IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it feel stable and planted at speeds over 70MPH?

Does the car wonder under heavy breaking? Anyone have links to 60-0 tests?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
handling is solid at 125 mph. the rear wing just plants the car to the ground and as the engine becomes a beast and howls! braking is phenomenal as well, but i've not done any 60-0 tests. my brakes usually need to warmed up a little to feel sharp.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
t00h0t said:

Thanks!
The car is totally stable at speed. The only thing to watch out for is that it will understeer when you apply power in a high speed turn. Conversely, it will oversteer if you apply power and then lift off quickly.

On braking it tracks totally straight. I actually have just as much fun braking as accelerating in this car : )

-st

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! Still trying to find a dealership to let me test drive one. Both in my area get one a month and they are sold the day they get them. Problem is I am not ready to get one yet... Still in the process of getting rid of my current car (M3). I couldn't even test drive an M3 before I got mine. Thanks again!

·
Registered
113 Posts
The car feels solid and stable. By the way, which M3 do you currently own? The 333-hp version or the 240-hp version? If you own the 333-hp one, how do you compare it with the STI? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Thorn said:
t00h0t said:
Still trying to find a dealership to let me test drive one.
Good luck on the test drive. They wouldn't let me drive it until I gave gave them a down payment.
ya I totally agree with that idea tho... there are like 9 evos at the mitsubishi dealership and I see a different one every day being "test driven" and being racked out like mad. I'd kill someone if I knew they were driving the #### out of my car before I bought it. Least now you know the break in process is ALL you.

Robert~

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an 02, 333hp version. From the performance numbers though the STi seems right there... Thats why I am considering it and why I want a test drive. I refuse to spend a ton of money on a car again, it was a waste, worth it but a waste. I think the STi will be more fun to drive. The M3 is a very heavy car and it handles like it. I have more fun with a car that I can toss around....

·
Registered
422 Posts
110 mph on a ski area access road at 8,000'. Not exactly straight, but the car felt perfectly stable. (Closed course. Legal Solo I racing.) Also 120 mph on Victory blvd and they were using the chicane. Dynamite the brakes and turn right HARD! (PIR track day.)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
60-0 in 110 feet. the only thing that beat it was the porsche 911 turbo. by about 2 feet. these results were printed in either motor trend or car and driver. i can't remember which.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not sure about the stability at 145mph with AWD. I was a bit nervous during lanes changes at this speed going against another WRX. I've been at higher speeds with a RWD (Z06) and the experience was quite different.

The other day I was cruising at 80mph and as I was making a one lane change to the right, I WOT the baby and I felt the car lost control for a quick sec, but corrected itself. As anyone experienced this behavior?

·
Registered
316 Posts
t00h0t said:

Thanks!
I have not noticed the car wander at high speed braking. I mostly use mine for 20-70-20 mph on the dirt roads of New Mexico. Lots of acceleration, hard braking and sliding into turns. --Sin52

·
Registered
119 Posts
The highways in NJ are a pain lately with a lot of construction, but since I work weekends and they don't when I come home I take them and can 'play' with the car. Quicksoak when you say 'lost control' are you talking about the fact that when punching it the car took off and then the computer adjusted steering or are you talking about engine loss. Because I play alot in the 75-90 range (Valentine 1 turned on) and have not noticed any power flucuations. But you better be holding onto the wheel with both hands or that 'puppy' will take off where it wants to go with a WOT and a light hand on the steering wheel. SFRinNJ

1 - 20 of 28 Posts