IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't have a garage and I have been parking the STi out in the driveway exposed to the elements. I am slightly concerned this might affect the finish. I have been thinking about a car cover but I was concerned it might rub on the finish and cause damage. Any input? :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had to park one of my cars outside for awhile and used a cover. The wind buffeting the cover rubbed through the paint on some of the edges. The corners of the wing on the STi would be a prime candidate for this. I recommend NOT using a cover when parking outside.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Nope, no parking in a driveway...I've had two of my previously heavily modified Mustangs broken into with thousands of dollars of damage and theft incurred, so now, it's in the garage every night with the car doors locked. I am ultra parnoid now. 1970 qsx, very sweet on your '87 GN...by far, without a doubt, one of the most awesome cars of all times....a dream car of mine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
whiplash306 said:
Nope, no parking in a driveway...I've had two of my previously heavily modified Mustangs broken into with thousands of dollars of damage and theft incurred, so now, it's in the garage every night with the car doors locked. I am ultra parnoid now. 1970 qsx, very sweet on your '87 GN...by far, without a doubt, one of the most awesome cars of all times....a dream car of mine.
Yay, have to love the typical low-life scum who break into cars. I keep mine in the garage for the very same reason....freaking domestic terrorism.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had the glove box inspector come by when I was on a business trip last November. Must have not set the door locks. Nothing stolen. Just a pawing. Was a good thing. The SOB now knows that there is nothing to steal! Trashed the paint on my old car with a cover out side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is garage kept (the wife's Jeep Libby got booted to the driveway). Heck, I don't even drive mine in the rain and I live just outside of Seattle!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I park my car in the driveway next to my wife's WRX. I went ahead and increased my insurance to cover my stereo and any other vandalism. I'm not really worried because if something happens then I will call my insurance. I know it will be a pain in the ass but I really don't have much choice.

I turned my garage into a workout gym and have no room for the car. I recently had some plans drawn up to remodel the house. I will eventually make the room when I get some more money. I recently went to Home Expo and saw a book on garages. The book was awesome. I want to build a garage worthy to be added to that book!

Besides my car there are also BMWs, Mercedes and Expeditions parked outside along my street and in the neighborhood. I really don't see why someone would want to come break into my car when they have more expensive cars to choose from nearby.

Plus it’s only a car! I like my car but am not in love with it. The only thing I love at my house is my wife and kid. Everything else can be replaced if it gets stolen. Needless to say if I catch anybody breaking into my car they better be able to outrun a bullet! :lol:

I really don't see how so many people baby their cars on this forum. I have driven my car like I stole it the moment it came off the lot. I have never tried to "break" it "in" and have let numerous friends drive my car. The only thing I will not do is wash it in a drive thru car wash. I wouldn’t take my neighbors POS thru one of those horrors.

I guess I'm just naive or plan ole stupid. To me the STi is a great car that needs to be driven hard like any Subaru. Remember for years the image of Subaru was on par with Volvo for ruggedness. I try not to forget the STi is still just a tough ass Subaru.

Now when I get my Porsche 911 Cabriolet Turbo, Audi RS6 or "New" Ford GT/Cobra then it will go into the garage and the exercise equipment be damned. Since it doesn’t look like I will be make one of those purchases for some time I don’t have to worry.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Garage, every night. I spend an extra $100 a month for one at my apartment complex. . . and it's worth every penny.

(I also store some things out there, too. . . as well as perform mods and general maint. So it's really a prerequisite for me.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually have a garage. It's just full of junk and the door is broken. I guess I should clean the thing out. I would make a good guess I could get ride of $500 worth of junk and put my in $30,000 worth of car!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
No garage for me, but I am anal about my car being clean so that always helps.

-Matt

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
very cool

voodue said:
I really don't see how so many people baby their cars on this forum. I have driven my car like I stole it the moment it came off the lot. I have never tried to "break" it "in" and have let numerous friends drive my car. The only thing I will not do is wash it in a drive thru car wash. I wouldn’t take my neighbors POS thru one of those horrors.

I guess I'm just naive or plan ole stupid. To me the STi is a great car that needs to be driven hard like any Subaru. Remember for years the image of Subaru was on par with Volvo for ruggedness. I try not to forget the STi is still just a tough ass Subaru.
It's still almost a $30k investment, and one that needs to last and look nice and yet still provide a lot of fun. I drive it hard occasionally, but carefully. IOW, quickly but smoothly. No slamming shifts, no yanking the e-brake, no redlining. I have driven it very hard without abusing it. And I do accelerate hard quite a lot. I just shift at 6500 rpm and make clean gear changes.

As for the garage thing, I definitely do. I want the paint to still look good miles and months from now, and I don't want people damaging or stealing it. It may only be a subaru, but it does attract more attention than the average outback or legacy or forester. And having insurance dole out money to replace or repair it will only result in increased insurance rates.

Yes, it's just a car and should not replace or edge out more important concerns in life. But there is still some benefit to taking care of one's possessions, especially fairly expensive ones.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i do not keep my car in a garage. i have'nt washed it since winter started, although i did house it off on day when the temp hit 35degrees. this car was meant for one thing...to be driven. there is no point in labeling the STi as sacred. no point in babying it, hoping that it will last forever. as far as theft? well, i'm not all that worried on that front either. granted i don't live in a high crime area, but i think everyone is forgetting something...the STi is still a Subaru!!!!! the AWD models are very complex and there is'nt really a big demand for Subaru parts in the "illegal" aftermarket. maybe i'm wrong and oneday i'll be posting that my car got ripped off, who knows? chances are any would be thief would end up killing himself anyhow, completely underestimating the STi and putting it into a tree when he hammers the gas. besides, if someone wants something you have that bad, he'll get it one way or another.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
Yes, it's just a car and should not replace or edge out more important concerns in life. But there is still some benefit to taking care of one's possessions, especially fairly expensive ones.
Very well put... :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
hell no.
I'm not trying to be a snob or anything, but owning a place with a garage was a higher priority to me then owning an STi. I would have not gotten my car if I did not already own my house/garage

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mine sits out in the rain snow ice.. dirt whatever... it looks like hell this winter because if I wash it it just gets filthy 5 minutes after driving it.

My new place has a garage so i'll probably start parking it in there. but really the weather doesnt seem to affect it if I clean it it still looks brand new.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
while i did say that i don't park my car in a garage, i have no problem with anyone who does. its the guys who wash and polish thier cars all day long and never drive them that bother me. when you own a car like the STi and all that you do is worry about it lasting forever you miss out on the fun of actually driving it. but let me add that there is nothing worse than wrenching out in the elements on less than perfect days.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts