IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stage 3 turbo from dealership

I couldn't find anything in the owners manual that stated when you should change your oil during the break-in period.
The Dealer has a sticker in the window showing next service to be at 3000 miles. It seems odd to me that you would wait 3000 miles for the first oil change?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did my first one at around 3600 miles and switched to synthetic Mobil 1.

-d

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
3000 is normal. you can get one whenever you want. i read that one guy is cutting all the services in half. instead of 3000 he's goin every 1500.cause he is buildin the hell out of his engine. the only reason to get one early would be to check for metal bits/shrapnel,that would tell you if something was wrong with the engine install. after 6k-9k i'm goin to synthetic and gettin one every 3k. but with synthetic you don't have to get one until 5k.
just think how you drive the car,do what you want to

·
Registered
350 Posts
You mean with synthetic you replace it every 5K miles? I had synthetic on my 02 WRX, and after 3K miles the oil was black and thicker, so I always replaced it after 3K miles.

-d

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
manufacturers suggestion. that's all i can say. you and me know better. in japan they've got all different classes of oils for turbo,na,diesel,rotary,v-motors,, you name it. don't know if we got all that. will investigate around time i change over. so as to get the best "turbo friendly" oil.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to change your oil earlier than 3000 miles.
i have to disagree with you on this one. i have less than 2500 miles on my STi and its already had 2 oil changes. the general rule of thumb is 3000 miles or every 3 months. i drive my Sti everyday to work which is only a few miles. this is a surefire way to require frequent oil changes. it also depends on how you drive. if your racing every weekend you're sure as heck going to want to change your oil more often or if you drive in a really dirty climate you'll want to change it more often as well. a good way to tell how your oil is doing is to just look at it when you check your oil. if it looks black on the paper towel its probably overdue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Pics of exhaust

I called Subaru of America with that question, according to them change oil at 3000 mi, no sooner. They told me the original oil in the car has a certain additives to aid the break-in, thus change oil @3000 mi.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree with D.D. I had an RSX and Acura also puts an additive in the oil from the factory. The mechanic at Acura said that was common paractice of most manufacturers. I will not change mine until 3000.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I did mine at around 1250, after break in and after I'd romped on it good a few times. FWIW my oil looked very clean coming out. Interestingly there is a baffle behind the drain plug... not sure what that's intended for. Seems like it would tend to retain crud.

Honestly, I don't think this is that big a deal. I wanted to see if there was going to be wear-in crud in the oil and if so, get it out.

Regarding the synthetic change, I was thinking 5K or so, but what's up with this: http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5805 ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
some guys change their oil every 300-600 feet..... see pic below. lol

·
Registered
668 Posts
D.D. said:
I called Subaru of America with that question, according to them change oil at 3000 mi, no sooner. They told me the original oil in the car has a certain additives to aid the break-in, thus change oil @3000 mi.
That's funny b/c SOA has also told people that there are NO special additives in the oil and that seems to be the concensus over at NASIOC....

Even the Honda techs aren't so sure whether there's additives or not... some honda dealers say there are, some say there aren't...

Maybe those special "additives" are the metal shaving that came off the engine before the first oil change. :wink:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
if i waited 3000 miles to get an oil change i still would'nt have gotten one even though i have driven my car for over 6 months. can you imagine what my oil would look like after 6 months? i'd have a pan full of tar and more than likely a blown motor. like i said earlier, i have a commute of about 4 miles both ways 6 days a week. since the distance is so short my engine never gets into the optimal temperture zone so any condensation that builds up in the engine never gets a chance to burn off. after about 1000 miles my oil was well past the ideal time to get it changed. i'm switching to synthetic the next time i get an oil change, which even my technician gave me the ok for. the only real limitation is to how often you want to change your oil is how much money you have. you could change your oil everyday and have no mechanical problems but less dollars in the wallet for sure.

·
Registered
535 Posts
917 for me
figured id do it after the 1k break-in
i come from motorcycles so i figure there is junk in the oil and i want it out

as far as additives
what would they be, to help break-in? sand?
anyway i havent heard an intellegent reason for it so call me sceptical

i think i will wait to go to full syn or hp oil until i have at least 5k maybe more like 10k
again with mcs you invite high oil consumption by using botuque oils too soon

i know, i know its not a mc
i choos to err on the side of caution

·
Registered
216 Posts
i have a commute of about 4 miles both ways 6 days a week. since the distance is so short my engine never gets into the optimal temperture zone
Wow. I live 2 miles from work, well, it was 2 miles before I got the STi. No, I didn't move. It just takes about 10-16 miles to get to work now depending on which way I turn out of the driveway. The dang car just can't seem to take the shortest route to work!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
surlysinglespeed said:
as far as additives
what would they be, to help break-in? sand?
anyway i havent heard an intellegent reason for it so call me sceptical

There are certain chemical compounds that have an effect on engine components.... for example, there are certain chemicals that prevent oxidation (rust) inside your engine. I think these compounds are used in all engine oil except that used by racing teams, however. (their engines don't have to last very long....)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts