IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on here and google and couldnt find any real information besides air bag info and stuff. Any way, since the STI is so lightweight and cut down to save weight, is it unsafe?? Will the car just fall apart if you get hit or into an accident? I know it has front and side airbags which is great, but does anyone know if it is an OK car in this catagory?? Need some positive feedback to help convince the parents its ok to get one haha

·
Registered
119 Posts
it's real safe man....when i bought the STi, i saw ratings for the safety and it was one of the best...go to the dealer and ask for it. the test was government tested man.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Well, it's a Hell of a lot safer than the CRX I've been driving for almost 16 years. At #3200, I would think most folks would be looking to pare the STi down a bit... I know I will. Relatively speaking, I think the STi is extremely safe.

My guess would be that, in a "parental persuation" situation, driver judgement would be the prime safety concern.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
It may be small, but it is 3263 lbs according to Subaru. It's not THAT light. That's more than 700 lbs heavier than a Toyota Celica, 600 some lbs more than a Civic sedan, and about only about 100 lbs less than an Accord EX V-6 sedan.

And it can still kick all their butts without trying hard.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The impreza line was tested to be the safest car in it's class in the crash testing done by the government. Now add the bad arse driveline we enjoy and you can take a guess on how safe it is.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Stops faster than a 360 Modenna which is like 5x the cost of our cars, so I would say its as safe as the driver behind the steering wheel. People do not jump out in front of the STI any more than they do any other car on the street. If you drive it into a wall, it will break just like any other car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
well ... i've got real world data for ya ...

Got rear ended by an old F150 truck. Those things are buckets of steel with no stopping power, so add to that the unattentive female driver in the seat and you get an F150 rear ending an STi at 40mph. Lots of rear end damage, but I wasn't even sore 3 days after the crash (thanks to the seat reclining at impact).

The STi though .... thats another story.
Be prepared to see some crazy bills for repairs (which all go to the insurance company, hopefully). My current damage is up around 13,000 ... and that was only a rear-end impact! (Bumper, trunk, both quarterpanels, inner and outer wheel houses, trunk floor, and frame rails behind the wheels)

All in all ... this car is crazy safe though. Drags you to a stop quicker than you can imagine, and is awesome in quick lane change manuevers! On top of that, its got front and side airbags.

Doesn't get much better IMHO.

Just my 2 pennies,
Smitty

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
SmittyTi said:
(thanks to the seat reclining at impact)
You don't mean the seat leaned backwards when you got hit, do you? The seats are supposed to hold firm on impact, not be breaking or moving around.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For Impreza chassis crash ratings & results go to the following;

www.nhtsa.gov
www.iihs.org

And for future reference with other models you may be interested in there is always; www.euroncap.com

The Impreza chassis rates the _highest_ in its class for crashworthiness.
Its as safe a car as you could get for its class. Just don't go running into Ford Excursions or dumptrucks as you might lose.

- Janq

·
Registered
121 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
SmittyTi said:
(thanks to the seat reclining at impact)
You don't mean the seat leaned backwards when you got hit, do you? The seats are supposed to hold firm on impact, not be breaking or moving around.
yes I DO mean that the seat reclined on impact ... thought that most new cars did this to reduce the blow to the occupants on rear end impacts?

should it not have done that???? should I get my seats checked out before it gets out of the shop??

Smitty

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I would mention it to them, that does not sound right. The problem I see is that you could be ejected out of the seat because the seat belt would no longer be holding you in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Door Sills

The STi has a combination side/head airbag. In a question I posed during a visit to the IIHS facility, they stated that the combo is as effective in preventing head injuries as the the tube (BMW) or side curtain (VW, MB, etc.) The Forester that got the highest IIHS ratings for side impact has the combo bags. Drive safely.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
gforced said:
I would mention it to them, that does not sound right. The problem I see is that you could be ejected out of the seat because the seat belt would no longer be holding you in.

But if you get hit from the rear, your seatbelt isn't doing anything anyway, because your body is going to have a tencency to want to go backwards, not forwards.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
True, but if you seat reclines during impact, your body would have a tendency to slide into the back seat. I was thinking more on the lines of the seatbelt keeping you against the seat.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Bel 985 question

I don't think any car seat is supposed to collapse upon rear impact. That sounds like a recipe for back injuries to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my understanding is force takes you forward with the initial hit then, you go backwards whiplash. hmmm

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
My guess would be that when you are rear ended your body should tend to feel like it is being pushed into the seat and then thrown forward.

Think about it...the impact accelerates the car and we all know what acceleration feels like.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts