IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
minor forum problem: no long able to look at my old posts

I am really seriously considering buying an STI. The price quotes I have been getting are too good to pass up. The problem is that the closest dealer to me is 35 miles away, and that dealer only has one STI, and it is in their showroom. So no test drives. The next closest ones are all up around the Washington D.C. Beltway, and are 50+ miles away.
I have an '02 WRX now, and I would like to know how much harder the ride is than the regular WRX.
Anybody?

·
Registered
271 Posts
The ride is not bad. There is room for improvement, but I would say all in all it is pretty good though a bit stiff. This makes the car an extreme joy to drive at higher speeds since it will be more stable than a car that is less stiff. The real craving to own an STI will come after you have gotten the opportunity to sit in or drive an STI. You will become power hungry in ways you did not think possible, you will dream in 256 colors, and you will only wish those dreams would never end. Ok, a bit far out, but get a ride in one as soon as possible. Look for members in your area, and I promise you that you too can fall in love with a four door sedan with 300 hp 300 lbs of torque in less than 13.1 seconds or a quarter mile, whichever you like to you use as your yardstack. And if you are canyon guy, well, all it takes is about three or four turns in the twisties before you realize how insane the power curve is in these cars. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Red02 said:
The problem is that the closest dealer to me is 35 miles away...
Geez, you East Coast guys have no concept of distance! Just go get it man! 35-50 miles is nothing, I promise, and imagine the drive back... :D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Clear Washer Fuid

The ride is a little firmer than the WRX, but not bad at all. If you have to drive/ride-in one before you buy--which I understand completely, you should be able to hook up with someone in the appropriate regional forum.

My personal STi story, for anyone who's interested... I bought an '02 wagon in '01 and loved it. Made some minor mods and started autocrossing. Of course, when the STi was announced, I wanted one and dreamed of buying one, but didn't think I could justify it after having bought the WRX so recently. So I didn't really pursue the STi. I didn't read all the forums and I didn't join imprezawrxsti.com, but I did read magazine STi/Evo comparos and watch them on TV when I got the opportunity. I deliberately avoided catching the STi "bug".

That all changed when I went to the Subaru Challenge in SC and actually laid eyes, hands, and ears on real STis. Everything about the car appealed to me: the looks, the performance, the sound, the interior/dash, ... Coincidentally, when I got back home there was a message from my Subaru salesman, whom I'd told back when the STi was announced to give me buzz if/when they got one it. I called him the next day, and he said they had a blue/silver available. I made plans to stop by after work and check it out. By this point, I was so infected that I seriously considering buying it--and the symptoms were so obvious that wife didn't nix the idea and even agreed to meet me at the dealership.

All went according to plan, and we checked out the car while the saleman and I pointed out and discussed various features. Then, to my surprise and obvious delight, he asked if I wanted to take it for a drive. :eek: I'd heard that most Evi and STi dealers weren't allowing test drives, so I really wasn't expecting that. Well, if I had the bug before the test drive, it nothing compared to how I had it after the drive. I had to have this car. Now. I would have traded my children for it. The salesman, knowing I was firmly hooked, offered to see what he could do with my wagon for trade. Unfortunately, it was late in the day and the bank that held my loan had recently been merged, and they weren't able to find out the balance on the loan.

The next day, the dealer tried to work out some financing, but couldn't come with anything reasonable: either the rate was too high or they wanted an additional down payment. To make matters worse, the dealer had another potential buyer, who, it turned out, had also attended the Subaru Challenge and caught the bug. (He's recently joined us here, BTW. He bought the next STi the dealer got.) Luckily, the next day I checked with my credit union and had no problems getting a good deal. I picked it up that night, and I've been pinching myself periodically ever since. :D

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
i'll drive to you to give you a ride. i live in northern va.i bought my car at southern subaru in waldorf.the ride is bumpy but not in a bad way. post or pm me

·
Registered
668 Posts
i don't think the ride is harsh at all... my lowered accord has a similar ride in terms of stiffness, though a less smooth than the STi. When I think harsh rides, I think of my dad's Z06, Carerra 4 or the RSX I tested last year. But the STi has a great balance between stiffness and comfort.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Agent Chobos said:
Red02 said:
The problem is that the closest dealer to me is 35 miles away...
Geez, you East Coast guys have no concept of distance! Just go get it man! 35-50 miles is nothing, I promise, and imagine the drive back... :D

I drive 20 miles almost every day to go to school... both ways. A 35er to the dealer is nothin.... :)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
In terms of ride...I gave my wife my Volvo XC-70 AWD which had a nice ride. I had no problems going from a luxury car to the STi. The ride is very liveable and enjoyable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ride is very livable especially after spending time in the car. The EVO ride is def. harsher which is why it gets kudos for handling. Check out the handling section of the forums- many people have went with upgraded springs, struts, sways to improve handling and do not report diminished ride quality

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: iaperformance spacers

The ride is firm and can be a little rough, especially on the city roads I have to drive on :roll: On roads that are well paved and not full of pot holes the ride is wonderful. If you want to come up to Baltimore I'll give you a ride. BTW, I drove to NH to get mine....35 miles is nothing. What dealership are you using?

·
Registered
72 Posts
the ride is a little bit harder, but nuttin big to worry about. If you can ride a evo, its kinda like that but its a bit less bytch on your ass.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used to have a lowered Acura Integra Type R. The ride was stiff and rough. I was expecting similar ride with the STI. Boy, was I wrong? The STI actually rides better than the lowered R. STI's ride is stiff but more comfortable than the R and yet, it corners better. I also test drove an EVO and its ride was stiffer than the STI. After the test drive, I almost had an headache. 35 to 50 miles is nothing. Go get it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i went from a lifted xterra to this. i had off road tires that would make soo much noise (didnt care, i had 400+ watt stereo) from the tires i couldnt talk in the car at 65+ mph. this rides waay nicer, but waay stiffer. you notice most of the cracks and holes in the road but i could care less. it never feels too stiff or 'jarring'. i just slow waaay down for speed bumps and entrance ramps etc. the tires emit a light hum but its not bad. its not meant to be a luxury car. its a drivers car. all i have to say is imagine being strapped to a rocket, and thats probably not even close. (and i havent gotten into mine yet, still breaking it in)

get it you WONT regret it. screw the ride. id still get one if it was 10 times worse. its sooo awesome. i have not stopped smiling yet. we are the envy of every import style car owner ever.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, Ok, you guys. I get the point. I took a test drive at Beyer Subaru in Alexandria on Friday. Got a price quote on a white STI for $29,406. The MSRP was $31,814. The white one was still plastic covered, but they threw me the keys to a blue one with 58 miles on it. Nobody went along, just me. Sorry to say, but it made my WRX look pretty weak. I will be picking up my white one on Wednesday. It was 75 miles away, and the Beltway was a bitch on the way home, but it was worth the trip. I guess Friday the 13th can turn out not to be so bad after all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts