IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
moderator edit: this is the later portion of a split thread. the first half discussed that our rear brakes use both pads and shoes. the thread then turned to a discussion of how to park when your brakes are hot after a track session.

bitabur said:
Leave it in gear, forget the ebrake.
so maybe this thread should have been how to stop/park after getting off the track. ;) if you use the regular brake to stop in your parking spot, you'll leave the pads sitting on the rotors, which is not what you want. with the separate parking brake system, you could use that to save your pads/rotors (with hughbob's precaution in mind). or you turn the engine off while rolling in to your spot, put it in gear and release the clutch when you want to stop. which do you do? or is there another way?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Singletrack said:
The Volvo 850Turbo also has the same setup : )
:( guess i've been unknowingly living in a cave all my life. i can see now that multi-piston rear calipers would need something like this. just wouldn't have thought single-piston calipers would use shoes for the parking brake.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes, even the lowly ford explorer with rear discs uses the same setup... I have them on my '82 Jeep CJ7.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
4MLA1FN said:
bitabur said:
Leave it in gear, forget the ebrake.
so maybe this thread should have been how to stop/park after getting off the track. ;) if you use the regular brake to stop in your parking spot, you'll leave the pads sitting on the rotors, which is not what you want. with the separate parking brake system, you could use that to save your pads/rotors (with hughbob's precaution in mind). or you turn the engine off while rolling in to your spot, put it in gear and release the clutch when you want to stop. which do you do? or is there another way?

Just drive into the spot, stop with the brakes like normal. Shut off the engine, put it in first gear or reverse (dont park it on a hill obviously- it should still be fine but who wants to risk that), release the clutch and dont put the ebrake off. When you take your foot off the brake pedal the main brakes will be released, and there wont be anything touching your calipers.

·
Registered
347 Posts
if you wanna take this all the way, my buddy who is an instructor at skip barber had me roll my car about a foot or 2 forward after it was parked for a couple of minutes just to be safe. remember, the pads are ALWAYS touching the rotor, even w/ your foot off the pedal. just barely, but they do touch. i've heard students crack rotors in the pit lane at laguna, the second half is on a hill, and not all of them remember not to hold the pedal on...tink...new rotor...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't know about this. Even normally aspirated cars should be 'cooled down', never mind turbocharged cars like the STi. Tranny, rotors, engine, would be hotter than normal and I don't feel it's a good idea to just let the car sit in that condition. Even though I always do a complete cool down lap at 2-3k RPM with little to no braking, when I exit the track, I still drive around for a few minutes with AC MAX on (forces cooling fan to be on).

-kg

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
norcal-sti said:
if you wanna take this all the way, my buddy who is an instructor at skip barber had me roll my car about a foot or 2 forward after it was parked for a couple of minutes just to be safe.
yep, i believe that was to make the rotor runout push the pads back into the caliper and off the rotor. this is why i was saying above to coast into your spot and stop by getting off the clutch.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
bitabur said:
Just drive into the spot, stop with the brakes like normal. Shut off the engine, put it in first gear or reverse (dont park it on a hill obviously- it should still be fine but who wants to risk that), release the clutch and dont put the ebrake off. When you take your foot off the brake pedal the main brakes will be released, and there wont be anything touching your calipers.
I second this :thumbup:

·
Registered
347 Posts
1) if your rotors aren't warped, there isn't any "runout"...
2) like i said before, the pads ALWAYS touch the rotors. same thing goes for motorcycles. doesn't matter if your foot is off the pedal or not. next time your car's on a jack, turn the wheel and listen...
i totally agree w/ driving around to cool everything off, the longer the better, but you don't have to use the compression of a switched off motor to stop the car, just stop normally and leave it in gear so it doesn't roll. we moved my car that extra foot or so because i didn't get that much cool down time.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
norcal-sti said:
1) if your rotors aren't warped, there isn't any "runout"...
sure, every disc has runout. stoptech's rotors are ground to 0.002" of runout. as a comparison, the runout *limit* for the sti is 0.003" in front; 0.0028" in the rear. these are tiny numbers and may have little effect on lifting the pads off the rotors for the purposes i was suggesting. (dunno. this is just what i was told.) you are right about jacking the car and hearing pad noise when turning the wheel.

norcal-sti said:
...just stop normally and leave it in gear so it doesn't roll...
cool. (pun intended.) that's what i'll do from now on. thanks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
They're on and they ROCK!

ok, now that this thread has been moved...how are you doing on wear w/ the stock tires? i probably did 20-24 laps of a 30 second course that day, and really didn't see too much wear at all. maybe these things will last a little longer than i thought...they have 4000mi on them now, and still look pretty good. freeway miles, i guess.

·
Registered
347 Posts
by the way 4MLA1FN, i'm getting pretty jealous seeing those pics of your car at the usgp. not as bad as when one of my kart racing buddies went and called me while holding his cell phone up in the air during the first lap, though. that reallllly hurt!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Speedline or OZ Rally Rims

norcal-sti said:
by the way 4MLA1FN, i'm getting pretty jealous seeing those pics of your car at the usgp...
:D (you've been digging through old threads, i guess.)

norcal-sti said:
...not as bad as when one of my kart racing buddies went and called me while holding his cell phone up in the air during the first lap, though. that reallllly hurt!
hey, i've done that too. ;) but speaking of getting jealous: you're a karter!! i got hooked after doing the indoor track at the nurburgring, then taking bondurant's shifter kart course. wow!!! karting is the most bang for the buck, for sure. but i won't be able to dive in for several more years. :(

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
norcal-sti said:
...how are you doing on wear w/ the stock tires? i probably did 20-24 laps of a 30 second course that day, and really didn't see too much wear at all.
yep, that's my experience. my tires have 11kmiles and two track events for a total of 160minutes of track time. i just rotated the tires again and they look really good. the shoulder are perfect; the edge of one of the inner grooves on one front tires was a little torn up, but nothing serious. i might get another spring/summer out of these.

·
Registered
347 Posts
good to hear about the tire wear. yeah, the karting thing is pretty fun. i race a 125ICC shifter. we also go to an indoor place down by san jose every now and then, it's slow, but still pretty fun. if you're ever out in the sf bay area, let me know and i'll get you some laps up at sears point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts