IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I knew I wanted it on the steering column, but I didn't know how. The replacement steering column cover ("SCC") with the built in gauge cups (Autometer makes it, IIRC) is expensive, and I didn't plan on running two gauges anyhow. It also made the gauge sit up too high for my liking. The other option that seems to be popular is to purchase the curved mounting bracket and simply bolt it through the SCC. This is what I planned on doing until my friend suggested something else. His idea worked great and is, IMHO, the best, cheapest, most functional method for mounting a gauge on the steering column. What we did was to simply use the little metal bracket that came with the gauge. We mounted this bracket on the INSIDE of the SCC. I carefully cut two small slots for the "tabs" of the bracket. I then trimmed the bracket with metal shears so that it fit inside the SCC nicely. Now, the only part of the bracket that is visible is the two tabs, and the bolt that holds the gauge cup to the bracket. It was necessary to cut an additional slot for this bolt because it would not clear the SCC, the tabs simply aren't tall enough. So in total, there are three small slots cut into my SCC. They look kinda like this: l --- l Although I didn't take pictures during the install (I did this back in January), I do have pics of how the gauge looks installed. The first picture below is exactly what I see when driving. Only part of the speedo (if I'm going above 120mph, I'm not really looking at the speedo) and the odometer are blocked from my normal field of vision. If I just lean forward a hair I can see everything just fine. I hope this helps someone.

Attachments

· Premium Member
8,226 Posts
thats a nice place, but i was thinking u should get a pillar or mount it on the dash

· Registered
13,679 Posts
Very nicely done. Subaru should have offered Defi as a factory installed option, heck Defi makes the stock cluster.....I emailed them about it.

· Registered
13,679 Posts
So if one wanted to replace the factory boost gauge with the one rv7 installed, all you have to do is unmount it and use the existing wires (boost, 12v) and hook em up to the new gauge?

· Indiatr0n in yo IWDPL
8,796 Posts
Peleg said:
So if one wanted to replace the factory boost gauge with the one rv7 installed, all you have to do is unmount it and use the existing wires (boost, 12v) and hook em up to the new gauge?
Uhhhh...nooooooo :)

1) Remove your OEM gauge. Leave the 12v and ground wire behind the dash, you won't need them anymore.
2) Remove the vacuum hose that runs into your drivers-side firewall, pull it back into the engine bay.
3) Install the Defi boost sender, using a hose and T-junction with the hose coming off the BPV (same hose the OEM gauge uses).
4) Run Defi boost sender wire to firewall, into glove (or wherever you put the Defi control unit).
5) Wire the power lines from the Defi control unit to the radio (or clock + hazard harnesses like I did).
6) Run the gauge sender wire from the control unit to wherever you mount the new Defi boost gauge.

:)

· Registered
13,679 Posts
Too much work...........lol..........I'll leave the stocker in there.

· Indiatr0n in yo IWDPL
8,796 Posts
Peleg said:
Yeah, I didn't switch until I was decided on getting more than just boost. I got the two gauges now, and when I get EGT, it'll simply be running the sensor wire to the glove, and plugging in the new gauge :) (it's more work initially, but saves you time if you have more gauges).

· Registered
6,610 Posts
Peleg said:
i'll do the install for a detail =P

· Registered
332 Posts
looks great!

· Registered
427 Posts
nice work, innovative :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.