IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious as to how other STi owners really drive their cars. If you're using it as your daily driver, do you guys (and girls) drive it really hard, or do you pretty much take it easy and then get on it once in a while? I never quite know if the way I drive is actually hard on the car, or if it's manufactured for that kind of thing. I guess I would say I drive normally 2/3's of the time, and then am running it the other 3'rd. Is that how others drive, or do you guys really hammer on it all the time? I've always been curious if the way I drive actually abuses the car. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I dont run it hard 24/7, but its so quick now and just wants/feels like it wants to go fast ALL the time. Its almost hard not to drive it fast. My thing is, if i wanna just drive hard/fast for a while, I'll just shift at like 6k, as it pulls very hard at 6 as it does at 7, but i figured thered be much less wear adn tear if i kept off the redline every single time. :) Very fun car, curves are fun too now :). I am around 14500 miles and Im finally felt out the STi and can really drive it like its made to be driven :)

Robert~

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just bought mine 27th of Jan 04...breaking it in..but seems like every monkey in a car wants some so if the road is clear I just pull up to my 3200 buzzer rev limit and then shortly past it to 4k.....and let off! By then lol the guy is wondering what just happend? Thing is I drive slow now in the car so I get the [email protected]@ 's always blowing on me then attempting the flyby!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
lol the flyby... i never understood the point of that. Its always fun catching them and passing :)... hehe dang cheaters

Robert~

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
ExRangeNowSTI said:
I just pull up to my 3200 buzzer rev limit and then shortly past it to 4k.....and let off!
Just fyi, if you are going WOT to 4k, then you should know that's not really recommended per Subaru's break-in procedure either. There are varying opinions on what's really necessary for break-in so take it for what it is worth. :)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
staticx313 said:
lol the flyby... i never understood the point of that.
Yesterday I accelerated briskly to get up to and through an intersection that I know has short greens. Made it though fine, look back and see a jetta coming through behind me. AFTER I had slowed back down, he managed to catch up to me and then proceeded to hang all over me and act like he was trying to get around me, apparently sincerely believing he had caught me thanks to his engine instead of my brakes! :lol: I wasn't going to race so I just continued on and in any event he had to turn off.

It is not the first time I've been accelerating along, had someone catch up to me after I had slowed way back down, and then had them think we were racing or something. I guess the stopping power of the brembos fools people into thinking they are rapidly accelerating towards you!

BTW, I'm like bigman32, I run easy 2/3 of the time or more, and inject a little more life into my driving about 1/3 or slightly less of the time.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
kits

I don't drive it hard all the time, when I'm on it, I'm on it. In the same token, I'm hard on it, but I never abuse it. I always warm it up before and cool it down after, and I'm gentle with the controls: I don't slam gears, power shift, or clutch drop. I regularly check the tire pressure and fluid levels, and I inspect the vehicle carefully before each drive. I eat right, work out regularly, ... you get the idea. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I run it hard in the dirt and pavement twisties about 1/3 of the time. If I could run it hard more often I would, but I have to work to pay for the thing(can't find a sponsor to buy me one for fun). I'm not to into drag racing. --Sin52

·
Registered
779 Posts
Slowride said:
I don't drive it hard all the time, when I'm on it, I'm on it. In the same token, I'm hard on it, but I never abuse it. I always warm it up before and cool it down after, and I'm gentle with the controls: I don't slam gears, power shift, or clutch drop. I regularly check the tire pressure and fluid levels, and I inspect the vehicle carefully before each drive. I eat right, work out regularly, ... you get the idea. :)
I'm with ya, I do the same exact thing. I think its a huge factor affecting reliability in any machine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm about a 80/20 on the driving. I do get on it from time to time and we have some nice narrow two lane (old route 66) here to play on. Don't drop the clutch (have a drag car for that), but I do speed shift when some Honda thinks he is bad. You are doing just fine.........enjoy

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
ExRangeNowSTI said:
There are varying opinions on what's really necessary for break-in so take it for what it is worth. :)
E.g., me: Huh??

Having built motors and abused the fresh motors of every new car I have owned, I can't say that I have ever seen any ill effects.

Regardless, I run mine as fast or slow as the notion strikes me on daily basis. I have yet to do a track day, autocross, or hillclimb with it, but I won't be 'babying it'! :D

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Daily driver here. For the first miles, say 1-2, shift at 3500rpm or so. Once its warmed up, I'll do 4000-4200 at most ...

On my way back home, theres a long open road with no cops ... I'll hit 6krpm on that open stretch ... stress reliever ... :D

·
Registered
542 Posts
Unfortunately, I got a heavy foot so on the street .... when possible, I am jetting around w/ respect to the law. But on the highway/freeways, I am always chilling on cruise control maybe 5 to 15 mph over the speed limit. Overall, I guess I push my vehicle up too and between 4500 to 5500 rpms before I shift. From what Ive heard, its better to shift @ higher rpms. Either way, its just too much fun to drive.

Ps - Its my daily driver. So far I have 19200 miles on my STi. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
same as everyone here, i used to do 3.5k shifts while breaking it in, now that im at 1500 i shift about 4 to 4.5k shifts, i dont do too much hard driving daily, i save that for racing :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
I dont baby the car because I feel like if I do it would be like wasting my money. Why would I buy a car with so much potential and not using it like it was intended for.

One more thing, I find funny the fact that people that buy brand new M3s dont use them alot.....ive seen many 2001 M3s with under 15k miles....Its hard for me not enjoy a car that has alot of power.

But yeah, to answer the question: I enjoy the car :lol:

·
Registered
347 Posts
sounds like we're all pretty much unable to resist hammering the thing on a regular basis. pretty much every time i get on the freeway i look at it as an opportunity to surprise someone. there is one really tight on-ramp on my way to work, and knowing how quick the sti is and how little room you need to get up to speed, it's fun to pin it getting on the freeway, then just kind of ease off at about 60-65 and wait for the guy you just shot onto the freeway in front of come by with his jaw on his lap...

·
Registered
240 Posts
i drive about 50 /50 .wheni drive hard i'm redlining every gear!i bought mine near sac(dont go there,another story!)and they told me it was already broken in and to "enjoy the car".i went over
100mph before i had a 100 miles on it!she has no problems and runs great!much enjoyment

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It can actually be detrimental not to gun it once in awhile. If you don't exercise the wastegate now and then, they can get carboned up to the point of being non-functional. (I swear I'm not making this up. I've seen it happen.)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Today I ran the car the hardest I have in terms of really pushing it in the turns and accelerating hard out of turns and standing on the brakes at the last minute before curves to slow it down. It felt great, I was on a windy, isolated road way out in the boonies showing another person the car's capabilities and we were both quite impressed. I've never driven it that well before and we both enjoyed it immensely.

He did mention afterwards that one time when I slid through a curve that he was pretty nervous but I told him that if he'd been driving and getting the feedback through the steering wheel, he would have felt the control and realized the car was well in hand.

What a blast this car is... it sure is wasted on the daily commute!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts