to complete the job:
-Electrical tape
-13mm hex socket
-14mm hex socket
-10mm socket or wrench
-Socket wrench & extension
-Zip ties (optional but a good idea to keep things neat and clean)
-Flat head screwdriver (comes in handy to release clips and such)
-Drill w/ 11/64 or similar drill bit
-In my case I needed a Dremel to create a hole in the bottom of the new seat for the occupant detection system

How to:
1. First things first, take your 10mm wrench and remove one of the terminals to the battery. Pump the brakes a few times to make sure all the voltage is drained (I forgot to do this but didn't have a problem).

2. Let's start with the drivers side seat. This one is easy. Move your seat as far forward as possible. Remove the 2 plastic covers on the rear of the seat bracket. They simply pull off by hand.

Place them to the side as you will not be reusing them. Remove the two rear bolts (14mm). Move the seat as far back as possible and remove the two front bolts (14mm). Now tilt the seat back so that you can have access to the underside of the seat. Once you do you'll be looking at this.

The yellow wire/clip is the airbag connection. The white clip is the seatbelt. Unclip both of these. The white clip is easy, just press on the tab and pull. The yellow clip is a little more difficult. You'll notice the black portion on the yellow clip actually slides up and down. You'll need to slide it down as far as you can and pull, this will release the airbag wire. I'll show you how that clip works a few posts down.

3. Now that everything is unbolts and unclipped you can remove your drivers seat. Fold the seatback as far forward as possible to make carrying it out easier. Lift the seat out and maneuver it through the doorway. Take care not to scratch the door panel or door sill while doing this. Your removed seat:

This is what you're left with:

4. Now it's time to remove your seatbelt. This is where you need the torx t50 bit.

Unscrew that bolt, remove the wire from the wire holders on the underside of the seat and you are left with this.

5. Back to the car. Test fit your seat bracket to make sure it's the correct one.

Then take your seat bracket and fit the seatbelt to it (if it has a provision for a seatbelt as the Wedge brackets do. For the Wedge bracket, it is pre-threaded so you can simply bolt the seatbelt in place.

6. Next I fit the sliders to the seat. There are 2 bolts on each slider that hold it in place. Move the slider all the way up, install one bolt. Move the slider all the way down, install the other bolt.
Seat prior to sliders:

Sliders in place:

Complete:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: How To: Aftermarket Seats in a GR w/ airbag fix & pass. side bladder replacement

7. Now on to the airbag light fix. This is your airbag plug, and this is where the resistor goes. You place the resistor in the middle 2 holes, making sort of a 'u'.

Resistor installed:

Secure the resistor in place with electrical tape.

And here is how to unclip the airbag plug in the first place.
This is how it looks when clipped:

Slide the black portion down and pull, this will release the clip.

8. Next thing I did was secure the seat bracket in place with the 4 original bolts that held in the stock seats. You can either do it this way or the way I did the passenger seat, which will be documents below. I then zip tied the loose wires to the seat bracket so they are not loose.

9. Now your seat bracket is in place, your wires are secured, and your sliders are in place on the new seat. You're ready to drop the new seat in place. With the Recaro it was easy because the seatback folds forward. Drop the seat in place and bolt it in (4 13mm bolts, washers, and lock washers provided by Wedge). Don't forget to connect the seatbelt clip underneath the seat prior to bolting it down!

10. Snug all bolts down and your drivers seat is done! Have a seat, move the seat forward and back to make sure it works, and set your seat position. One down one to go!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: How To: Aftermarket Seats in a GR w/ airbag fix & pass. side bladder replacement

Onto the passenger side. This one is a little more tricky. You have to remove the occupant detection system from the stock seat and relocate it onto the new seat. You're going to have to get creative.

11. Same deal as the drivers side...pull off the plastic covers on the seat bracket and remove all four 14mm bolts. Tilt the seat back and this is what you'll see:

There are 3 plugs this time, 1 for the airbag and 2 for the occupant detection system Unclip all of them and remove the seat, same as the drivers side.

12. Remove the seatbelt, same as the drivers side.

13. Here is the underside of the passenger seat. The occupant detection module is the gray box with the bar code on it. This has to be removed.

14. To remove the occupant detection system you have to move the seat foam and cover out of place. Remove the fabric from the metal bar near the front of the seat. This is sort of clipped on.

Next, there are 4 white clips...2 on each side of the seat. Unclip all 4.

I wasn't able to completely remove the seat foam, however I had enough access to be able to remove the detection system bladder from underneath the seat foam.

15. Here is the module that needs to be removed. Notice the 2 rivets, one in the upper left corner of the module, the other in the lower right corner.

Now remove the clips from the metal mounting tab below the module.

Now you have to drill out the 2 rivets holding the module in place. I used an 11/64 drill bit and it seemed to be the perfect size to do the job, however anything similar to that would do the job also. Once you drill them out you'll be left with this.

16. Remove the bladder from underneath the seat cushion. Take care in doing so. There are 2 green push pins that hold the bladder to the metal seat base, you're going to have to remove them to be able to remove the bladder.

17. Now the fun starts. Moving all this stuff to the new seat. To do the job on the Sportster, I had to remove the seat base.

Then unclip the seat cover from the seat frame so I could access an area to place the bladder.

First I placed the bladder on the underside of the seat, as to get an estimate where I needed to run the hose from the bladder. Unfortunately, there was no spot to run the hose, thus I had to create my own. I used a drill bit to create a hole, then a Dremel to make the hole large enough for the bladder hose and clip to fit through.

18. Now to look for a spot to mount the module. I didn't like the idea of self taping screws directly into the seat bottom. I found that the module somewhat fit onto the area where the vent is on the seat bottom. I made use of some double sided tape and a zip tie to secure it.

The bladder system and module in place:

That was the hard part. Not too bad I suppose, just have to get creative as how to mount the module. It also takes a bit of finesse to get the bladder underneath the seat foam and into place.

19. Now the easy stuff. Follow the same procedure as the drivers side for the resistor in the airbag plug. Bolt the sliders into place on the new seat, seat belt to the seat bracket, ect. I actually installed the passenger seat a little different from the drivers seat, and found it to be a bit easier this way. I installed the seat bracket to the floor first with the seat and sliders separate on the drivers side. On the passengers side I bolted everything together prior to installing it in the car, seat bracket included. I found this to be a bit easier, rather then having to line up the sliders to the bracket while it's in the car. You can do it either way...personal preferences I assume.

20. Plug everything back in underneath the seat, secure everything with some zip ties, and bolt the seat down. You're done! Test everything out, make sure your aigbag light is off and make sure your occupant detection system is functional. When no one is sitting in the passenger seat a light will show "air bag off" up near the clock. Then someone is sitting there, it will read "air bag on".

Please feel free to add if you think I've missed something. Any questions feel free to ask. Enjoy and good luck!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Im so glad someone did a How to on this, i will get some seats now because i really dislike the stock ones, thanks man!!!

Oh and im assuming you lost your seat heaters and side airbags?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

My '09 never had the seat heaters so I did not lose them, however if your car has them then yes, you would lose them. It's an easy fix though as there are plenty of aftermarket seat heater options out there that can be installed.

Side airbags are lost.

·
Registered
273 Posts

This thread was super helpful on my 06 as well. Now gotta figure out what's going on with my '08.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts

Great write up and I'm rather jealous of those seats. If I were to go with adjustable seats those are my fav that I've sat in. If I go with non adjustable I may go with Racetech 4009's. Lovely set you have!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

Thank god I've been hoping one of these were going to come up before I tackled this. Excellent write up!

·
Registered
39 Posts

Hey I am a noob and want to know when installing after market seats im assuming you loose the airbag due to using the resistor?

·
Registered
5,106 Posts

You lose the side airbags yes. The resistor is to keep the rest of the airbags functional.

The side airbags are in the factory seats. You are of course taking a risk going aftermarket seats. There may be insurance coverage issues so make sure removing the side airbags is OK with your insurance company. With the resistor you will still have front and curtain airbags which is better than nothing.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts

Yeah I don't remember off hand but if you search on the forums here someone will tell you. I think it has something to do with having the key on on and then having to repeatedly stick the male end into the female end quickly numberous times to defeat it. It will reset though anytime the battery is disconnected.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yeah I don't remember off hand but if you search on the forums here someone will tell you. I think it has something to do with having the key on on and then having to repeatedly stick the male end into the female end quickly numberous times to defeat it. It will reset though anytime the battery is disconnected.
Ok cool. I will have a look.

·
Registered
92 Posts

I know it's an old thread, but anyone happen to have the part numbers for the passenger side bladder and airbag module? Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts

i did everything exactly how you did it, and my airbag light on my dash is still on??? What is wrong? Is their anything i can do to fix this?

·
Registered
14 Posts

Beautiful write up!!!!! I also have new seats and pretty much followed your whole process. But here is my questions about the passenger airbag. I had my sister sit in the passenger side and took her for a drive,but the passenger airbag light that's near my clock says its OFF, is there a common issue with this while swapping? i mean plugged in everything that needed to be plugged in. Is it really accurate on detecting someone sitting down?

I followed the process of the detection system and placed the mat under the new seat. Is there any way of knowing or checking it works properly? I just want the airbag to go off if someone is actually sitting there. haha thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts