IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm staring off into space dreaming about picking my STI up at the dealership and thinking about the modifications I would like to do and suddenly this picture of me at the CA SMOG station appears and I'm jolted back to reality with the question of HOW IS CA SMOG ACCOMPLISHED ON AN ALL WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLE? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Serious Problem with blown rods!

Well, in IL they do it the old fashoined way. They hook up the stuff to your exhaust pipe and that is it. Can't put an AWD vehicle on the rollers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to admit I've never seen a dual set of rollers but at the same time I find it difficult to believe they allow an idle only test just becuase its AWD when all the other cars have to be driven and shifted on the rollers.

·
Registered
631 Posts
They should have a dyanometer that works all four wheels. Most stations that i've been to have at least one.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I know in Arizona my Grand Cherokee had to be tested out of gear since they couldn't accommodate AWD. Since California licenses private businesses to perform SMOG checks I couldn't imagine then having a AWD test bed due to the added cost. That's all I know.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Impressed said:
I'll have to admit I've never seen a dual set of rollers but at the same time I find it difficult to believe they allow an idle only test just becuase its AWD when all the other cars have to be driven and shifted on the rollers.
That is how my Legacy was tested here in IL, idle only.

·
Registered
105 Posts
In PA, they've caught on to this issue and apply the test while operating the vehicle in neutral @2500 RPM. The tech told me that this was actually harder to pass, and when I asked how that logic works, he started in on stuff about loaded versus unloaded engines, and how the smog controls respond better to a load, therefor a car on rollers actually runs cleaner during testing. I'm an old fashoined gear head, so smog control is behond my ken. All I know is mine passed.
Scott

·
Registered
104 Posts
Does anyone really know the size of the turbocharger

According to a news report I heard PA is changing procedure. For cars after 1993 they are using on-baord diagnostics to do the emissions check...

I have no idea what this means and it doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me since the CATs are a big part of the picture...

BUT it definitely said "No tailpipe test for cars after 1993"...

Anyone know how they would be testing using "on-board diagnostics"????

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Re: not enough to go around

The new ECUs or whatever might have a memory feature where it keeps a record of the highest level of certain things, emission gas levels might be one of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts