IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I drive and Integra with an aftermarket exhaust, and it seems to attract a lot of people who want to race or somehow think that b\c I have an exhaust that I want to race. It drives me nuts! I cant stand it when I have ricers and rednecks pull up beside me and either rev their engine or stare at me, when I am minding my own business. I have raced one person that I didn't know at a light in the 6 years that I have owned my car. I definitely don't go out looking for people to race, and I like to keep to myself on the road. So I guess my question is do you guys encounter this on a regular basis, I can only guess that you do considering the looks and the hype of the Sti. I know it will attract some attention but is it out of control? I want one so bad though!! Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've only had mine a week, but it attracts a LOT of attention from what I can tell. It seems every ricer and their brother wants to run you, and I even have the occasional muscle car, and even oddball stuff - like some guy in a minivan that wanted to run me.. LOL.

Had two guys leapfrogging me on the freeway in rush hour, even...an Audi TT and a VW GTI.. like they were trying to get me to bite. Like I'm gonna run someone in heavy traffic.. Oh yeah, I have a death wish.

It's pretty apparent a lot of people have heard about the car and recognize them when they see them, and becomes some big conquest for them... I mean, would you rather say you smoked an Integra, or that you smoked and STi.

I just ignore them, myself... but it does attract a lot more attention than most of the cars I've owned.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I get lots of attention. Usually when going somewhere, and not wanting to be bothered, some douschebag will get next to me when rolling or at a light and start revving like mad with a huge, toothless grin on his face. That or they take off like a bat outta hell from the light to try and show me up or I get tailgated like crazy, cut off in order to view the wonderful ricer hazard lights or run off the road. People seem to think I'm going to act like a ricer or something and so strike preemptively. It's really annoying but I still love my car and enjoy driving it since I've learned to deal with those people or to avoid them completely.

RN

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
You do get people tailgating a lot, or trying to race you at lights, etc. I personally believe it has less to do with people having heard of the sti than it does people taking exception to the huge wing and/or hoodscoop, kind of like they do now with your exhaust.

Usually, it's not so bad. The worst was an integra tailgating me in the snow then trying to race me when it opened up to two lanes in our direction. The best was a lady in a volvo turbo something or other who wanted to race me at a light to get to the point where her lane ended and merged into mine before I did because I dusted her so bad she probably thought she had it in reverse. I know I did. :lol:

·
Registered
270 Posts
i am having the opposate reaction, i get a lot of people Looking at it and saying "nice car", but no body around here seems to want to race me. *thank god* b/c my right foot has control over my brain.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've had a white and a yellow Integra Type R before my STi, and they both attracted a *LOT* more attention than I get in my STi. That could be because my STi is silver/silver, but it has been a welcome change.

I've also been plesently surprised to find a great response from a much more mature audiance than I would have ever expected.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks

only had the STi a couple of days and I would have to say it seems to attract quite a bit of attention which I really don't like and I'm not used to. I didn' buy the car to draw attention, I bought it because of the performance aspect and I loved my WRX (RIP). I think this car draws much more attention than the WRX did because of 1) of course the large scoop 2) of course the wing and 3) the color WRB vs Aspen white rex. The other night I was crusing around and I saw a car flying up weaving in and out of traffic to catch me. The finally get up to me at a red and it turns out it is a youger oriental couple in a Ford I guess trying to get a look:) :lol: . They had me worried for a min. I guess it will take some getting used to until the "new" wears off the car

·
Registered
198 Posts
I really like the 'thumbs up' I get from the other STi owners in the area (Redmond, WA)...I don't know, kind of makes me feel like part of a 'club' or something. As for people wanting to race me...not really. Only a BMW X5 suv has stared me down at a light and floored it at the green. Of course, I saw the cop at the other side of the intersection and let him scream ~200ft down the road before the cherries came on and pulled him over. It was kind of satisfying.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The STI draws attention plain and simple - be it from the uninformed that only see the wing and the scoop or the enthusiast that knows the car, the history and the specs. I find a fairly high percentage of both want to see what it can do first hand. I had a kid at the local gas station ask to race his cavalier, I told him that I would suck his car in the scoop and spit it out the exhaust. He replied "Yeah I know, just wanted to see how fast those cars actually are." I get a lot of VWs and BMWs nudging me. If the conditions permit, I push it a bit and pull out in front. Generally these guys pull back up, give a thumbs up and thats the end of it. Its a bit annoying but I can understand, I always try to get the Ferraris to rev at F1 weekend in Montreal just to hear that purr. Now if my girlfriend drives, she gets nudged by every kid with an exhaust on the road. She says its such a "pain" cause she always has to dust them :wink:

Peace,
Seth

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i get the occasional thumbs up. sometimes someone will drive by and yell nice ride. however i don't really go out much during the day. my biggest probelm is people getting on my rear bumper or passing me in no passing zones. i'm also often confused with the guy who has a blue 2004 wrx. looks just like mine to the untrained eye.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I get alot of attention in the car, but it doesnt bother me. I kind of would like more people to try and race me. The other day I had a firebird drive by and his licence plate said something on the lines of eatsricers or something like that. cant remember exactly how he had it. but he decided to chicken out instead of giving it a go with me. Me on the other hand I will run anyone win or loose. every person I race wants to stop and talk about the car and tells me how nice it is. and I even have alot of the older more mature crowd really looking at the car telling me its nice and everything. I do not however see police giving me a second look or bothering me at all. I think if the car were to have a loud exhaust then that would really set it off. the wing the scoop and the exhaust all together are just too much for cops. they just have to pick on you then. I love the sound of exhaust and the performance aspect, but I am going to try and do without for as long as I can. I also love the respect you get from people who know what this car is. I get the friendly wave from fellow STi drivers, and that big smile from EVO drivers. even had a guy make in his 50's? driving a turbo 3rd gen RX7 pull up on hte highway and give me a thumbs up. really feels good knowing I am not getting talked about as being a punk ass ricer or whatever.. haha

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm getting moderate attention in my STi. Some stares from passing cars. No attempted races yet, but I did have 1 primered Ford Falcon gun his engine next to me, but then he turned. I also had 1 gentleman back his Volvo up at a light to get next to me and roll his window down. He said, "300hp?". I said, "Yes!". He then asked how I liked it, where I got it and how long I've had it? It was pretty cool having a ~50-60yo old knowing about the car. I know I'll be doing the same thing when I get older :D
My STi definitely doesn't get as much attention as my old Supra w/ a single turbo, full body kit and Ferrari yellow paint! I couldn't get gas w/out ppl coming up to me and asking about the car. I've had ppl take video and still pics of the car while I was driving. I even had a family ask if I could take a pic of them next to the car. LOL.
Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get lots of question and people wanting to see it when I stop at the store or getting gas etc... What most suprises me is the amount of older poeple 50's+ who say how nice of a car it is. As for races everyone seems to pretty much shy away and juse get a look instead. I have had several M3's catch up to me pretty quick on the road but we just look at each other knowing what we both have and end it at that. I am a former 4-Wheeler and have always had a big, high, oversized tire slow truck so I'm happy just being able to maintain highway speeds without having to downshift everytime there is a strong headwind.

Rich

·
Registered
668 Posts
Squeaking Brake

i actually haven't gotten that much attention. the occasional gawker staring out their window on the highway as they pass me. Had one integra rev at me at a stop sign but it was an ancient integra with a bike rack so i don't know what the guy was thinking. another one was tailgating me through some moderate twisty roads and when I turned off to another road he revved real hard as he continued on... but otherwise I haven't had any problems or anything.

·
Registered
326 Posts
New to the forum

Mine used to get attention, like kids yelling "is that a STi is that a STi"
and pepole reving when they drive by.

but now there is like 10 of them in town so no one really pays attention to it. I get the occasinal Accord with fart can exhost try to race me...I normally just smile and ignore them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm getting a few looks but not so many challenges - I'm an older guy (shall we say sixtyish) and I guess they think it would be like taking on paw-paw. I do get some appraising stares from guys around my own age. I don't know if they're thinking "Hey, he did it" or just "That old fool!"

BTW I was just about to get a Denali to replace my old Ranger when I noticed an article on the STi. Two weeks later I had one. Ten or twelve years ago I had a Mits Eclipse GSX so the STi wasn't as extreme a transition as it could have been.

I'm having a blast - C'mon you older dudes, do it!

·
Registered
350 Posts
A lot of people give me "nice car" comments, but not too many want to race. I guess they know they would get smoked. I did tried to race an old style mustang GT with pilar gauges and a very loud exhaust, and the guy just smiled and said "No way!".

-dp

1 - 20 of 27 Posts