IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, i'm 22 looking for sti and i'd like to ask you how many of you test drove the car before buying, i love the car, and here in Toronto i cannot find a car to test drive... i love evrything about it but i cannot buy it untill i find out how does it drive.... i need a car for everyday driving, i like to drive cars hard...it's gonnna be first japaneese car for me right now i'm driving ML55 AMG it's not mine kinda family car everyone uses it, and now i'm looking forward to pick up Sti, it's not that expensive and good performer!!

Also can i ask you what do you think of used sti is it a good step to buy one used maybe with 6000 kms i saw few cars on trader with upgrades and it's cheaper on tax and stuff.

Thanks, been surfing this board for a while finally registred!!!!

P.s dont mind my grammar English is my seconf language, i'm working on it.:)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I test drove the car I bought. The first time I went to the dealer (end of May 03), they said no test drives (I wasn't really looking to buy at the time anyway, just wanted to check it out for future reference :D ). The second time I went (July), I told the salesman that I was now very interested in the STi. He said something like, "I didn't think I'd see you back here so soon". So, he let me go for a test drive. I bought the car the next day.

On another note, our Mitsu dealer still isn't letting any EVO test drives, and they are still asking for MSRP +$5000 (at least they were when I was there in December). Not that I'm bitter or anything :evil:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Re: Almost lost it at 130++......

I test drove, the car was brand new and still had the white protective sheets on it. I was a little apprehensive about driving a car that hadn't had the PDI done yet, so I asked if there was another. He took the car over to the service department and then returned, declaring it was good to go. We went for a nice, easy, slow drive as neither he nor I wanted to bash on a brand new car I wasn't sure I was buying. The car had 7 miles on it.

When I returned to buy it, it had an additional 7 miles on it. I *hope* they were as easy as the miles I put on it, but I will never know. So far the car has been great. I was a little nervous as I traded in a vehicle we both loved for one that I had not tested under "normal" or even spirited driving conditions and all I knew was that it seemed very cramped and noisy by comparison to my previous vehicle. Of course now I love my car and every time I get into the turbo or find some twisty sections of road, I can't quit grinning from ear to ear.

Just be aware that unless they have a car for you to beat on, getting a test drive might not do more than show you if you like the looks, interior, seating position, etc. I feel bad whenever I hear of someone beating on a new one at the dealers, knowing someone else might wind up buying that car and being told it wasn't thrashed on. Find someone near you who owns one that will take you for a ride if you can. That's the best way to experience some of the fun factor for yourself. :)

Used might be a good way to go if you get a good feel for how the owner took care of their car and if it is several thousand $ cheaper than a new one.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I test drove the STi, but I knew I already wanted it, and the dealer had a good idea that I was serious b/c i had been in contact with them a couple times. I was in test driving a WRX with a friend and asked if I could drive an STi. They said no but that I was welcome to test drive the WRX with my friend. Then, they pulled the WRX up and when I got in the salesman said "you don't need to test drive this, we'll get you into an STi."

·
Registered
759 Posts
I was comitted mentally before I drove it. I drove it from one dealer to another{22 miles I think}. It was pouring rain at the time but I loved it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I bought the car after test driving the Evo, I totally knew the Evo wasnt for me and everything i have read made it sound like the STi was for me, so I bought it before I test drove it, I guess being on this forum and reading about people's experiences on some of the early delivery people, I knew the STi was for me.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I had one ride and one test drive. The ride was in a dealer employee's car. The drive was in a car off the lot. Six weeks or so apart.

I did not make any kind of committment to by the car, but I did tell the dealer that if I chose to buy an STi, I would buy it from him. He understood that I was serious about buying a car in the next year.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I put a 1K deposit down for my black/silver on 1/12/03 and went to pick her up in mid-July. My test drive was from the dealers lot over to the detailing area (approx. 100 yards give or take). I KNEW as soon as I started it and nudged her forward the car was mine....pretty much the past 6months have been one long test drive....and I'm still grinning like a fool. But I too knew from reading that this was the car I'd been waiting so patiently for....just sorta felt it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went for a test drive on a whim, I was NOT going to buy it. I told the sales rep that I might be interested in a month or two and he said it wasnt a problem. He then drove the balls off the car :D At somepoint when either I was suffering from whiplash, or having my face mashed against the passanger window I decided i had to have one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a dealer put me on a waiting list in Apr of 03. At the end of September they called me to confirm the options and color since the car was at the port. Before I gave them my check, I told them I needed to test drive and if I happened not to like it, I would not be obligated to buy. The dealer agreed and the salesman came along during the test drive. Since the salesman was next to me, I did not want to drive hard and all that. But I got the feel of the car, at least it fitted me ergonomically.

I realized how great the car was after I drove it off the lot and onto the freeway. At that moment I was saying to myself, "Man, this car is fast", "This car rocks."

I did test drove an EVO before the STI was officially released. EVO is also a great car. But I like the STI as a great daily driver. EVO is kinda harsh ride for me and the STI fits me better with its height adjustable seat.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well, I sort of had a test drive before I bought it... LOL. The car was actually as good as mine when I first drove it... all I had to do is sign on the line when I came back and it was my car.

Didn't take long to make that decision.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I test drove back in October 2003. Looking forward to bring the new BEAST home in about 6 weeks.

M

·
0 Posts
I test drove an Evo and got a ride in an STi, and it was clear immediately which one appealed to my personal tastes. But, I would have been super happy to get an STi without even having ridden in one, just based on the opinions I saw in this forums beforehand.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
A fun little game...

VLaDimir said:
I'm new here, i'm 22 looking for sti and i'd like to ask you how many of you test drove the car before buying, i love the car, and here in Toronto i cannot find a car to test drive... i love evrything about it but i cannot buy it untill i find out how does it drive.... i need a car for everyday driving, i like to drive cars hard...it's gonnna be first japaneese car for me right now i'm driving ML55 AMG it's not mine kinda family car everyone uses it, and now i'm looking forward to pick up Sti, it's not that expensive and good performer!!

Also can i ask you what do you think of used sti is it a good step to buy one used maybe with 6000 kms i saw few cars on trader with upgrades and it's cheaper on tax and stuff.

Thanks, been surfing this board for a while finally registred!!!!

P.s dont mind my grammar English is my seconf language, i'm working on it.:)
Definitely test drive it, I did just to get a feel for the handling, ride, cockpit, etc. You really can't feel any of the true power until after 1k miles. I would also advise you to show up driving the AMG to avoid any issues with the dealer not wanting to give a test drive.

I wouldn't buy one used if you can afford one new.

-st

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Re: Adjustable Stock Rear Swaybar Modification

I test drove, even though I wasn't expecting to be allowed to. I'd driven a friend's Evo before that, and really liked it, but it didn't grab me like the STi did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Boost Gauge installed-Low readings?

Since first week of December 2003 I have test drove over 3 Sti's and 4 Evo's putting over 125 miles on the Sti and over 200 on the Evo's I even went the distance to go drive these cars once in the rain once in the snow and on a 60 degree dry sunny day. This is why it took me so long to buy one. and the STi won me over by and far with its superior build quality, long running reliability, better resale. and when the computer is hacked it will surpass the Evo in the amount of horspower that can be gained. Pluss the Sti gets twice the looks in the tuner car world.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have bought two cars without test driving them first. Both were AWD turbos. The first was a 1991 Mits GSX. I drove it off the lot at 10:30 pm new year's eve after a week's intense negotiations. Both the salesman and I were tired and he said "If you don't like it we'll take it back." It was a fast, mean-looking car and the problems I later had with it would not have shown up on a test drive anyway.

The second was my STi. I had ridden in one and done a lot of research on it and I have absolutely ZERO regrets.

I don't care if you are a professional reviewer or an ordinary driver, you can't tell what a great car the STi is in one short drive anyway.

Still, I can't recommend my approach, test drive if you possibly can...

BTW VLaDimir, your English is very good!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts