173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody try running regular? Shell Silver? Or is this a big no-no? :roll:

·
Registered
857 Posts
New addition to the family

RTFM!!!!!!!!!

actually just read the gas filler door. that should tell you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Norseman said:
Anybody try running regular? Shell Silver? Or is this a big no-no? :roll:
Interesting topic for your first post. Why on earth would you want to make less power and have the engine run worse? :roll:

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Nothing wrong with running regular at all. Just do an engine swap with an RS owner. Might as well do a hood and trunk swap to while you're at it since you won't need them. Hell, why not just swap the whole damn car with an RS owner!

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ldivinag said:
RTFM!!!!!!!!!

actually just read the gas filler door. that should tell you.
I'll read the FM when I get my F Car. I guess I'm just not rich like all the rest of you guys and want to run a lower octane once in a while. My car comes in in two weeks; and most of the stations around here have a max of 92 octane.

Thanks for the advice!
:evil:

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TFM

SnowbordrWRX said:
Nothing wrong with running regular at all. Just do an engine swap with an RS owner. Might as well do a hood and trunk swap to while you're at it since you won't need them. Hell, why not just swap the whole damn car with an RS owner!
I guess that sarcasm is all one can expect from a guy with a smiley face, real one must be too ugly. I bet you can't ski either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you live in a high altitude area running 92 or 91 octane gas will probably be alright. However, you definitely don't want to run regular unleaded cause that can your car to detonate and then you'd have more expenses then just gas to worry about. The manual also says that you can make do with the middle grade if you don't mind a loss of power and if you're in a bind. Infact my car came with a little slip of paper that says to run 94 octaine. Every fill up I use 1/2 bottle of NOS octaine booster. Those are $12 a pop. So my gas bill's around $22 a week. Ouch. :eek:

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
Norseman, settle down, this isnt a good way to join a group of people, expessially this one. this is one of the few forums around where it is free of crap that goes on in other forums, enjoy your time here there is some people here with great know how.
use the highest grade fuel you have in your area, for a matter of about $3 a tank give or take abit it isnt worth the chance of hurting your engine or performance.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Race Fuel Alternative - Serious Octane Booster - Dyno Proven

Thanks for the info. I get my car in about 2 weeks, and plan on reading the mannual when it arrives! Can't wait, can't sleep, can't eat, just waiting to hug my Sti. My girl friend wanted me to get a 350Z with nice leather interior etc. but I told her they had a lot of problems and that the Sti would be a much more reliable car in the long run. Then she said '' but you don't even get a radio!" I just smiled and said we won't need one. :p

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Never said I could ski. And look at your avatar. Is that representative of YOUR face? :lol:

Anyway, I hope I didn't offend. Let's keep this civil...but I will say that if you're not reading your owner's manual or at least finding out the basic info by just reading the forums, you're gonna get snide comments from the regulars. :wink:

Welcome to the forum :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Some union 76 stations sell high octane gas. I buy 100 unleaded here in Phoenix. Mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with 91 octane gives me 95.5 octane. The only bad thing is the $4.90 a gallon price.

·
Registered
307 Posts
How much Octane

I have used regular fuel and added v/p motorsport 103 to bring the octaine back up, I was finding the quality of the fuel depended on how long it has been sitting in the tanks at the station, regular is always fresh they fill once a week , one station manager said they never have there premium tanks full ,they just add every few months, so you have to find stations with high traffic on premium :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts