Votes: 31 39.2%
  • Stage 2 is enough for me

Votes: 16 20.3%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the stage of upgrading my turbo and I was wondering how many others have gone with a bigger turbo. It seems like I am reading about more and more lately. So how many people have an upgraded turbo, and why did you upgrade. Thanks.

·
Registered
894 Posts
i have stage 2. That is enough for me right now. My STI is my DD so I want as much reliability w/ it as possible. I plan to drive this car til its paid off and then some. That is well over 100k miles on it. I have a feeling if I upgrade the turbo I will have to fix or maintain a lot more parts until that point

·
Registered
803 Posts
any car is reliable, depends how you drive it. I drive mine like a granny so far, so ive got over 1000 miles on it

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
GT30R all the way!!!:tup:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm about to go from a VF39 to a Deadbolt TD06-20G. I"ll tell you how I like it in a week or two !

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
5k miles on my 35R setup and it hasn't blown up yet :scurred:

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
18G waiting to be installed, wanted a little more power than what the vf39 is capable of, but nothing too crazy ;) it's my daily driver and commuter.

J.

·
Registered
969 Posts
jph said:
18G waiting to be installed, wanted a little more power than what the vf39 is capable of, but nothing too crazy ;) it's my daily driver and commuter.

J.
Post up your results when you get that all together and tuned. I am curious what a td06 18g will do on an STi. Did you get the td05 or td06?

·
Registered
890 Posts
30R here, ~3K miles and ~3 months without a problem (knock on wood) on the stock block and clutch. I drive pretty easy though.

·
Registered
833 Posts
stage 2 good for me fastest car i have ever had, when this car becomes just a toy then big turbo here i come:D

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I'm focusing on the suspension, brakes, and chassis. I'm going to run the VF39 until it melts, then I'll probably replace it with an 18g. But that's only if I decide that I don't want to go all out with a twin scroll ball bearing setup.

I only want about 350 whp.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
TIMELESS said:
That is what you say now untill you've experienced the sweet taste of big boost...yum :lol:
Maybe, but I've driven cars with big turbos. The ones that spool slow and late, but hit like a freight train, and I feel that I can safely say that it's not my thing.

I guess I still have it stuck in my head that 12's in the 1/4 is retarded fast for a day to day street car. It's a blessing that I could go with an 18G, have a low 12 second car on pump gas, and still retain close to stock reliability.

I think I'd rather just be one of those guys who "oooh's" and "aaaaah's" over sweet timeslips and great dyno sheets than actually be one of the guys who has to deal with the car that produced them. :lol:

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
There's nothing like spanking pretty much anything that pulls up next to you. Or everything so far in my case...;)
FP Red/Meth and had it for about 5000 miles on the stock internals and clutch. Zero issues mechanically.:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
gt30r w/82 trim and all of the good goodies including custom blow through mafs! 467awhp and 422tq on 110 leaded vp race fuel. grocery store map on 91oct is 379awhp and 366tq. when the block goes... cosworth and gt35 upgrade. its so frickin addicting!!!! what ever you go with, the key to proper function is a great tune!!!! good luck!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts