IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
simple question. i will be getting mine either this weekend if i'm lucky or next month... & its been an itching question.

connie

·
Registered
105 Posts
It is really incredible actually. Nothing like anything I'm used to.

I took a turn hard for the first time last night. It was a left turn at an intersection with no traffic around. I swung the wheel over hard without braking for the turn and the car just kind of "rotated" around the corner. It almost felt like it had started to oversteer but I didn't have to correct for that at all. The car just straightened out in the direction it was pointed. Very nice... I would be surprised if you were disappointed once you got your car.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I took a 50 mph ramp at 77 mph (confirmed by radar). The STI corners flat with just a tad of body roll. The tires and the suspension works well together, and handles better than my modified Audi S4.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The handling feels amazing. As I said before, the compromise of the over abnormalities in the road is very very good without giving up any kind of performance when you lean on it.

In just a few words, I'd sum up the 'feel' of the car as 'confident stability'. I can't get over the structural feel of the car....as if it was chiseled from a solid block of steel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
hatchy said:
I took a 50 mph ramp at 77 mph (confirmed by radar). The STI corners flat with just a tad of body roll. The tires and the suspension works well together, and handles better than my modified Audi S4.
Ok you have a 300whp Civic and a moded S4 AND an STi......I so hate you....
And does "confirmed by radar" mean you let the cops catch up to you? :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with everyone else.....the handling is amazing. As the magazines said, the front does tend to understeer if you are hard on the throttle through a turn.....but.....what they didn't tell you is that if you switch the DCCD to manual and put most of the torque to the rear you can dial out all but the slightest bit of understeer. How's that for adjustability? :lol:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Re: Headlights

The handling is amazing. :p

I was taking a highway on-ramp (circle) at 60mph and the car was stable and sticking. My brother was behind me in his modded S4 and he could only take it at 55mph.

I was testing the limitations of the car on a closed circut road and had the tail out twice...seemed really hard to break the tires loose. I took a right hand turn which most people would take at about 15mph and I was taking it at 60mph...just awesome :D

S

·
0 Posts
BleedPurpleSTi said:
I agree with everyone else.....the handling is amazing. As the magazines said, the front does tend to understeer if you are hard on the throttle through a turn.....but.....what they didn't tell you is that if you switch the DCCD to manual and put most of the torque to the rear you can dial out all but the slightest bit of understeer. How's that for adjustability? :lol:
Has anyone else tried this? Those of us that are still on waiting lists would like to know. Since the closest we have come to driving the car is reading STi owners accounts.

I will state the question again. Has anyone else tried this and is the understeer mostly eliminated when you do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I couldn't have said it better than Rob did in his post about the handling and general feel of the car. It feels like it came off an entirely different assembly line than my WRX did. I am sticking to my guns about babying it during break-in so I know virtually nothing about its ultimate performance envelope. But yesterday I did take a long right-hand sweeper of an on-ramp during a monsoon-like downpour using constant part throttle. As we entered the freeway my wife just looked at me. The car was nowhere near its limit, there was little or no roll and no hint of hydroplaning; it was just on rails -- simply awesome. Forget the reviews. This is the real deal folks.

I haven't messed with the DCCD yet nor have I applied anything like full throttle so cannot comment on the latest question. I have not experienced any understeer on the Automatic setting in moderate driving, just incredible grip.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just posted on the general thread that JJ started "What the hell were they..." about spending this sunday afternoon in a vacant industrial park, playing with the car and trying to get it to do all kinds of amazing things. It was fantastic=the car out performed anything I could come up with, and the brakes=unbelievable. What an afternoon.SFRinNJ

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree handling is unbelievable. A M3 was tring to keep up with me in the twisties here in the mountains. I don't know if he was a bad driver or not but acceleration and steering wise he could not keep up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
WRX STi

Hammerwielder said:
But yesterday I did take a long right-hand sweeper of an on-ramp during a monsoon-like downpour using constant part throttle. As we entered the freeway my wife just looked at me. The car was nowhere near its limit, there was little or no roll and no hint of hydroplaning; it was just on rails -- simply awesome. Forget the reviews. This is the real deal folks.

I haven't messed with the DCCD yet nor have I applied anything like full throttle so cannot comment on the latest question. I have not experienced any understeer on the Automatic setting in moderate driving, just incredible grip.
The manual suggests to put DCCD to auto or full "Lock" when encountering surfaces other than "dry" - unless you're Tommi or Petter. :wink: I have been running the DCCD in "diff free" mode (all the way to the back) and any hint of understeer is not present... but i wouldn't want to do so in the wet or snow...

S

·
0 Posts
rokuSTi said:
Hammerwielder said:
...I haven't messed with the DCCD yet nor have I applied anything like full throttle so cannot comment on the latest question. I have not experienced any understeer on the Automatic setting in moderate driving, just incredible grip.
The manual suggests to put DCCD to auto or full "Lock" when encountering surfaces other than "dry" - unless you're Tommi or Petter. :wink: I have been running the DCCD in "diff free" mode (all the way to the back) and any hint of understeer is not present... but i wouldn't want to do so in the wet or snow...
Thanks for answering my question. I was hoping that some experimental STi owner would figure out what the reviewers didn't. "How to use the DCCD to your advantage". 8)

Congratulations, well done! and please let us know if you discover any other helpful tips.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts