IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you rev match when you down shift too turn or something like that?

I never got the idea...:confused:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Push the clutch in and blip the throtle to match the rev of the gear you are downshifting to. It should be super smooth once you get it down.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ohhh..... so i push clutch in blip the gas in N or the gear that your in... then down shift? or downshift first then hold the clutch then blip the gas then let go of the clutch and your foot still on the gas??

·
Authorized Vendor
2,885 Posts
It simply takes paitence and practice! I cannot stress that enough. Interested in some tips?

While parked in your driveway or work or whever, turn the car on. Leave it out of gear and fiddle with blippin' the throttle. Learn how much pressure is needed to create X rpms. Figure how much much of a blip you need for 500, 1000, etc. You can start to pay attention to how much the revs fall when you upshift and learn a few spots to play around with. There are two reasons to downshift obviously, braking and to speed up. Either of these require a different type of blip in my book. If I am going into a 45mph turn at 130 mph my right foot will be johnny on the spot with heel to toe, blipping the throttle and braking to slow the car down (engine assitance). However, if I am merging onto the highway or what have you, I give that blip a different feel in order to downshift appropriately to speed up.

I am not sure if that bit makes sense at all, its late here and I am quite tired. Just thought I'd throw that out there though.

Happy rev matching!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
hahah learn this in like 2 weeks ull get it down nicely, and then learn how to Heel-toe lol thats were the fun is ;)

Once u learn how to heel-toe ull take corners faster, more controlled, and wont lose anytime by shifting after the turn :D , makes driving the car sooooo much beter :D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
dont worry if u dont get it the first few times . . . itl come with more practice and just give it time for u to get to know wat rpm is what speed :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
You definitely need to learn heel toe first. I have a nice exercise that I do regularly to kill time on the freeway. Just go back and forth between gears while you're cruisin. Shift every 3-4 seconds and try to rev match so that it's perfectly smooth. You'll get a great feel for your gearing and can also develop great shifting technique if you shift quickly and put your hand back on the wheel between each shift. You'll learn not to grab the shifter and get very smooth at guiding the stick into the right gear. People will be impressed when you can drive it smoother than if it was an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
RCane said:
You definitely need to learn heel toe first. I have a nice exercise that I do regularly to kill time on the freeway. Just go back and forth between gears while you're cruisin. Shift every 3-4 seconds and try to rev match so that it's perfectly smooth. You'll get a great feel for your gearing and can also develop great shifting technique if you shift quickly and put your hand back on the wheel between each shift. You'll learn not to grab the shifter and get very smooth at guiding the stick into the right gear. People will be impressed when you can drive it smoother than if it was an automatic transmission.
You learn to rev match before heel toe because it will be used MUCH more frequently in every day driving, i.e coming to a red light but then it turns green and you need to go quickly. Heel toe is really only necessary on multiple high speed turns where you must brake through the turn and accelerate out. In most cases on a turn on the street you can just revmatch and then accelerate through.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Garo666 said:
dont worry if u dont get it the first few times . . . itl come with more practice and just give it time for u to get to know wat rpm is what speed :)
This is OT, but is that your car in your sig?
That's pretty sick looking, man :cool:
Anymore pics?

·
Registered
93 Posts
lidrew said:
You learn to rev match before heel toe because it will be used MUCH more frequently in every day driving...
If you learn how to heel-toe, it just becomes part of your normal driving and rev matching while down shifting is easier. If you're breaking to a light you just rev match down through the gears while breaking so you're always in the correct gear when it's time to floor it again. Assuming we're all trying to increase our driving skills, "necessary" really has nothing to do with it... It's the most efficient way to combine braking and down-shifting.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Ihave big feet so i can brake with my toe and the ball of the front part of my foot and then i blip the gas with the side of foot. I keep my heel anchored on the floor. Im not for sure if this is the best way for me to do it but it works when im hard on the brakes and downshifting. The next phase will be learning how to keep the revs up in a turn.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
rgt said:
Ihave big feet so i can brake with my toe and the ball of the front part of my foot and then i blip the gas with the side of foot. I keep my heel anchored on the floor. Im not for sure if this is the best way for me to do it but it works when im hard on the brakes and downshifting. The next phase will be learning how to keep the revs up in a turn.
Ideally (i.e. not on the street) you will be downshifting before you turn.

·
Registered
552 Posts
RCane said:
If you learn how to heel-toe, it just becomes part of your normal driving and rev matching while down shifting is easier. If you're breaking to a light you just rev match down through the gears while breaking so you're always in the correct gear when it's time to floor it again. Assuming we're all trying to increase our driving skills, "necessary" really has nothing to do with it... It's the most efficient way to combine braking and down-shifting.
.... +1

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i didn't learn to drive stick until i got my sti. it was my first manual tranny car. you'll get the rev-match downshift easily. just takes a little practice. clutch-in, rev match and shift simultaneously, clutch out. after that, try heel-toe, double-clutching, and heel-toe double clutching. this is the order i learned in.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
question.. when you downshift, do you let go of the gas when you press the clutch in? or do you just keep your foot on the throttle while pressing the clutch? know what im talking about?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
^ uhm; clutch in(without giving gas, like u normally do), blip throttle to match next gear's rpm while you are moving the shifter to the new gear, then let out and it should be pretty smooth

1 - 20 of 130 Posts