IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title said, if anyone can give some details about turbo which is supporting to 600whp, pump gas system, and all other necessary supporting mods, labor for rebuilding 600 whp STI? Just wanna gain some details before I down shop. Huge thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you’re getting a shop to do everything, in Canada, for 600whp on pump, id prepare for upwards of 40k CAD if you’re doing it “properly”. With tax(13% in Ontario), parts, exchange rate, labor it really adds up. Its a lot more expensive to do North of the border. I’m doing something similar now in Canada.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,363 Posts
With no information, no-one can provide more than a guess, and we all guess the same thing. To do it right, a lot - even today when it is not so uncommon.

There are many choices. Many of us would do it differently. You need to learn enough to make your own choices or find a shop that will do it for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with mheyman. It’s impossible to give a cost. Even with a parts list, labor can fluctuate, problems arise and different shops do things differently. And there are always things that you add on while building. Best to find a good shop and talk to them and do lots of research on what works for you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You are fortunate now in that you have the option of buying an IAG longblock off the shelf, which was not a standard offering when I started my journey. If I had to do it all over again now I would just buy one of those longblocks, unless you have plans to race the car and know a well respected builder specializing in that discipline (pros and cons but my understanding is racers prefer to go the sleeved route and use a seasoned engine for that purpose). For a daily the IAG is hard to beat and has a proven track record.

However, regardless what you choose engine wise, you will still need all the supporting mods, which will easily double the cost of the long block. 20K is a conservative number (if you want to do it right and have longevity) and you probably need to plan for a minimum 20% variance, depending on choices. The thread referenced above is a good starting point. Also search for user1029’s thread related to progression; it will help you plan your path. I wish I had seen that before I started my journey as it would have made a huge difference with some of my early choices.

Last thing I would say is make sure you and your tuner is 100% on the same page and that you verify the recommendations they give for the build. When I started my path my direction for my builder was an end goal of a comfortable 550-600 whp. They built me a 500whp rated engine and did not explain all the additional mods I would need to get to where I wanted to be. At the time I did not know a fraction of what I know now (and I am still no expert by any means), but I naively trusted we were on the same page. The engine they built me cost the same (or very close to) an IAG long block rated in excess of my original end goals and I would not have had to wait such a long time for the build to be completed either. Some of the supporting mods they installed were way underrated, which resulted in “double-buys” (e.g., 1000cc injectors that I had to replace with 1700’s when I did the fuel rails, a different fuel pump, etc.)

If all this is way above what you originally thought, then do it incrementally (using user’s thread as a guide).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.