IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little Holiday cheer, discuss

Future owner question here.

In relation to the post "EJ25 gets one of the 10 best engines award".

If I perform all schedule maintenance, don't abuse it alot and change the oil on time (synthetic), how long do you think this motor will last?

I was hoping 200,000-250,000 miles, is this realistic?

Please keep in mind this is going to be a weekend car for the first 4-5 years.

Alot of people claim boosted engines don't last as long, but I know this engine was solely built to handle boost and I'm not going to modify it.

I keep my cars for a long time and it's great when they last.

Thank you,

Peleg.

·
Registered
949 Posts
a weekend car for 5 years and getting 200+k miles out of it.
you should worry about wether or not YOU are going to last that long! :eek:

·
Registered
170 Posts
first off.. not abusing it, and using it as a weekend car.. its going to last probably 300K miles or better, I belive there are sleves in the cylinders, and when they are ruined.. you replace them if im not wrong here.. Tractor trailers have sleeves too and thats why they last up to a million miles. you take the sleves out and slide new ones in, and presto motor is like new, so on the real before you wear aout any kind of sleves and the motor wants to die.. youre going to see at LEAST 250K miles, maybe 300K and at that .. if you have the loot to replace parts.. your motor isnt going to die untill you do. Cars that are treated right, treat you right unless the ECU malfunctions and ruins the car. We had a old ford car with over 300K miles cuz it was treated well, if a ford can last that long.. your subie will smoke that for lunch. ~ Brett

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for responding and helping me out. You guys are awesome, can't wait to get my car already....

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't mind at all.

My everyday car is a modified Acura Integra. I've been commuting with it for the past 3 years.

·
Registered
170 Posts
nice nice, Then yeah man.. I really think your sti is definitly not going to die ever .. Seriously subaru's have een known to hit half million miles when treated right .. maybe even more? im not sure.. but you'll be thrilled with the car, i took a test drivre beforee I sold me reserve and it was quite thrilling, nothing like boost .. it's to addictive. :)

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first choice was a Nissan 350Z Track edition, after 10 seconds of driving the STi, I was sold and forgot all about the Z.

Nothing like boost! psssssssssssssssssttttttt....hehe.

·
Registered
170 Posts
LOL YEAH hehe, altho i cant have my Sti the baja turbo im going to build will be just as fun, and a little more useful to me because i need some cargo space for car parts, and .. you know just moving things in general, but i cant live with out turbo

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember reading about the STi and the Evo when the Evo was about to come out. I was trying to imagine who those cars would be until I saw the Evo. I was behind one and he just punched it and all I heard was psssssssssstttttttt , GONE. I thought to myself "so that's that Evo car eh...interesting"

A co-worker of mine is a die hard fan of turbos, and although he's going to buy an SUV, he started telling me about turbos and how his friend got a 450 hp RX-7 TT etc etc.

The more I started thinking about it, the more I wanted to test drive those cars.

I'm glad I test drove the STi.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm Glad you did to, because subaru has prooven it self to be a straight hard core car company by putting this car you own today in the world rally events, and not just entering it, but conquering it time and time again.. I mean any car that can go from 25 - 120 MPH, 500 different times in one day, braking every half a second or so in turns, has a transmission that can handle the abuse of stop and go constantly, and hard acceleration, neutral drops out of the hole, and .. a suspension thats been prooven to keep the car on all 4's for the most part.. definitly inspired one hell of a great ride.. I dont know to much about the differences in the Two cars the WR car and the Sti, but I knowthere are many how eer.. im saying I think you made the best choice simply by picking subaru .. The more research i do about their technology and durability.. the more impressed i am with the cars.. I may not buy any other New car again other thne subaru if thye contine to make such great cars! and maybe .. just maybe one day ill get to own an Sti as well

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You made alot of good points. I was born in Israel where Subaru is just huge, they don't have the WRX turbo or STi in there, but mostly European models. I'm sure if you have the $$$$ you can import one.

My uncle (father's younger brother) has been a mechanic for 20 years and he's a huge fan of Subaru. He's got an Outback. He said they are great cars, although he's not familiar with the USDM models.

My father was a bit skeptical about the STi at first. He defintly crossed out the Evo. Not that he's paying for it, but he warned me to do the research since I'm about to shell a huge amount of money. I gave up on the Evo because the interior sucked, the engine is smaller and I heard some bad things about Mitsu cars.

I went to the Subaru dealer and requested to test drive the STi, the dealer didn't have any and said they don't let anyone test drive them. My father said: well their dealers don't make a good impression, you better do some more research or find a better dealer because you want to get good service with this car.

I almost gave up on the idea until Car & Driver replied the Episode of their Rally car test (STi vs. Evo), it was a Saturday, nice sunny day and I was bored so I started calling dealers, the second dealer I called agreed and I was there in an hour and that's how the whole thing started.

Like I said, 10 seconds of driving I was sold. I could have taken her home that day, but I have school loans so I decided to wait and same more money and play it safe.

I called my father and said: Look, I know you really want me to get the 350Z, but this car is something different, I don't know how they do it or who designed it, but we got something good here, I can tell just by my instincts. He said, let me sleep on this for a while. A few days later he said, well financially you're getting a way better deal. Your payments are lower, your insurance will be lower as well.

Lately he saw a few regular WRX turbo and said he kept on seeing more and more of them.

I remember when I was 18 and wanted a Mustang GT and it didn't work, I guess it wasn't the car and wasn't the time, I remember how disappointed I was.

Now I'm 24, almost done with school, got a steady job and about 3 years experience with my Integra so I feel this is the right time to make the STi happen.

·
Registered
170 Posts
*big ass smile here* *just to stay on the topic for a second, I had to also add that using correct oil, at proper intervals will also increase the longevity of your behicles* <-- we all know this.. but im saying it just so it looks like this post still has a purpose hehe,.. So as i was going to say, Out of all your choices.. I'd definitly have to go for the Sti anyway.. I mean the 350Z is tempting.. But For that matter I'd probably pick the I-G35 Coupe because that was my in terest after I almost gave up on the Sti.. As for the Evo, Wel I counted that out as soon as I saw them paint it yellow red, blue stolen from subaru lol, and black .. all colors high on insurance specificaly aimed at the teenage target market.. they knew the flashy colors would attract police more often then not.. The Sti how rever coming in white, silver, black, and blue.. i belive only doesnt tend to draw as much negative attention.

To me.. thats important because Thats a more adult approach to trying to sell a car, probably aimed at age bracket 22-30 more thne likely. Where as the Evo colors scream ages 16-21 when everyones just in high school - beginning college not very mature yet trying to impress people with colors .. that in turn only start costing them a lot of $ on insurance and speedin tickets.

I know this is only my opinion, but that seems to be what the deal is in my eyes.. I wish I didnt sell my reserve for my Blue Sti.. but Nows not the time for me to have that car as I'm a business/fun guy .. I always need the space to drag around either something as big as desk, or as small as a box of oil quarts.. reguardless of what i have I dont want to put it in the beautiful interior of the Sti .. and mess up that amazing fabric. The Baja turbo is my replacement because Its got the same motor, detuned therefor i can simply use most of the same aftermarker performance parts for easy tuning. One other main point for wanting to buy it was the 4 doors on a truck.. that doesnt cost 40 -60K like the avalanche, or the Escalade.. To big for me I come from Central Jersey my tastes are bases on sports compact and mid sized cars so this sedan/truck + turbo = Suits me best for this time in life. I'm considering investing in a turbo Supra between years 1993.5-1998 For a real weekend car as i would like my baja to be my every day car.. one problem I'm having is choosing a color because none of them amuse me.. I read in one article on the car the "raiders" colors seem to be most popular *black and dark silver* but .. im leaning towards that not because its trendy but because its better thne the gross maroon looking red or the mixing and matchin g of silvers and whites which dont look right in my eyes. ok ok i type to much.. im gonna relax for now, enjoy :) ~ Brett

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's an interesting marketing strategy as most 16 yr olds can't afford such a car anyways.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
inSTIgate said:
I'm Glad you did to, because subaru has prooven it self to be a straight hard core car company by putting this car you own today in the world rally events, and not just entering it, but conquering it time and time again.. I mean any car that can go from 25 - 120 MPH, 500 different times in one day, braking every half a second or so in turns, has a transmission that can handle the abuse of stop and go constantly, and hard acceleration, neutral drops out of the hole, and ..
Just to set the record straight, the SWRT cars don't use the 6MT, they use a fabulously expensive (~$100k) Prodrive sequential tranny that's rebuilt after every race, I think. The suspension is also different from the stock STi. See:

http://www.swrt.com/35035.html

That said, the 6MT seems to be about ten times better than the 5MT. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
lol, oh i knew it was expensive and not the same, but i was just saying its viscious.. and oh yeah peleg, about the 16 yr olds buying a yellow or red mitsu evo 8.. well thats not them , its their parents... unfortunatly 16 yr olds are allowed to drive in somestaes, which is rediculous because when i was 16 i thought i was invincible.. hence the driving deaths in the SRT-4 also aimed at teenage market .. every week i see a new SRT-4 wreck, but only one fatality.. lucky bastards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts